How to repalce T-stat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So when I started this job I thought replacing the t-stat on these newer Rams was going to be like every other T-stat I have done which has only been 2 on 2 different vehicles. Well I was slightly wrong. Everything is identical except for the seal around the t-stat...yes I said around if that surprises anybody cause it did surprise me a bit. Reason why is because the other two vehicles I've done one on used a seal that went between the engine and the housing.

Step one: Drain the radiator. I didn't take a picture of the drain because I didn't think about it during the whole process but the drain is located at the bottom left hand side of the radiator. Give it a few good turns with a 17mm wrench and then it should pop right out and start making a huge mess, at least in my case it did....

Step two: Remove two bolts on housing once sufficiently drained which is just having the top hose empty.

Step three: Remove t-stat. Unless you're a big strong man and can man-handle that stat out of there with your hand, the easiest way I found to remove it was grabbing an end of the arch with a pair of pliers and pull, it'll pop right out.

Step four: Pull the seal off of the old t-stat and put it around the new one.

Step five: Do steps three and two in reverse. You will need to work that seal into the space the thermostat sits in by the way, it's a little bit of a tight fit. But if you don't ensure that the seal is in the hole nicely or at least half way, you could risk ripping the seal I'd imagine when you go to reattach the housing and then you'd have a leak.

And finally step six: Make sure you have reinstalled the plug at the bottom of the radiator, fill radiator until bubbles stop coming up and the level stays about the same then turn on your truck letting it warm up until the t-stat opens and put in more fluid if necessary. Once the engine is at operating temp, make sure fluid is about an 1" below the top of the spout and close her up. Be sure to check it within the next 24 to 48 hours if you do some driving to ensure proper fluid level.

And now here's pictures:

I have each flag marked with the step number they belong to
DIY1.jpg

And here's the new t-stat with the seal around it so you can see what I meant by it going around the thermostat itself.
IMG_0596.jpg
IMG_0597.jpg

And a zoomed out picture of it installed
IMG_0598.jpg

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
exactly what i needed. thanks for the thread man! much appreciated

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did you get the t-stat? I have looked through the Autozone site and they do not list anything.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
bought mine through Moe's performance. he's a vendor on this site

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why would you go to all this trouble and reuse the old seal? A new seal will guarantee no leak. Reusing the old seal - high possibility of a leak.

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why would you go to all this trouble and reuse the old seal? A new seal will guarantee no leak. Reusing the old seal - high possibility of a leak.

Well...

A) honestly, I didn't even think about a seal at all
B) I had no idea these have this type of seal. All other vehicles I've replaced one on had the cork material type seal that went between the housing and the block...not a rubber one that wraps around the t-stat.
C) I'm a jet mechanic and I've probably inspected/reused/replaced mid to high hundreds of seals on low/high pressure components. I'm pretty sure I know how to inspect a seal and tell whether it's good to be reused or not and seeing as how that seal was in perfect shape, I felt safe reusing it.

Reusing an old seal doesn't guarantee a high possibility of a leak depending on it's location and what it's exposed to. As long as a rubber seal hasn't torn or dried out, it's most likely safe to reuse as long as you don't abuse the seal going back in...but that last part is true with a seal of any condition.

Hell, a new seal doesn't guarantee no leak either. Ever watch any of those mechanic shows where they bring in an old car and do a complete rebuild with all brand new parts? And I mean every things brand new, the motor, the radiator, and all the hoses. Ever see one where they sprung a coolant leak when trying to start it for the first time? I have, a good number of them too.

Pretty much comes down to what you know and what you're willing to do. However, on a motor, that's probably the only seal I'd be willing to reuse. All others such as fuel injectors, heads, manifolds, ect....I'd definitely replace because I'd be damned if I'd go back and redo an extensive job like one of those. A t-stat seal isn't even remotely a big deal in my book to even second guess reusing the seal as long as I believe it was good. Hell, honestly...the thought never even occurred to me when I did it and 4-5 thousand miles later, not a single drop.

Last edited:

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry...I wasn't doubting your knowledge or ability. I know it's not a big job - just a pita to drain coolant and get it back together. I had an '05 Magnum with hemi that had a t-stat go in it and had to replace it. I'm sure that was more of a pita because of the height off the ground and no lift at the time. I'm just thinking with numerous heat - cold cycles the rubber may not be as good as it is when new.

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's alright, I didn't take it that way. Might have come across that way because I was pretty tired when I wrote that. Things tend to get worded and maybe dragged on a bit when I'm tired.

When it comes to a seal at that spot that goes through cycles like that, I'm sure they made sure to make those seals out of heat temp resistant material so that it is capable of lasting a long time.

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
replaced mine not to long ago, thing was shot and cause both of my o2 sensors to go out, but wasnt to difficult to do. this is nice tho

cajun87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This might sound dumb, but why would you need to change your T-stat on an almost new 4th gen? I'm new to the ram world, but on the last two fords I owned they had 200,000 miles on them with the stock t-stat. Now, I do live in Louisiana where we don't have real temperatures like you boys up north have, would that have something to do with your need to swap so soon?

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm I went to Orely and asked for what their systems called for... They handed me their off branded "Dex Cool" 50/50 blend... it says for use in "GM cars and trucks"... Guess i need to take that back?

As long as its the orange coolant your ok.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This might sound dumb, but why would you need to change your T-stat on an almost new 4th gen? I'm new to the ram world, but on the last two fords I owned they had 200,000 miles on them with the stock t-stat. Now, I do live in Louisiana where we don't have real temperatures like you boys up north have, would that have something to do with your need to swap so soon?

He put in a lower temp tstat. Opens up at a lower temp. Keeps the motor at a lower temp

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
used this write up today to finally install my 180.......thats been sitting here for a LONG time.

My ******* couldn't find the drain (derr). Called Matt, he knew where to find it! LOL

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
good thing about this forum..... someone on here has probably already done what you're planning on doing, and are willing to share some knowledge

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
also........the Jet stat has the oring on it. ;)

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
JJ...post a pic of that drain plug for everyone else so that they know where to look. Did you lose much coolant after you drained the radiator?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I'll nab one asap!

I didn't lose much.....none from where the tstat is at (maybe a drop), most of what I lost was due to pulling the plug out really fast and the **** went everywhere. LOL