No Active Guideline setup menu after flash XAC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C6Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the OEM backup camera kit Part # 82214240 in my 2013 1500 Sport w/8.4AN. I had the dealer flash the XAC code before I did the install. I completed everything EXCEPT I could not figure out how to gain access to the BCM C5 connector to attach the last purple wire to pin 45.

Since it was getting late I buttoned everything up and started the truck. The camera functions perfectly but there are no Active Guidance lines overlayed on the video and there is no option in the setup menu either. The only option listed is "Parkview backup camera delay". There is no "Parkview backup camera Active Guidelines" listed as an option.

Does pin 45/purple wire control the guidelines? Will the guideline option in the setup menu show up once I connect the purple wire?

Any advice or pictures for dealing with the C5 connector on the BCM would be greatly appreciated.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
It is the purple wire. I recommend using like one of the snap splices so you're not soldering upsides down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C6Pilot

C6Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is the purple wire. I recommend using like one of the snap splices so you're not soldering upsides down.

Thanks. I removed the knee panel but still can't get my hand in there to remove the harness. Is it feasible to start removing the harness wrapping until I find the correct colored wire and tap it? My other option is to ask the dealer to make the connection when I bring it in for some warranty issues. The good news is they only charged me $60 for the XAC flash which sounds like the low end compared to what other were charged. That puts this mod at $300 plus about 5 hours of time for a buddy and me.

For others thinking of doing this mod, this purple wire issue is the toughest part. 2nd to that was pulling the new harness through the firewall. 3rd was the time it took to carefully examine, ponder, research the included instructions. The OEM kit is absolutely complete right down to an abundance of wire ties and heat shrink tape and splices (if you decide to go that route). But the instructions, while being technically complete are obviously written for a Mopar mechanic who has prior knowledge of locations, procedures and tools required to make the install go quickly. We spent a lot of extra time "measuring twice and cutting once".

I'd say if I had to do the install again, I could probably cut the time in half as long as I have the extra set of hands to pull the harness through the firewall. Everything else can be done solo but it's certainly more fun with help.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Best way is to open the driver door, lay on your back and use 1 arm. All you have to do is there is a lever around the correct plug, just pull it down so it pops out the just find and tap it. I soldered it and took probably a hour or so to do.

OP
OP
C6Pilot

C6Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best way is to open the driver door, lay on your back and use 1 arm. All you have to do is there is a lever around the correct plug, just pull it down so it pops out the just find and tap it. I soldered it and took probably a hour or so to do.

I can't get my hand past a black & silver metal box with heat sinks on it. I can see 2 mounting screws but don't know if there are more I can't see. I haven't a clue what it is. If I have time after work I'll try moving it out of the way. I'm attaching a pic.

Attachments

• Photo0245.jpg
    Photo0245.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 140

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
That's your amp. Follow the install to remove it.

OP
OP
C6Pilot

C6Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's your amp. Follow the install to remove it.

There's no mention of the amp in the included instructions I received. It's a PITA to remove without the proper tool to reach the middle screw. Can't get a screw driver up there and not enough room for a nut driver socket. The upper and lower screws are easy. Luckily it only needs to be loosened. Once I got the amp out the BCM harness could be reached. Not the easiest wire to tap because the harness doesn't move far. It basically only has enough play to flip over to SEE the wires. But I got it tapped and the Active Guidelines are working!

Thanks for your assistance. :favorites13:

Canadian Ram owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I installed the same oem backup camera kit ( 82214240 )last fall. The majority of the install was a breeze but I also found it very difficult to tap the purple wire into the wire coming out of pin # 45 on the BCM. So with that being said I ended up extending the purple wire and tapped into it at a much more convient location. It may sound a little wierd but I was able to access the wire in the left rear cab corner where the harness travels up the rear corner of the cab. I just ran my " extension " wire under the door sil plates with the main harness.

OP
OP
C6Pilot

C6Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the same oem backup camera kit ( 82214240 )last fall. The majority of the install was a breeze but I also found it very difficult to tap the purple wire into the wire coming out of pin # 45 on the BCM. So with that being said I ended up extending the purple wire and tapped into it at a much more convient location. It may sound a little wierd but I was able to access the wire in the left rear cab corner where the harness travels up the rear corner of the cab. I just ran my " extension " wire under the door sil plates with the main harness.

