Installing a DRL module for amber LEDs at full power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI when you have LM5 added the DRL's are still on when your fogs are just on. it does not dim the DRLs until you put your headlights on or put it in park or use the ebrake.

I find it hard to believe people cannot get this added by the dealer there is written instructions from FCA on how to do this for the techs..

It's because in later 2016 models, the code was removed from the computer base. My techs were able to add the code fine to my 2015 Laramie, but my new 2016 truck no longer had the code to allow them to activate it.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the dealership turn on my DLR, but they were the low beam headlights and not the LEDs sadly enough, I have a 2016 1500 sport

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya, my dealer could turn on my low beams but I didn't want that. The LEDs are way better IMO

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey the fuse tap is just a tap that plugs into the fuse block allowing you to add another fuse to that spot right?

2015 ram sport 4x4

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey the fuse tap is just a tap that plugs into the fuse block allowing you to add another fuse to that spot right?

2015 ram sport 4x4

Correct. You should have two fuses now in that one spot once you add the fuse tap.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's because in later 2016 models, the code was removed from the computer base. My techs were able to add the code fine to my 2015 Laramie, but my new 2016 truck no longer had the code to allow them to activate it.

wow... wtf why? why would they remove it. it makes the truck look amazing, I think it should be a factory feature. Literaly every car in FCA's line up has some kind of DRL except the RAMs

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow... wtf why? why would they remove it. it makes the truck look amazing, I think it should be a factory feature. Literaly every car in FCA's line up has some kind of DRL except the RAMs

What gets me is the charger and other dodge / fiat vehicles can turn theirs off and on through their radio screen. But yet the Ram can not...

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well I was talking to the Daniel Stern guy and he don't want any part of my "toy" "illegal" "hype" switchbacks. So I either use a different email to order the module or go with something else.

2015 ram sport 4x4

Netmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Myself and a couple other members from the Z forum figured out how to make the DRL-1 module work on the new model trucks. This is for those of us (most) who have been unsuccessful at having the dealer activate their amber LEDs at full power whenever the vehicle is in gear.

I don't have any pictures as I didn't think to take any when I was reinstalling my module. Anyhow - here is the procedure.

- You'll need the following -
DRL-1 Module which can be bought here -

DRL-1 Daytime Running Lamp Module Installation

5 wire taps
One zip tie

Now this is for trucks that have the stock OEM projectors.

Once you have the above equipment in hand - lets get to work.

1. Start by removing the grille and headlight assemblies off the truck completely. The grille isn't necessary to remove, but just makes it easier.

2. Find a secure spot to secure the DRL module. I just zip-tied mine to a factory wire harness near the driver side headlight.

3. The yellow wire is your power wire. This needs to be tapped into an ignition powered source. I used a fuse tap and used one of the fuse locations, thus my DRLs are on at full power whenever the truck is on (unless my headlights are on which is explained further).

4. Your green wire is ground. I just made a hole in the frame behind the headlight with a self tapping screw and secured it there.

THERE IS NO CUTTING OF FACTORY WIRES NECESSARY!! The online instructions state to do that, but it is not required any longer.

5. The blue wire you want to use a wire tap and tap into Pin # 2 which is your parking light wire. This will cause the DRLs to dim to half power (like normal) when you flip your parking/fog lights on.

6. The Violet wire taps into your OEM DRL wire which is Pin # 4.

7. The Pink wire taps into your turn signal wire which is Pin # 12.

8. Extend the Red and Brown wires to your passenger side harness.

9. Wire tap the RED wire into the turn signal wire Pin # 12 on passenger side

10. Wire tap the brown wire into the DRL wire Pin # 4 on passenger side

The white wire coming off the DRL module can or can not be used. If used, it just makes it so when you turn your blinker on, it'll turn the other side DRL off until you turn your blinker back off.

I hope this helps someone who's been wanting DRLs.

When I followed the instructions that were given with the module, it caused my truck to give me bulb out errors and hyperflash the mirror blinkers. But once the other member on the Z forum was able to figure this out- I installed mine the same way and now have no errors and have my DRLs back and love it!

PM me if you have any questions. :word:

Thank you! I followed the directions and got the DRL's working in my 2017 Sport! I seriously wonder why this is not a standard feature on these Rams?

I was able to find the DRL module here: Turn Signal Daytime Running Lights Module | GoWesty

It says it's for a VW bus, but just use the above directions and it works fine. I tested turn signal synchronization, dimming and turning on when it should, etc and it all works great.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 111

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you! I followed the directions and got the DRL's working in my 2017 Sport! I seriously wonder why this is not a standard feature on these Rams?

I was able to find the DRL module here: Turn Signal Daytime Running Lights Module | GoWesty

It says it's for a VW bus, but just use the above directions and it works fine. I tested turn signal synchronization, dimming and turning on when it should, etc and it all works great.
So with the module are the running lights brighter

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a way to use that module with the quad headlight setup?
Seems the quads have no drl option from factory.

Cutting the turn signal wires (as per DRL-1 installation instruction) would cause a bulb out error message I assume?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a way to use that module with the quad headlight setup?
Seems the quads have no drl option from factory.

Cutting the turn signal wires (as per DRL-1 installation instruction) would cause a bulb out error message I assume?

The quads up here use the high beam bulb at half power as the drl. I would imagine the module would work, not sure though as I switched to projectors.

I followed the original instructions of cutting (didn't bother me as it was not a factory harness) and did not get any errors or messages. It may be different for your 13 though, they seem to be much more finicky.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The quads up here use the high beam bulb at half power as the drl. I would imagine the module would work, not sure though as I switched to projectors.

I followed the original instructions of cutting (didn't bother me as it was not a factory harness) and did not get any errors or messages. It may be different for your 13 though, they seem to be much more finicky.

Think there's only one way to find out.
I already ordered the DRL-1 module so I will give it a try and cut the turn signal wires and see if I get a bulb out message or the hyperflash.
I really don't want to use the low beams as DRL and I think the module won't handle 2x65 Watt bulbs either. (I upgraded to H9.)

Last edited:

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

How did you figure out the vw bus would work for the rams?

Netmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you figure out the vw bus would work for the rams?

I started googling DRL modules and compared wire colors, instructions and physical look and took a chance.

Sowardcustoms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Huh I added the code to my 2016 sport and it lights the lower yellow leds up no problem.

Sowardcustoms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
What's the sales code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it's LM5 I'm not at work or I would pull up my vin there's different codes for the projector and regular style headlights that may be some of the problem maybe they are adding the wrong code for the different headlights.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk