HOW TO: Replace exhaust manifold studs VIDEO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have the infamous HEMI tick? It might be as simple as replacing a broken exhaust manifold stud...

I've had them snap on the same cylinders closest to the Cat on both manifolds on my 2009 and my 2014.

Check out this video I made on the repair and how to get it done yourself in your garage. :favorites13:

https://youtu.be/XUAtpIhX0q8
[yt]XUAtpIhX0q8[/yt]

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If this isn't a STICKY ..

It NEEDS TO BE!!!

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Been there, done that. took photos instead LOL. one thing I would add is I added heat to all of my bolts before I hit them with a wrench. this gave me piece of mind when I went to remove them.

good video. yes, it is a tight fit in there.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Curious if those that have single out exhaust or any mods of the exhaust have the same issue. I have always blamed the manifolds but maybe it is some kind of force on them from the way the exhaust is routed. I am assuming though that dual out and single out use same method before up to the muffler.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Curious if those that have single out exhaust or any mods of the exhaust have the same issue. I have always blamed the manifolds but maybe it is some kind of force on them from the way the exhaust is routed. I am assuming though that dual out and single out use same method before up to the muffler.

IMO, opening things up after the cat cant hurt. It can oly help expell heat from the entire system.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMO, opening things up after the cat cant hurt. It can oly help expell heat from the entire system.
Fwiw , I've had the Carven Competitor Series Muffler installed for probably 10k & I have about 50k on my 14 Ram and my manifold bolts are fine .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

It seems to be that the last cylinder closest to the cat that are typically the resulting in broken studs first. Same studs snapped on my 09 in the same place. They look roasted compared to the rest of the manifold and I would be pretty confident in saying that having the CAT that close to the manifold is the culprit for those studs breaking along with the cast manifold/alum heads. The CAT creates a ton of heat and having all of that heat backed up right there next to the manifold is never a good thing.

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fwiw , I've had the Carven Competitor Series Muffler installed for probably 10k & I have about 50k on my 14 Ram and my manifold bolts are fine .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mine snapped at around the 90-100k mile mark so you'll be fine for awhile. Either way swapping the muffler won't matter much, its the stock CAT's that are causing excess heat to be built up right next to the last cylinders on the manifold...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It seems to be that the last cylinder closest to the cat that are typically the resulting in broken studs first. Same studs snapped on my 09 in the same place. They look roasted compared to the rest of the manifold and I would be pretty confident in saying that having the CAT that close to the manifold is the culprit for those studs breaking along with the cast manifold/alum heads. The CAT creates a ton of heat and having all of that heat backed up right there next to the manifold is never a good thing.

So a cat back system is what we want...:favorites13:

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So a cat back system is what we want...:favorites13:

Well sort of. Cat-back systems are typically exactly that "From the Cat-back". So the factory cats would still be in place. If you really wanted to try to fix the issue I would do FULL exhaust and do hi-flow cats a bit further away from the headers.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great news and thanks for a great thread Sir !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jdwildman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
This is an awesome presentation on this issue. Need to get mine replaced. Have had the issue for about 8 months. Quote from the stealership is about $1000 for them to replace them. 60% labor cost on that quote. I’ll be pinning this thread for sure. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is an awesome presentation on this issue. Need to get mine replaced. Have had the issue for about 8 months. Quote from the stealership is about $1000 for them to replace them. 60% labor cost on that quote. I’ll be pinning this thread for sure. Thanks again!

Wow $1,000 WTF [emoji44][emoji44]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have 45k miles on my 2015 RAM 1500 and the upper rear right bolt broke. The dealership replaced the bolts, manifold and gasket under the drive train warranty. They said the manifold was warped.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

No problem! Glad you found it helpful! Hopefully I won't have to do it again for awhile :roflsquared: