My HID Install for Under $100 (with Pics!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Summary:
I read all about the 2 kits available now and all the issues that the trucks were having with the HIS systems and I just couldn't bring myself to spending $200 for an HID kit. So I spent $90 on Amazon and got everything working... here's what I used and how I used it:
***Note, this was done on a 2015 Ram 1500 Lonestar edition with quad headlights***

What I Used:
(If I can't put external links on here, then please remove them)
Kensun HID Kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF4NAY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OPT7 Relay Harness - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7TZEGA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OPT7 Inline Capacitors - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8QNNWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Headlight Removal:
I used this video from about 1:16 to 5:16 to get the headlights out and ready for the installation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptcqtJg189s

How I Wired Mine:
I'm not sure that pictures are necessary, but better too much than not enough. I'm going on the assumption that if you're reading this, then you know how to install the HID system and wire it to the relay. If you don't, then there should be instructions in the box :)

The headlights ready for work
Gsadcfz.jpg

The capacitors connected inline between the relay harness and the ballast
hwYKlRg.jpg

How I wired the relay - Power to the battery, ground to a screw in the engine compartment and I unclipped the fuse box and laid the relay in there and clipped it back in place so I could get to the relay if need be. Once the fuse box is back in place, it holds the relay in place perfectly
zvRjmM9.jpg

WHERE I placed the driver side ballast, bottom of the fuse box compartment it fits perfectly but I used double sided tape anyway:
VVgSdkf.jpg

You can barely see it, but the wire tucked behind the existing wire looming across the front of the compartment. Probably a good idea to use zipties to attach them together
psNLZoV.jpg

Where I have the other ballast attached, with a self tapping screw into the frame behind the headlight
JGk2g1E.jpg

The headlight itself with a 1" hole drilled into the bulb housing cover to use the built in grommet
tKjJ9aj.jpg

Again, in line capacitor between the relay and the ballast with a ziptie on the other side
1PPzEgo.jpg

Put it all back together and turn it on!
KavWytV.jpg

Different angle of the lights... They're not nearly as blue as the above pic makes them look:
ervReMe.jpg

I drove it around and no issues... will continue to keep an eye on it over the next few days and weeks to make sure it keeps working - so far so good! If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and help :)

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
What's the build date of your truck?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
What bulbs did you get? 6K?

8k bulbs. They aren't as blue as the pic makes them out to be. To my eye, they are white with a hint of blue.

ufokillerz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so no resistors needed anywhere? I'm running one of the 2 kits that are supposed to work, maybe i have something loose somewhere, i have a passenger side bulb light out in evic. luckily the whole system is triggered by the drivers side hah.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
so no resistors needed anywhere? I'm running one of the 2 kits that are supposed to work, maybe i have something loose somewhere, i have a passenger side bulb light out in evic. luckily the whole system is triggered by the drivers side hah.

I only needed those in-line anti-flicker units as outlined in my first post. It doesn't mean that I will have issues over time, I just don't have any issues right now and it seems to be working flawlessly.

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nicely done man! Keep us updated. Love the pictures by the way, they really are worth 1000 words!

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Oh glare, dang.

BUT, great work on the wiring. Interesting that you're not having bulb out warnings. These things seem to be super super sensitive to stuff.

Here's a different pic of the lights... Shows that it isn't nearly as blue as the first pic makes them look:
ervReMe.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a different pic of the lights... Shows that it isn't nearly as blue as the first pic makes them look:

I wasn't referring to the color being blue by glare. But 8k, is really blue. White is like 5500-5600.

You are going to have a lot of unhappy oncoming motorists pretty soon.

This. :yucky:

ufokillerz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the way you have it wired. looks like the one of the connectors for lowbeam is not connected to anything?

low beam looks like highbeam in your pictures. Hopefully the drivers around don't mind the feeling of being highbeamed.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
the way you have it wired. looks like the one of the connectors for lowbeam is not connected to anything?

Not sure which you're referring to but the grommets have multiple plugs to allow pass through. You only need one of those (I used the side not pictured) to wire the stock signal to the relay

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Just noticed this in the Message Center. Is thus what everyone is talking about? Does it mean the passenger side is "out" or is it highlighting the driver side as being "out"?

If THIS is the issue people are having... I don't see it being too terrible... If the light is out, I figure I'll know when it doesn't come on?
MnJVTbN.jpg

ufokillerz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just noticed this in the Message Center. Is thus what everyone is talking about? Does it mean the passenger side is "out" or is it highlighting the driver side as being "out"?

If THIS is the issue people are having... I don't see it being too terrible... If the light is out, I figure I'll know when it doesn't come on?
MnJVTbN.jpg

hah i have the exact same one. I do believe it means passenger side. I think one of my connectors for my resistor pack is loose.

I think the issue people are having with 2015 is that the computer senses something wrong and shuts down the lights after 20 minutes.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
hah i have the exact same one. I do believe it means passenger side. I think one of my connectors for my resistor pack is loose.

I think the issue people are having with 2015 is that the computer senses something wrong and shuts down the lights after 20 minutes.

Since you seem to be having the issue also, does it shut down for you? I know none of my connectors are loose, but I wouldn't mind doing some testing if I knew the right stuff to check.

I wonder.... I used the driver side factory headlight clip for the "signal" to the relay and the passenger side is unused, sitting there unplugged. I wonder if this is the problem... The factory harness isn't plugged into anything therefore the truck thinks it isn't working? I could technically just run a lead wire between the two factory harnesses and wire them together so the same electrical current was detected through both of them... Thoughts?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Does anyone have any experience with relays to know if this would work? I am thinking of wiring BOTH stock harnesses to the black wire from the relay in the below photo. I think that might "trick" the system into not thinking a bulb is out. Any thoughts? Electricians needed!
HID-relay-02.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Do you have a resistor/anti flicker on the passenger side light? Try removing just that one. I have read on another forum that a few have had luck only installing it on the drivers side

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Do you have a resistor/anti flicker on the passenger side light? Try removing just that one. I have read on another forum that a few have had luck only installing it on the drivers side

Possibly because the stock harness is only connected on that side. I'll remove the resistor on that side and post back. Would the "light bulb out" error resolve itself or would I have to do something to get it to turn off?(when fixed)