Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > 4th Gen DIY

4th Gen DIY

INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA)

This is a discussion on INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA) within the 4th Gen DIY forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
I will pull a reading on the battery just to make sure. Battery is fairly new. Never thought of cycling ...

Like Tree405Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 01:40 AM   #501 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
I will pull a reading on the battery just to make sure. Battery is fairly new.

Never thought of cycling the key a few times, I will give that a shot tallow. Plus going to be near 60 Thursday I can check and see if definitely temp related.

It doesn't "drop out", it is either comes on when I start the truck and stays on. Or doesn't come on at all.

Originally Posted by Mpgrimm2 View Post
Mine did this the other day at 2* outside, but came right back after a key cycle.
It seems to me that the 8.4's are just sensitive to extreme cold.

Another thing to check is your battery voltage. 00R/T and someone else? reported an issue with the radio blanking out when it dropped low. Not sure of the cutoff, maybe 11.8v. One of them replaced the battery and had no more issues. How old is your battery?

Sent from my non-flammable Galaxy S7!

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Atincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #502 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: 5.7 HEMI
Originally Posted by Atincup View Post
Did the upgrade during the summer. Upgraded to 8.4N, Harness and HVAC controls. Worked flawless all summer and fall. Then an issue arrived. First time temp was below freezing and nothing. No radio, no backup camera totally blank. The fan control speed worked fine but couldn't change anything else without the screen. I figured it was a fuse or loose connection but everything checked out. Was busy at work so waited a few days and was going to check again. In the mean time the weather improved and radio just came on. Everything worked great. Fast forward, temperatures are below freezing and again nothing.

I'm frustrated and just ready to disconnect and go back to the 5.1.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause the problem or what I should check?

This post sounds like I could have written it. I'm pretty well convinced it's temperature related at this point. I chased a red herring with the battery that ended up being nothing. I've checked the CAN bus, verified all the connections, and checked for fault codes in the radio and other system.

When this happens, I can fix it 99% of the time by pulling off the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds or so. If I don't do that, it's very unlikely it will work even after multiple key cycles. If I do it, it then goes on to work for a day, or a few days, or a week.

One of these days when I have more time I'll pull the fuse instead of the battery. This should tell me if it's the radio itself or something else in the truck that needs reset. I did this once, but it was when the temps were single digits and even a full battery disconnect didn't work. So, it wasn't conclusive.
R.L.K., Mpgrimm2 and Atincup like this.
00R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #503 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Thanks 00R/T

I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what you come up with and will be updating my progress also.

Originally Posted by 00R/T View Post
This post sounds like I could have written it. I'm pretty well convinced it's temperature related at this point. I chased a red herring with the battery that ended up being nothing. I've checked the CAN bus, verified all the connections, and checked for fault codes in the radio and other system.

When this happens, I can fix it 99% of the time by pulling off the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds or so. If I don't do that, it's very unlikely it will work even after multiple key cycles. If I do it, it then goes on to work for a day, or a few days, or a week.

One of these days when I have more time I'll pull the fuse instead of the battery. This should tell me if it's the radio itself or something else in the truck that needs reset. I did this once, but it was when the temps were single digits and even a full battery disconnect didn't work. So, it wasn't conclusive.
Mpgrimm2 likes this.
Atincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #504 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Kinda related , ( Helicopter ) a few years ago I was troubleshooting a ( Generator not comming on line )
Temps were in the teens .
To make a long story short, I ended up putting the voltage regulator in the freezer and verified internal circuit board would not ohm out correctly , then I left the VR in the heated hanger @ about 70 and it rang out correctly.

Maybe remove the radio and take it in the house for a few hours , plug it in and see if it works . If it does remove it again put it in the freezer for an hour or so quickly go plug it back in and see if it fails again ....
12sportmc likes this.
R.L.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #505 (permalink)

Originally Posted by R.L.K. View Post
Kinda related , ( Helicopter ) a few years ago I was troubleshooting a ( Generator not comming on line )
To make a long story short, I ended up putting the voltage regulator in the freezer and verified internal circuit board would not ohm out correctly , then I left the VR in the heated hanger @ about 70 and it rang out correctly.

Maybe remove the radio and take it in the house for a few hours , plug it in and see if it works . If it does remove it again put it in the freezer for an hour or so quickly go plug it back in and see if it fails again ....

I love the freezer trick. Lol. Used it many times to troubleshoot faulty APU clutch Servo's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R.L.K. likes this.

MODS: S&B CAI, Flowmaster 50, Resonators deleted with 5" MBRP Black tips, Katskins, 8.4 MOD, Bilsteins @ 2.8 with TGC 1.5" rear spacers and Zone Auto UCAs, Fuel Vapors with 35" Nitto G2s, Weathertechs, Sport Style projectors with drop in HIDs, Retro'd fogs with matchbox projectors, OEM LED tail smoked out......more to come
12sportmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #506 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: 5.7 HEMI
Originally Posted by R.L.K. View Post

I thought about that. There's two problems though. First, it seems like the radio doesn't need to warm up. Even if it's still cold, reconnecting power will wake it up. The second issue as that these radios won't power up without a CAN bus signal telling it the ignition is on, so I'd have to come up with a simulator for that.
R.L.K. and Mpgrimm2 like this.
00R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #507 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Originally Posted by 00R/T View Post
I thought about that. There's two problems though. First, it seems like the radio doesn't need to warm up. Even if it's still cold, reconnecting power will wake it up. The second issue as that these radios won't power up without a CAN bus signal telling it the ignition is on, so I'd have to come up with a simulator for that.
Hmm ?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #508 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014 Express CC
Engine: 5.7
Anybody have a copy of 15.26.1???? I think I may just try 15.17.5 and avoid 16.16.13.

Last edited by Jared4.7; 01-12-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Jared4.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #509 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Jared4.7 View Post
Anybody have a copy of 15.26.1???? I think I may just try 15.17.5 and avoid 16.16.13.
Maybe here ?

http://www.ramforum.com/f75/info_-_2013_2014_2015_8_4an_fw_notes_ra4_vp4_na-73871-post1125806/
Mpgrimm2 likes this.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #510 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014 Express CC
Engine: 5.7
Ah crap. Got my wires crossed and didnt look in the right spot. Thats listed for a 14 radio, my bad. Guess Im putting 15.17.15 on my new radio.

ETA: I think I may have meant to ask about 15.06.1 actually.
R.L.K. likes this.

Last edited by Jared4.7; 01-12-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Jared4.7 is offline   Reply With Quote