Install of oem tow hooks on a 14 Express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Front tow hooks

I just came across this thread. I'd hate to annoy the moderators by dredging up an ancient thread, so feel free to delete my post if it violates any rules, I'll not be offended.

Since I'll be tackling this mod tomorrow, I just wanted to make a couple observations.

It appears that the bottom of the bumper opening on our sport/express model trucks is wider and sits a bit higher than on other models. The hooks don't appear too be centered in the larger areas on either side of the bumper grill opening.

I intend to fabricate replacement brackets. The new brackets will rotate the hook a few degrees at the rear bolt hole, and raise it's relative position, centering it in the grill opening.

I have a small machine shop at my disposal, and a background in mechanical engineering, so hopefully I'll have little trouble fabbing up replacement brackets that are stronger than the originals.

Obviously, I'll be modifying the grill insert as well.

I think I'll blast and cerakote my hooks while I'm at it

I have h-series Cerakote in Tungsten, Flat Dark Earth, Earth Brown, Olive Green, Burnt Bronze, Cobalt and Gunmetal.

What would look best? My truck is mineral grey metallic.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just came across this thread. I'd hate to annoy the moderators by dredging up an ancient thread, so feel free to delete my post if it violates any rules, I'll not be offended.

Since I'll be tackling this mod tomorrow, I just wanted to make a couple observations.

It appears that the bottom of the bumper opening on our sport/express model trucks is wider and sits a bit higher than on other models. The hooks don't appear too be centered in the larger areas on either side of the bumper grill opening.

I intend to fabricate replacement brackets. The new brackets will rotate the hook a few degrees at the rear bolt hole, and raise it's relative position, centering it in the grill opening.

I have a small machine shop at my disposal, and a background in mechanical engineering, so hopefully I'll have little trouble fabbing up replacement brackets that are stronger than the originals.

Good luck and take lots of pictures!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have h-series Cerakote in Tungsten, Flat Dark Earth, Earth Brown, Olive Green, Burnt Bronze, Cobalt and Gunmetal.

What would look best? My truck is mineral grey metallic.
No worries on adding to an old post Sir , I'm just glad you found it LOL , I was looking for this last week ! Ha ha I'm the OP and I had trouble finding this then

Me personally I think Black would look great on your truck .

Hope this the ad helps !

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
All done!

Ok, I used a few hi-tech tools to do this, but anyone who wants to fabricate these brackets shouldn't be put-off by a lack of such tools. I could have done it with a hack saw and drill, it would have just taken longer.

I cut out the entire center section of my bumper grill insert, just keeping the perimeter, and leaving a few tabs to epoxy my mesh to. The mesh was a gutter guard from Home Depot. $2.98 ish.

IMG_20170410_131252600_zpsitisucck.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20170410_131459944_zpsm4i0erko.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next I removed the stock brackets, and layed made the measurements for my new brackets. I used 2 x 3/16 steel angle iron from Home Depot, cut to 8 inch lengths. I measured the layout of the bumper holes by overlaying the stock brackets onto the angle, but set 3/8 inch lower than stock, thus raising the hook. Then set it up in my little CNC and milled/drilled.

IMG_20170411_155137974_zps82uyyfq3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20170411_155130197_zpszrhsuet7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Photobucket is killing me with ads. They slow my PC down so much, doing anything like this is near maddening!

Next up, I assembled the brackets with the stock studs. All fit well! You can see the odd angle of the stud bracket, assembled with the hook bracket. This is to rotate the hook into the proper position relative to the bumper. I layed everything out so that the space between the outboard edge of the bumper opening and the hook, is the same as the space in the hooks actual opening. So any rope/chain/tow-strap that will fit into the hook, will also fit the space between the hook and the bumper opening.

IMG_20170411_172712619_zpsnnuxop4p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next I blasted the front half of the hooks with 120 grit alox, and coated with H-Series Gunmetal Cerakote. Here they are in the curing oven. FYI, the factory powdercoat is very durable, and took the 300F curing temp just fine.

IMG_20170411_180756895_zpsr1alpsu5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And here's the finished product:

IMG_20170411_200904817_zps4a1i62fz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20170411_201240604_zpsf9qm34ft.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20170411_201300695_zps6utdppuz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Very nice! Feel like making more and selling another set?

