How to remove the restriction from the OEM y-pipe on a 2011 Hemi 5.7 W/ factory duals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtodt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport - Mineral Grey
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If there is anyone out there that is wanting to get rid of the restriction in the factory y-pipe and does not want to pay to have new pipe welded in or does not want to lose the factory look? I have the answer. I would not recommend you to attempt this if you are not mechanically inclined. You will need mechanical skills, welding skills and metal fabrication skills.

Tools needed: Plasma torch, oxy acetylene torch, mig or tig welder. I used ratchet wrenches to take the bolts and nuts loose, I think that boxed end wrenches or socket and ratchet would work as well. 14mm bolts and 15mm nuts are what you will be taking loose.

Cost of modification: $0 if you have all of the above.

Time to allow: It took me around 3.5 hours.

DO NOT attempt if you don't have the skills or tools necessary to complete the task.

Step 1: Either use a lift or jack stands to give you some clearance off the ground.

Step 2: Use some penetrating oil to lube the four bolts where the factory exhaust bolts up to the exhaust manifolds, the joint where the y-pipe goes into the 3" pipe to the muffler and the clamp nuts, the joint where the 3" pipe goes into the muffler and the clamp nut.

Step 3: If the exhaust is cool enough to touch, unplug the four sensors behind the cats, two on each side.

Step 4: Loosen the two clamps on the 3" pipe that goes to the muffler. Take a pry bar and push the muffler back so that it will release from the 3" pipe. Remove the 3" pipe from the truck.

Step 5: Remove the four bolts that mount the exhaust to the exhaust manifolds. Take the exhaust loose from the manifolds and remove from the truck.

Step 6: Once you have the exhaust in your hands it is easy to see the restriction and what you will need to remove. Look into the end where the collar is welded around the two pipes. You can immediately see the design flaw where the pipes are smashed together. Now you will need to assess the exterior of the pipe and where you will want to cut with the plasma torch. Once you have made the cut with the plasma torch use the oxy acetylene torch to finish the cuts where the plasma would not fit. Be careful not to hack the pipe up to bad. You can use the gas torch to get into the open end of the pipe to finish torching out the restriction.

Step 7: With the restriction removed you can begin to use the torch and a pry bar to form the steel around to where it will be tighter to weld. You can actually use the torch to heat the steel to open up the pipe where it is bent before the y. Heat it and use the pry bar to form the steel. Be careful not to melt the pipe.

Step 8: Now weld the joints solid and reinstall the exhaust.

I immediately noticed the that the exhaust was throatier and the throttle response was more responsive. I am not one to waste my gas or rubber, but before my truck would not spin the tires form a dead stop it might chirp them a little. Now it will spin the tires when you floor it. I had no idea that the OEM exhaust was so restrictive until I modified mine, WOW. Now all there is to do is finish it off with a Magna Flow cat back system.

I did not take that many pics as I was doing this. You can see the before and after from the end of the pipe. You can really see how much it opened it up.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good write up man. Good alternative, if you don't want to spend 30 bucks on the magna flow y.

OP
OP
J

jtodt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport - Mineral Grey
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you. Keeping the stock look was more important to me than spending the money to have it done.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
very nice write up.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
thanks....Mineral gray sport FTW!!!

hemi_hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
interested that a little section of sheet metal can be so restrictive

Jonpruitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought the magnaflow y-pipe and I'm having it installed saturday for $60. Mandrel bent and stainless.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Nice mod. Love to do that on mine.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Grubrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is a well written write-up indeed.

However, not many people will have the tools required or the expertise/confidence in taking on this task.... which can be tedious for the novice/amateur.

From go to whoa, it'll take an exhaust shop no longer than app. 40mins to weld on a Y-pipe [Magnaflow 10778] and you should pay no more than about $50.00 parts/labor out-the-door.

Time, often, is far important to me than money.

But like I said, nice write-up indeed.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Re: How to remove the restriction from the OEM y-pipe on a 2011 Hemi 5.7 W/ factory d

Do you think this could of been done with just a gas torch and not a plasma cutter

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Re: How to remove the restriction from the OEM y-pipe on a 2011 Hemi 5.7 W/ factory d

If you simply upgrade the "Y" pipe on an otherwise stock exhaust...will it make a difference?

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Its got to help some but not enough for me to buy a y pipe and then pay someone someone to install it. But if I can do it in a couple hrs with a cut off wheel and a welder while drinking beer in my garage sounds like a win win to me

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I think it would take more than a couple hours just because you would have to remove it all, and cut out the restricting parts, then probably bolt it back up to tack it back together, and then you might as well pull it again to make finish welding easier, and then... lol

I want to do it this way, mostly for looks, but can't find the time. On a different note, a gas torch should be fine instead of a plasma cutter. A skilled hand on a gas torch with the right tips can look as good as plasma anyway.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
I'm always skeptical of the butt-dyno, but if you couldn't spin the tires, and now you can, then there likely is a decent amount of improvement to be had.

When I put the duals on my 1500, it was well out of warranty, so I went true duals. On my 2500 I just put on the Flowmaster fake dual kit. Which still flows better, but I was still curious how ugly that Y joint was inside. I'm not eager to cut the stock Y pipe off to put on an after market, but your method for opening it up might not be a bad route. Thanks for the write up, looks much better!

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just don't see how that will allow a trk to go from not being able to spin its tires to spinning just with that lil change....Maybe it was cold tires,wet roads,dust on the roads who knows but that lil minor change in flow I doubt will offer enuf tq to do that..
If that's the case with a diablo tuner and a custom map you would never keep tires on it..lol