What/why does it lead to in the rear of the cab??? And where did you find a schematic that showed where it went? I think I may have preferred to disassemble the entire cab instead of working in the back breaking position to reach the BCM. :suicide:

Canadian Ram owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What/why does it lead to in the rear of the cab??? And where did you find a schematic that showed where it went? I think I may have preferred to disassemble the entire cab instead of working in the back breaking position to reach the BCM. :suicide:

I used this website, https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/classic.htm#

If you look up the LIN BUS Systems, and follow the diagram for the LIN BUS CBC 3 wire (OR/DB) that leaves from pin #45 in plug C5 on the BCM it shows it going to the rear of the cab to the CHMSL ( Center High Mounted Stop Light ).

I am not too sure why it goes there, mabey they had plans to place a camera up by the cargo light ???

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Not had plans there is one that does go there. Its called the CHMSL cargo cam. The wire you are referring to carries the signal to the cargo cam which turns on the black arrow used in alignment when backing into a fifth wheel.

I installed it and have the tailgate cam as well, I also have the front cam and plans to add the blind spot side view mirror cams.
Here is the CHMSL cam I did not bother tapping the subject wire not really a big deal I think but I do have the other lines in the tailgate.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/third_brake_light_failed_--_dealer_only_work-65960/index2.html

http://www.ramforum.com/f75/turn_signal_camera_install-64870/

Last edited:
OP
OP
C6Pilot

C6Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used this website, https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/classic.htm#

If you look up the LIN BUS Systems, and follow the diagram for the LIN BUS CBC 3 wire (OR/DB) that leaves from pin #45 in plug C5 on the BCM it shows it going to the rear of the cab to the CHMSL ( Center High Mounted Stop Light ).

I am not too sure why it goes there, mabey they had plans to place a camera up by the cargo light ???

Couldn't load that page. In any event, I'm sure others will appreciate knowing there's another option.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed the same OEM backup cam kit on my 2014 1500 QC , I was lucky , I didn't have the above mentioned Amp installed . The BCM C-5 Connector ( clearly labeled with an -E- ??) was easy to get to so I soldered & heat shrunk the purple wire in no problem .
If you do not have the Active Gridlines at that point ( like me ) update the software in your radio , this was my issue with the RA2 5.0 Radio .

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just installed the OEM backup camera kit Part # 82214240 in my 2013 1500 Sport w/8.4AN. I had the dealer flash the XAC code before I did the install. I completed everything EXCEPT I could not figure out how to gain access to the BCM C5 connector to attach the last purple wire to pin 45.

Since it was getting late I buttoned everything up and started the truck. The camera functions perfectly but there are no Active Guidance lines overlayed on the video and there is no option in the setup menu either. The only option listed is "Parkview backup camera delay". There is no "Parkview backup camera Active Guidelines" listed as an option.

Does pin 45/purple wire control the guidelines? Will the guideline option in the setup menu show up once I connect the purple wire?

Did your active guideline OPTION ever show up? I have my lines and they work, just no option to turn them on and off

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I installed the same OEM backup cam kit on my 2014 1500 QC , I was lucky , I didn't have the above mentioned Amp installed . The BCM C-5 Connector ( clearly labeled with an -E- ??) was easy to get to so I soldered & heat shrunk the purple wire in no problem .
If you do not have the Active Gridlines at that point ( like me ) update the software in your radio , this was my issue with the RA2 5.0 Radio .

What version is you Radio updated to?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I installed my back up cam I had the 2013 RA25.0" Radio with a 2.__.__ software version which did not have the option in Parkview settings to turn on/off Active gridlines , I had the purple wire soldered to the OR/DB wire @ BCM C -5 socket 45 , I then updated my RA2 to the latest SW version at the time and I gained several options within the radio to include Active Gridlines ON / OFF .
I've since upgraded my radio to the RA4 8.4NA and it has the option already and displays the grid lines .
Maybe 2013 RA4A Radios just do not have the option to turn them ON/OFF but will display the gridlines as yours does ?

I have heard of some not having the options to turn them on or off and having them displayed before , I believe this info was in the Radio upgrade thread a while back , not certin of what radio they had though .
Honestly I would never turn them off , especially since I've gotten so use to using them to back into my garage and parking spaces .

Last edited:
OP
OP
C6Pilot

C6Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did your active guideline OPTION ever show up? I have my lines and they work, just no option to turn them on and off

Yes. After I connected the purple wire the option was listed on the menu.

Unfortunately, my guidelines just started to become intermittent. That's what I get for using a quick splice. I'm going to wait for cooler weather to play with it.

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yes. After I connected the purple wire the option was listed on the menu.

Unfortunately, my guidelines just started to become intermittent. That's what I get for using a quick splice. I'm going to wait for cooler weather to play with it.

What version software is your radio running?