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Brackets for 13-16 Ram Sport Tow Hooks

Producing this type of structural part, a part that would likely result in injury or damage should it fail, for my own personal use has little personal liability. Producing it for resale, is a whole different animal.

As a business owner, before I'd incur the risk/liability of reselling these, i'd have to actually create a design on paper and do the stress analysis, FEA, etc.

I'd be willing to pull my hooks back off, draw up a print, do the stress analysis, make the necessary design adjustments, and solid model the part in CAD/CAM, then do a limited production run.

To do all this, the design aspect would take about 8ish hrs, production about 1-1.5 hrs per set.

For a limited run of about 10 sets, I'd need to price them in the neighborhood of about 30.00 per set.

I'm not sure there's be sufficient interest at that price point to be worthwhile.

It wasnt very hard though. You'd have little trouble fabbing up a set of your own.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Producing this type of structural part, a part that would likely result in injury or damage should it fail, for my own personal use has little personal liability. Producing it for resale, is a whole different animal.

As a business owner, before I'd incur the risk/liability of reselling these, i'd have to actually create a design on paper and do the stress analysis, FEA, etc.

I'd be willing to pull my hooks back off, draw up a print, do the stress analysis, make the necessary design adjustments, and solid model the part in CAD/CAM, then do a limited production run.

To do all this, the design aspect would take about 8ish hrs, production about 1-1.5 hrs per set.

For a limited run of about 10 sets, I'd need to price them in the neighborhood of about 30.00 per set.

I'm not sure there's be sufficient interest at that price point to be worthwhile.

It wasnt very hard though. You'd have little trouble fabbing up a set of your own.

I can't get the photos to load, but I think I have an idea of what you did. I've been avoiding taking the time to do it myself, so I would happily pay you if you wanted to make more. Hell, I'll buy more than one set if that's what it takes to make it worthwhile for you. I have no doubt people will want them in the future.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

At $30 dollars a set, you could sell A LOT of them! I'm in...

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've got a slow day coming up next week. I'll pull my hooks back off, draw up a print, solid model them in CAD and post up some rendered images prolly mon or tue.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At $30 dollars a set, you could sell A LOT of them! I'm in...

Me too. I've been putting off tow hooks because of how they sit in the sport bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Would you not want the ends facing inward?
Not according to the directions. Some with the sport bumper do so for a little more clearance. There's nothing stopping someone from installing either way.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would you not want the ends facing inward?
The factory puts them outward ; however, they are functional either way .

I put mine inward because the fitment on my front bumper was better and not contacting the bumper .88996ae80505d2a90d6cf13bf2049931.jpg7949468767a0fd9d494519f8bf4a083b.jpg99203f3688afd5765848f0f062ac1cbc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had a few hours to spare and did the CAD work today. These dimensions are based on my own trucks measurements, so as long as yours are all the same within .01" or better, all should go well. Feel free to point out any errors I've made.

I'll start the CAM work and generate some g-code in the next couple days.

bracket2_zpsvi66weac.jpg

bracket1_zpsmymh3mlg.jpg

bracket4_zpscjiwtvrk.jpg

BracketDrawing_zpsa64ubvef.jpg

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice! I have them installed with the hooks facing in for clearance like RLK. This might make me want to pull them off and switch them over. I would be in for a set as well if you decide to sell a few. At 30.00 it's a great deal.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm going to start on 10 sets Monday. As of now, I've had perhaps 5-6 ish requests. If all goes well, and the parts fit/function correctly, i'll keep the CAD/CAM data on file for future requests.

So far, there will be enough for everyone who wants a set.

Those who want a set, send me a pm with your name and email address. I'll send each an email when the brackets are finished and ready to ship.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm going to start on 10 sets Monday. As of now, I've had perhaps 5-6 ish requests. If all goes well, and the parts fit/function correctly, i'll keep the CAD/CAM data on file for future requests.

So far, there will be enough for everyone who wants a set.

Those who want a set, send me a pm with your name and email address. I'll send each an email when the brackets are finished and ready to ship.

PM sent!