Installing 180 stat. Stat is in. Now I'm going to add coolant. Which tank do I feel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed the silver cap says pressurized. I spoke with Moe's earlier and he said to leave a cap off and fill as the truck heats up. I hate to fill the wrong part! Which one is the fill tank and which one is the overflow

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 103

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Silver cap is radiator, yellow one is overflow tank.
Fill radiator first, squeeze the air out as good as you can on the top rubber hose, keep on filling, close cap (silver) as soon as you got all the air out, run engine (don't forget to turn on the heater on full), let cool down, repeat procedure until radiator is full. Always keep overflow tank filled to max during this procedure.
NEVER open silver cap when engine / coolant is hot.

Last edited:

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It helps to park the truck somewhere nose high with the passenger side higher than driver's side.

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Silver cap is radiator, yellow one is overflow tank.
Fill radiator first, squeeze the air out as good as you can on the top rubber hose, keep on filling, close cap (silver) as soon as you got all the air out, run engine (don't forget to turn on the heater on full), let cool down, repeat procedure until radiator is full. Always keep overflow tank filled to max during this procedure.
NEVER open silver cap when engine / coolant is hot.

I've always left the cap off and let the engine run and get hot. As long as the cap isnt on when the engine gets hot, pressure wont build up in the radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nufan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why put a 180 degree thermostat on? What advantage is there?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam