How to: V6 Efan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any issues with overheating or dash lights since the install and keeping the factory thermostat? I'd love to pick up an extra MPG with a nice plug-and-play setup. I'd be looking to keep the factory thermostat being that we don't have a tuner available.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
no issues here at all.

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah hell, something else I'll be spending $ on lol. At least it's cheap and easy! Thanks for the quick reply!

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where do you get the fan? And it will just plug and play? No wiring or changing settings or anything? It will come on like it is supposed to?

RyeRey521

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
Where do you get the fan? And it will just plug and play? No wiring or changing settings or anything? It will come on like it is supposed to?

The link is in the OP through the orange HERE...... If still having trouble, amazon search TYC 622320 Replacement Cooling Fan.....

Thanks for the write up, I will def. do this mod.

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
found the fan, but what plug does this plug into? ac fan plug? if so will it onky work if the ac is on? still unsure on how this will kick on for engine temp

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's all explained in the OP, the v6 fan plugs into the a/c fan connector and will turn on whenever you either turn max a/c on or your engine hits 225 degrees. Of course you don't want to wait for your engine to get that hot for the fan to kick on because that's pretty damn hot so it is recommended to get a 180 t-stat and a tuner. So swap out the stat then whenever you get a tuner, adjust the fan setting to come on at 195. I've been running mine since this write up like that with zero problems. I believe a couple of people have ran theirs without changing the tstat or adjusting the temp the fan turns on at but I don't remember who they were or what their thoughts were on it.

RyeRey521

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
I def. see the need for that in Las Vegas, but yea the tstat could be a delayed install, i would think, depending on where you live (i.e. potential for your truck to get that hot anyway).

Drew78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what exactly is gained by doing this conversion? I know you're supposed to lose the parasidc power loss of the clutch fan, but do you?

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Large crescent wrench in hand lol. I'll be pulling the trigger on this mod very soon.

Tfrizz80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When ubpull the fan off do u need a nut to go back to haold the pully on?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Have any of you guys that did this towed with this setup? I actually would only want to do it because I hate when that dumb clutch fan runs when it is like -30F here in the AM. Why would I want that when clearly it is cold enough.:wtf2:

cux211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
does anybody know if this is the same for the 13's

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have any of you guys that did this towed with this setup? I actually would only want to do it because I hate when that dumb clutch fan runs when it is like -30F here in the AM. Why would I want that when clearly it is cold enough.:wtf2:

Back to the top for a great question a few of us could benefit from, please!

Cactuar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Express Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7L MDS VVT
An option to removing the clutch nut yourself (low cost)

This was a great install diagram with sweet pictures to boot. Everything went flawlessly except for the removal my clutch fan. If you're having the same issues as I am, try cutting it off.
Don’t pull it off, or have someone else pull it off. For me it was too much trouble.
First the Troubles:
After I removed the shroud, condenser fan, and serpentine belt, I got ready to take it off myself. I put a strap wrench around the water pump pulley, propped the handle on the pulley above it with a zip tie, grabbed a big 36 or 37 mm wrench, slipped under the truck and preceded to bench press the suspension of the truck up and down. After about 30 seconds of that I ended up snapping my strap on my strap wrench. Resisting the urge to beat a hole in the bottom of my oil pan with a wrench for trashing a good tool, I slid out from under my truck, grabbed an ice cold beverage from the fridge, relaxed for a second and came back at it with a cool head. I opted not to take the clutch off, and said I’ll just get the dealership to do it. I proceeded to install the E-Fan with the Clutch fan still in it. It took about 8 minutes. I drove up to the dealership, double fans and all, and requested that they take off the now useless clutch fan. Of course he gave me the old “I’d better check with my manager about this one” line, but I expected this much so I waited, and waited, and waited some more. Being me, expecting the task to be done by now after 45 minutes. The shop manager then finally steps into the waiting room and say's that he can’t do it. He said that “it’s an integral part of the engine, and we don’t want to void your warranty”. So I started off hoping that I could use reason and logic to make him understand, but he had no part of it, someone must have injected him with estrogen because I couldn’t get it threw his head that the part no longer serves any purpose and needs to be removed. So I walked away time and gas wasted, and started off by calling the other dealerships to save me the disappointment, and gas money. Three responded with “we don’t feel comfortable with that” and one woman refused to let me talk to the manager, and said she doesn’t know when he’ll be back in (Probably thought I was crazy).
Now the Solution:
So I’m standing there looking at the mechanical fan, fully frustrated, when my stubborn nature decides to cut that ******* off with a saw. It’s easier and quicker than it seems. Grab a Sawzall and a long metal cutting blade easily found at Home Depot ($12 Bucks) take the plastic fan blade off and slide it up against the pulley. If you look down you will see the big clutch nut is actually a solid aluminum shaft that gets skinner towards the clutch. Use the body of the clutch as a blade guide, and count to 10. Thud the front clutch is on the ground. To make it all perty-fied, or “custom”, take a metal file to the tip of the aluminum shaft and round it off until it looks like a giant lug nut. I could have saved myself a lot of time and hassle if I knew this solution (my poor strap wrench).

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
holy hell what a hassly. glad you got it figured out

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Has anyone said anything about what they have gained?

Cactuar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Express Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7L MDS VVT
Has anyone said anything about what they have gained?

I haven't noticed a difference in mileage yet due to my heavy foot. But I immediately noticed a smoother idle at stoplights. Must be due to their being less rotational mass and drag on the crank. So I should see better mileage gains from the E-fan and the lower engine run temps with the new 180 deg setpoint.