INFO - 2013-2018 8.4A /AN FW Notes (RA3/VP3-NA & RA4/VP4-NA & UAx)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The OTA update wont work unless you are running a sharfin antenna, a 911 Plug wont let it download the OTA update.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know how long this update takes to install ?

Also , can one " accept " the update then drive the vehicle while it auto updates or must you interface with it Untill installed while in park ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Also, can anyone say how it would handle the ra4 upgrade we did? With a factory ra3 and now a ra4, could it screw up the ra4 by trying to push the mandatory update for wrong (original) radio model?? Or could it only load the version based on current equipment...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Also, can anyone say how it would handle the ra4 upgrade we did? With a factory ra3 and now a ra4, could it screw up the ra4 by trying to push the mandatory update for wrong (original) radio model?? Or could it only load the version based on current equipment...

You must download the update with the SOURCE VEHICLE'S VIN. That will get you the proper firmware package for the radio you have installed.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You must download the update with the SOURCE VEHICLE'S VIN. That will get you the proper firmware package for the radio you have installed.

Thanks.. i will check the uconnect update page , but i thought this was a mandatory ota update... or am i mistaken. My better half can attest to this being a distinct possibility.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks.. i can check the uconnect update page , but i thought this was a mandatory ota update... or am i mistaken. My better half can attest to this being a distinct possibility.

Unsure as of yet. It appears it will be very annoying for those that had factory equipment 8.4s until they accept the update. User infotainment.com says that you will not receive the OTA unless you have a sharkfin antenna; if this is because of a perception that the 911 cheater plug does not get cellular coverage I can attest to that being incorrect. I had full 3G reception until last week.

I have the sneaking suspicion that they may have already pushed out a pre-update update that disabled the aircard without the presence of a sharkfin antenna though. Maybe to avoid bricking all of the 8.4 upgrades that folks have performed.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unsure as of yet. It appears it will be very annoying for those that had factory equipment 8.4s until they accept the update. User infotainment.com says that you will not receive the OTA unless you have a sharkfin antenna; if this is because of a perception that the 911 cheater plug does not get cellular coverage I can attest to that being incorrect. I had full 3G reception until last week.

I have the sneaking suspicion that they may have already pushed out a pre-update update that disabled the aircard without the presence of a sharkfin antenna though. Maybe to avoid bricking all of the 8.4 upgrades that folks have performed.

Interesting, my ra4 acted real crazy this weekend... flipping between radio stations, apps and Sirius stations all on its own. I did a soft reset and thought thats what fixed it. Not so sure now.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Interesting, my ra4 acted real crazy this weekend... flipping between radio stations, apps and Sirius stations all on its own. I did a soft reset and thought thats what fixed it. Not so sure now.

That's similar to what I observed, but mine began with voice recognition failing, then the 911 error message appearing several times. After shutting down and starting up VR worked again, no error messages showed, but the aircard has zero signal and is greyed out.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have the factory sharkfin so guess ill find out..

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Its based on the fact that the bandwidth and signal strength of the 911 assist is not as great as the factory shark fin. The 911 assist was not decided to be an antenna but just to circumvent the error code.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im gonna wait for an actual download and see what folks think before I try it.

The basic idea of the new 17.xx.xx firmware is that its a unified update, you could use it on a 2013 RA3 then use the same stick on a 2017 RA4 and it'll work with no fuss, also makes it easier so that they dont have to do 1 update per unit per year.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
The basic idea of the new 17.xx.xx firmware is that its a unified update, you could use it on a 2013 RA3 then use the same stick on a 2017 RA4 and it'll work with no fuss, also makes it easier so that they dont have to do 1 update per unit per year.

Its a good idea for them and the us the end-user.

jdomke1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is someone going to download and post here to save those of us who upgraded some time? Since what I'm reading above is that this update is universal for all RA3s and RA4s from 2013 on, in the US, then posting the file will help is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is someone going to download and post here to save those of us who upgraded some time? Since what I'm reading above is that this update is universal for all RA3s and RA4s from 2013 on, in the US, then posting the file will help is all.

I would give it time to see how "universal " it actually is. Still have questions for those of us that didn't originally have 8.4 radios.

jdomke1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My '16 300 has the ra4 with upgrade to nav. I'll check the site and see if it's available. We haven't gotten the notice on the radio yet. I've got my '14 Ram 1500 I upgraded to the RA4AN so I'll never get that one automatically. If I can download I'll try on both and report back.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I would give it time to see how "universal " it actually is. Still have questions for those of us that didn't originally have 8.4 radios.

^^^^What Skb said.

Be aware that the part numbers for the RA4 vp4-NA radios are different between various FCA brands, but we do know that Ram Cherokee and Viper use the exact same radio model/PN's. Challenger, charger, 300's don't seem to be the same.

I haven't checked yet, but it is likely not available for direct download yet for our Rams. Once it it's available and we get some feedback, I will share/host it for those that don't have their own vin to do so. I also want to download it for each model year ra4-na VIN I have to make sure they are all exactly the same using an md5 file checksum tool first.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^What Skb said.

Be aware that the part numbers for the RA4 vp4-NA radios are different between various FCA brands, but we do know that Ram Cherokee and Viper use the exact same radio model/PN's. Challenger, charger, 300's don't seem to be the same.

I haven't checked yet, but it is likely not available for direct download yet for our Rams. Once it it's available and we get some feedback, I will share/host it for those that don't have their own vin to do so. I also want to download it for each model year ra4-na VIN I have to make sure they are all exactly the same using an md5 file checksum tool first.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

All updates up to this point are universal across all radio PNs in that specific year, ie. 13-14 update works on all 13-14 radios, 15 update works on all 15 radios etc.