Install of oem tow hooks on a 14 Express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m new here but had my express for a bit now. I just bought a brand new set of oem tow hooks thinking it’s plug and play. From reading this thread, I won’t be able to mount correctly without a custom bracket?

You can mount them, they just won’t be centered in the opening. The custom brackets just center the tow hook in the larger opening of the black trim piece.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’m new here but had my express for a bit now. I just bought a brand new set of oem tow hooks thinking it’s plug and play. From reading this thread, I won’t be able to mount correctly without a custom bracket?

You can mount them, they just won’t be centered in the opening. The custom brackets just center the tow hook in the larger opening of the black trim piece.

Also, there is no pre-cut trim piece for the Express style bumper. Regardless of whether you use custom brackets or not, you will have to cut openings in the trim piece.

-K

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I might be interested in trading and or selling you my modified cut out for yours that hasn't been cut yet. You won't need the custom brackets with my cut out.

I can post pictures if you are interested?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might be interested in trading and or selling you my modified cut out for yours that hasn't been cut yet. You won't need the custom brackets with my cut out.

I can post pictures if you are interested?

Are you referring to the black plastic trim piece ?

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct me if I’m wrong, but to have the hooks outward pointing towards fog lights is the right way? So without any custom brackets, the tow hooks are touching the bumper ? Sorry if I sound dumb, just trying to get it right.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Correct me if I’m wrong, but to have the hooks outward pointing towards fog lights is the right way? So without any custom brackets, the tow hooks are touching the bumper ? Sorry if I sound dumb, just trying to get it right.

I think if you want the hooks to look OE, they need to face out. And they would touch or almost touch the bumper. I think if you point the hook in, you get more room between bumper and hooks, but is not OE look and you would not be able to tie between them.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You can point them any way you want but opening outboard is the "correct" way.

I am speaking of the black plastic trim piece. Here is mine, the bottom of the hook doesn't touch the painted portion but rather rests on the plastic of the cutout.

27e1f724d578a1a5c0f8b7910e6d9830.jpg69738539e6643512b7968bd00dbcf382.jpg

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think if you want the hooks to look OE, they need to face out. And they would touch or almost touch the bumper. I think if you point the hook in, you get more room between bumper and hooks, but is not OE look and you would not be able to tie between them.
Excuse my stupidity.. but if I installed it inwards I wouldn’t need the custom brackets at all? Also, If I chose that route, I wouldn’t jeopardize anything if I were to use the hooks for any reasons?

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can point them any way you want but opening outboard is the "correct" way.

I am speaking of the black plastic trim piece. Here is mine, the bottom of the hook doesn't touch the painted portion but rather rests on the plastic of the cutout.

27e1f724d578a1a5c0f8b7910e6d9830.jpg69738539e6643512b7968bd00dbcf382.jpg

Gotcha. How much if you were to sell?

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Excuse my stupidity.. but if I installed it inwards I wouldn’t need the custom brackets at all? Also, If I chose that route, I wouldn’t jeopardize anything if I were to use the hooks for any reasons?

You can install them either way and not jeopardize anything. It is just where they will be centered in the opening.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I just drilled new 1/2" holes below the OEM holes in the bracket. This tilted the front up and centered it int he opening from top to bottom. Also removed the lower air dam so I could cut out smaller holes in the plastic. for the hooks to pass through. The hooks and the plastic trim piece have to be put in place as one piece this way, but really keeps everything clean.
IMG_2231.jpg
IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just drilled new 1/2" holes below the OEM holes in the bracket. This tilted the front up and centered it int he opening from top to bottom. Also removed the lower air dam so I could cut out smaller holes in the plastic. for the hooks to pass through. The hooks and the plastic trim piece have to be put in place as one piece this way, but really keeps everything clean.
View attachment 165671
View attachment 165672
View attachment 165673
Looks good.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
All depends where you’re located. I’m in NorCal. Just rather not deal with shipping, let alone such a fragile item.
Yeah, just looked up the part number for the insert. It's pretty cheap. I thought it would cost more. It's probably cheaper for me to buy one new and you to cut your own.

thade

Reaction score
For contrast, here is how they look with the custom brackets.

20180922-134717.jpg

-K

This is exactly what I've been wanting to do, color and all. Would love to get my mitts on a set of those brackets. :(

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, just looked up the part number for the insert. It's pretty cheap. I thought it would cost more. It's probably cheaper for me to buy one new and you to cut your own.

Cool. Do you just pull it out or are they screwed in somewhere?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Cool. Do you just pull it out or are they screwed in somewhere?
It's been awhile but I believe it's all clips and not fun. Here's a video...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf