Makeshift Crew cab fold flat floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not exactly sure if this is the right section since I haven't made it yet. But thinking about making a fold flat floor for my truck from wood that would sit on top of the underseat storage bin lids and would go from the back of the underseat storage bins to the back of the front seat(about 28") and the width of the storage bins(about 58") and would have legs of some sort under it where it meets the front seat for stability(about 7" tall). Would cover it in carpet like for sub boxes or this contact paper stuff in a roll that I have on wood already for another use(I'll post a pic of it in a little). This would be for occasional use like carrying boxes and other stuff that requires a flat floor.

My question is what would be the best wood to use? I'm guessing plywood?
Which covering would you use to cover it? One of my 2 or something else?
Would you make it fold or make it one solid piece? If folding, what kind of hinges?
And how should I properly transport a big sheet of plywood from like home depot to my house(about 8 miles) since I have a 5'7 bed? Bring one of my saws and cut it in half at the store?

This is my first time building something like this so that's why I have so many questions

Contact paper stuff
IMAG0387.jpg
IMAG0388.jpg
IMAG0389.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome. Thanks guys. Any suggestions on what to cover it with and whether or not to make it folding?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Maybe in a sort of carpet material like sub boxes are usually wrapped in. And I'd make it folding. Still want use of your back seat dontcha?

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe in a sort of carpet material like sub boxes are usually wrapped in. And I'd make it folding. Still want use of your back seat dontcha?

So not that contact paper stuff? And even unfolding it would just slide right in and out of the truck with the size I have listed. It's just for when I need a flat floor

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked up some foam board to show my design. It's 30" deep and 60" wide. To get it out you just tilt it and pull it out which would be the same for the non folding plywood. Except it would be one big sheet of plywood and not 3 pieces lol

IMAG0390.jpg

2ramsinaweek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMAG0230.jpg
IMAG0229.jpg
IMAG0231.jpg

This is one that a buddy of mine and I made recently. Looking to have a way to haul my Lab around. We designed it to be lightweight and easily removable. The supports are PVC and the platform is plywood. I wanted to have the option of using the smaller rear seat for someone sitting in the back seat. Covered it with grey carpet from Home Depot.

The Lab checks in at around 90 pounds and the platform kit is solid.

Last edited:

2ramsinaweek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To answer your other question, I just put the tailgate down to haul the sheet of plywood. You could easily get another section of the platform from the excess left over.

jacsyl94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes I agree with a folding option to be able to keep it in the truck and hidden under the seat..

2ramsinaweek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I just have to put this kit in the bed when I need both of the rear seats. But it is pretty lightweight and compact.

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMAG0230.jpg
IMAG0229.jpg
IMAG0231.jpg

This is one that a buddy of mine and I made recently. Looking to have a way to haul my Lab around. We designed it to be lightweight and easily removable. The supports are PVC and the platform is plywood. I wanted to have the option of using the smaller rear seat for someone sitting in the back seat. Covered it with grey carpet from Home Depot.

The Lab checks in at around 90 pounds and the platform kit is solid.

Looks really good! I wasn't gonna cut around the hinges and all that but now I think I will. What did you use to make those cuts? And did you make a cover for the hinges? Pics without the dog have the hinges showing but the pic with your dog has them covered(between the closest panel and the middle panel)

To answer your other question, I just put the tailgate down to haul the sheet of plywood. You could easily get another section of the platform from the excess left over.

Good to know. Thanks! Probably gonna be building one for my buddy too since he has a qc express and didn't come with the factory fold flat floor

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
What do you need the fold flat floor for
Just curious since I can't think of anything I would need it for
The dog makes since

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you need the fold flat floor for
Just curious since I can't think of anything I would need it for
The dog makes since

Well I gotta bring a bunch of boxes to my aunt who lives like 6 hours away and some are fragile so they can't be sliding around the bed and I don't want them on my seats so that's the main reason right now. But I'll probably use it for similar reasons when I move to a university. Pretty much just for anything I don't want on my seats or my floor

2ramsinaweek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A skill saw was used to make the cuts. Nothing fancy...

The piece over the hinges is left over carpet. Figured I would have it there to keep his paw from coming into contact with the hinge.

If you don't cut around the hinges, the material that you use probably won't sit totally flat.

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A skill saw was used to make the cuts. Nothing fancy...

The piece over the hinges is left over carpet. Figured I would have it there to keep his paw from coming into contact with the hinge.

If you don't cut around the hinges, the material that you use probably won't sit totally flat.

Thanks. Good thing I bought one during christmas lol. And oh ok that makes sense, save the dog some pain. Yeah I hadn't thought about it not fitting right with the hinges

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally made more progress. Time to tape it together and make sure the fit is correct as a one piece unit and then get some plywood and transfer the design. Then make some legs to support the front and get something to cover it
IMAG0427.jpg
IMAG0426.jpg
IMAG0425.jpg
IMAG0424.jpg

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be picking up a jigsaw soon to do the cuts for the hinges and should be ordering some sub box carpeting too. Hopefully I can find some people that want these so I can cover the costs. Still trying to figure out what to do for legs, anybody have any ideas?

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still waiting on getting the stuff. Gonna try to get all the stuff except for the carpet(I'll get that later) when I get the stuff for the offroad lights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45