How to: Run speaker wire through the driver's side door factory boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbo1man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Lonestar
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the process of upgrading my system, and wanted to share how I ran speaker wire through the factory boot in the front driver's side door. I'll be running an active 2-way front with factory rear (fill) and a sub. The driver's side front door is the most difficult of the doors, hence this share. I was running out of sunlight and didn't get a chance to take photo's of everything along the way, but hopefully this makes sense and that the photo captures enough of what I'm trying to describe below to be helpful to most willing to go this route. Here goes...

Time: 60-90 minutes
Tools required: Dremel + grinding bit, Phillips screw driver, t-15 torx, body panel removal tool
Difficulty: 4 out of 10

1) Remove the door panel.
2) Remove the strain relief mount on the door side of the factory cable run. This is the black thing through which the factory wires enter the door, the taped up thing in the center of the photo.
3) Pull back rubber cover from bulkhead connector from wire run entering the cab, push down the 4 tabs and pull the entire bulkhead connector from the cab. You should be able to pull it out far enough to unplug the gray and green plugs.
4) Push the door side plugs out of the bulkhead connector.
5) Using the dremel, grind the 2 raised areas UNDER where the gray plug fits flat.
6) Run the wires through the strain relief, through the boot, through the bulkhead connector, and into the cab.
7) Re-assemble the strain relief and reattach to the door.
8) Push the gray and green door side plugs back into the bulkhead connector.
9) Put the bulkhead connector rubber cover back on.
10) Re-attach the green and gray cab side plugs to the door side plugs. Both should fit snugly into the bulkhead connector.
11) Re-attach bulkhead connector to the cab.
12) Put door cover back on.

I was able to run 2 each of KnuKonceptz Karma SS 16 gauge speaker wires (about 1/4" around apiece).

For what it's worth, it only takes about 30 minutes to do the passenger side door, as there is no green plug, so no need to remove bulkhead connector and use dremel, there's plenty of room to run wires through. You'll still need to remove the strain relief and get the wires into the door, but MUCH less of a hassle on that side.

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jimbo1man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Lonestar