INFO - 2013-2018 8.4A /AN FW Notes (RA3/VP3-NA & RA4/VP4-NA & UAx)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
There have been a few people with working UAQ radios previously and no map files because of a partial/ borked update that didn't include them. A later "full" update with the nav files took care of it in the past... ie v16.x and 17.x that were corrected by the 18.14 file DeereGuy found. Who knows when the next "full" update file will happen and if we can even get it.

If you can figure out a way to get the map files flashed back or added into the file and cheat the checksum validation so it will load let us know. I'm sure they are a few folks in this situation.

M² Mods.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Rudey @Jalsaeed

You can try the USA 22.6 SW but no guarantees on the outcome. Based on 00R/T 's post it may very well flash and to may be okay, but if you have a UAQ you may or may not end up with working nav?

Tough call.

M² Mods.

Rudey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
@Rudey @Jalsaeed

You can try the USA 22.6 SW but no guarantees on the outcome. Based on 00R/T 's post it may very well flash and to may be okay, but if you have a UAQ you may or may not end up with working nav?

Tough call.

M² Mods.

I tried it a bit ago, I can confirm that it will not load on the Canada model UAS at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There have been a few people with working UAQ radios previously and no map files because of a partial/ borked update that didn't include them. A later "full" update with the nav files took care of it in the past... ie v16.x and 17.x that were corrected by the 18.14 file DeereGuy found. Who knows when the next "full" update file will happen and if we can even get it.

If you can figure out a way to get the map files flashed back or added into the file and cheat the checksum validation so it will load let us know. I'm sure they are a few folks in this situation.

M² Mods.

Have you been able to decompress any of the files within the zip? I cant get into any of them, would be interested to see if the install scripts are in plain text and if it just looks for files in the archive to install, which could mean if they are placed in the correct spot of the USB key would it be possible they would be automatically picked up and installed.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Have you been able to decompress any of the files within the zip? I cant get into any of them, would be interested to see if the install scripts are in plain text and if it just looks for files in the archive to install, which could mean if they are placed in the correct spot of the USB key would it be possible they would be automatically picked up and installed.
I've looked but coding is above my pay grade unless someone gives me clear directions... But I did stay in a Holiday inn Express once.
It's definitely different from the 13-17 Harmon RAx radio files. You and 00R/T might be able to figure it out with your sw backgrounds.

M² Mods.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It looks like the radio uses an FCA public key to validate that the encrypted files are genuine FCA update files. The radio also appears to contain a private key that allows it to decrypt the encrypted update files. The only plaintext files in the update are the publickey.pem (FCA root CA public key) and the ss_pasa_usb.metadata which appears to contain the manifest for the update as well as some data like the initialization vector (IV) for the decryption process. Cracking these files would not be trivial. I suspect all the radios contain the same private key so disassembly of a radio and reading the non-volatile storage may yield the private key to decrypt the files.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Even after sleeping overnight, the radio still isn’t properly displaying the ATC. I may pop my old RA4 in to see if it’s the radio or if I still have something messed up with the HVAC. It’s definitely not an issue with the update not being compatible with my radio because in that case it wouldn’t run at all. It could be that this version isn’t compatible with single Zone ATC, but I can’t say that yet for sure.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still having issues updating from 18.4 is there a working link for - v19.9 UAQ that I could try setup upgrade.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Still having issues updating from 18.4 is there a working link for - v19.9 UAQ that I could try setup upgrade.
If you find one let me know and I will host it. 19.9 was a very good version.

M² Mods.

Rudey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
It looks like the radio uses an FCA public key to validate that the encrypted files are genuine FCA update files. The radio also appears to contain a private key that allows it to decrypt the encrypted update files. The only plaintext files in the update are the publickey.pem (FCA root CA public key) and the ss_pasa_usb.metadata which appears to contain the manifest for the update as well as some data like the initialization vector (IV) for the decryption process. Cracking these files would not be trivial. I suspect all the radios contain the same private key so disassembly of a radio and reading the non-volatile storage may yield the private key to decrypt the files.

What are the chances the non-volatile memory is not soldered on? I haven’t taken apart the deck, but if anyone knows that the memory is some form of removable device like a flash card or microsd, I’d be happy to take a look at extracting the key. The shell scripts in the update point to utilizing tools like dns, ssh, and tar to administer the upgrade, so my guess is the radio is using a flavor of Linux. Likely on a ext4 partition. If the memory can be removed and read by a pc, getting the private key wouldn’t be that hard. However if it’s soldered it would need some special equipment.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well, I’m shocked, but I drove my truck yesterday after it sitting for a week and my ATC is back. I don’t know why sleeping it overnight wasn’t enough, but I’m not going to complain. Other than the nav, I took a radio from a 17 300 running v14.9.0 and brought it up to 22.6.0 RAM firmware successfully.

Now I need to decide if I should try going to the previous version that includes map files to try to get my nav back. I’m a bit concerned about the ramifications of going backwards, though, so I may wait and hope the next update is a full one with maps.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I’m shocked, but I drove my truck yesterday after it sitting for a week and my ATC is back. I don’t know why sleeping it overnight wasn’t enough, but I’m not going to complain. Other than the nav, I took a radio from a 17 300 running v14.9.0 and brought it up to 22.6.0 RAM firmware successfully.

Now I need to decide if I should try going to the previous version that includes map files to try to get my nav back. I’m a bit concerned about the ramifications of going backwards, though, so I may wait and hope the next update is a full one with maps.

Have you figured out a way to go backwards? or does the UAx actually let you do it (unlike the RAx)?

cclark019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

So I updated my 2017 300 yesterday to 22.6 and lost NAV like you I was able to install the correct max version for the 300 22.5 and got NAV back. I was surprised it was able to downgrade a version but it worked fine took about an hour though.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I updated my 2017 300 yesterday to 22.6 and lost NAV like you I was able to install the correct max version for the 300 22.5 and got NAV back. I was surprised it was able to downgrade a version but it worked fine took about an hour though.

Where’d you find the 22.5 image? I’d be willing to give it a go and jump back to that and see if it still has RAM themes (I suspect it will). If not, I can then try to jump up to 22.6 again.

cclark019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where’d you find the 22.5 image? I’d be willing to give it a go and jump back to that and see if it still has RAM themes (I suspect it will). If not, I can then try to jump up to 22.6 again.

Let me find the link again and I’ll share it as soon as I can.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
does anyone know details about this new 2018 ram part number 68340153ab.... the dealer just told me its NOT a UAx but a UCS version. He doubts it has nave. I cant find anything with google. The vin i searched only told me a
Uconnect 4C with 8.4–inch display
Google Android Auto Apple CarPlay capable

ultimately need to know if this will be a good donor.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963