OEM 4 Button AUX Switch Panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Aux panel is great. I finally put mine in. Found out that it outputs ground. So you have to use relays.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The panel can't handle much current so relays should be used no matter what you're doing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Bdroddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I finally got it to work but it blew a couple truck fuses. One for the interior light and one for the panel switches above the ac controls, the other goes to my volume up/down button, and the channel up down and lastley the buttons for the up down back and reset on left fromt of steering wheel. I havemt fpund that fuse. Found the other, just ready to finish my day and call dodge tomorrow to tell me where the fuse is.

Divi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude, do you actually know how a relay works?

Pins 85 and 86 are either side of a coil. It makes absolutely no difference which side gets 12v and which side gets grounded. Once those conditions are met, the coil magnetically pulls the contact from pin 87a (Normally Closed) to 87 (Normally Open).

So to reiterate, connect 12V to either pin 85 or 86, doesn't matter which. Then connect one of the AUX output wires to the other pin (85 or 86). That takes care of the coil side of the relay. Now to get power to your lights (or any other 12V load), connect 12V to either pin 87 or 30 (again, it doesn't matter), then connect the 12V side of your lights to the other pin (87 or 30). Both 12V wires need to be fused. I normally run a wire of sufficient gauge to support the load (with fuse inline) to pin 87, then jumper that to pin 85 or 86. Then run that same gauge wire to the lights or other load from pin 30.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. I've been doing this for a long time and I even went to school for Electrical Engineering, so I think I know a thing or two about electronics. ;)

I do not know exactly how they work, was going on past knowledge of electricution and blown fuses and fires i have started. Also on information ive gathered from others doing this.

Did not know what you posted, Sorry if it came of prickish.

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well, I finally got it to work but it blew a couple truck fuses. One for the interior light and one for the panel switches above the ac controls, the other goes to my volume up/down button, and the channel up down and lastley the buttons for the up down back and reset on left fromt of steering wheel. I havemt fpund that fuse. Found the other, just ready to finish my day and call dodge tomorrow to tell me where the fuse is.

How did you manage to blow fuses? That's not normal.

I do not know exactly how they work, was going on past knowledge of electricution and blown fuses and fires i have started. Also on information ive gathered from others doing this.

Did not know what you posted, Sorry if it came of prickish.

No worries. Just want to make sure we're on the same page and there's not a bunch of inaccurate info out there. Because everything in the internet must be true! LOL

Blowing fuses, making sparks, letting the smoke out, and starting fires is certainly not normal. You have to be careful and know what's hot and what's not. 12V DC certainly isn't as dangerous as 120V+ AC power, but you can still screw some stuff up if you don't know what you're doing. I tend to forget that most people don't know electronics nearly as well as I do and I might instill too much confidence in other people's capabilities...

Divi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
got me a perma Mohawk from 120...

I do the same thing when it comes to computers.

Ruiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm still working on building my brackets for the Light, but I wanted to clarify something.
I have read what you said above, but I want to crystallize the comments rather than look through muddy water.

Relay1.jpg

Going via the image above:
the AUX switch is on pin 86 and 85 is ground, but you're saying 85 is the AUX and I should put 86 jumped to straight power (30)

picture.php

I tried.

Please edit if I made any mistakes.

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That second pic is mostly correct, but don't hook up the AUX Pin 1 and 2 as you have shown. You have four wires for four buttons coming off the AUX panel, pins 3, 4, 5, & 6. Pick one of those to feed pin 85. If you want these particular lights to be on AUX one, then connect the wire coming off pin 3 of the aux panel to pin 85 of the relay.

I think one thing that has been confusing people lately is the fact that I'm not consistent when discussing the coil wiring. Pins 85 and 86 are not polarity sensitive and it makes no difference which side gets 12V and which side gets ground. Once you apply a ground and 12V signal to either side of the coil it then becomes an electromagnet and magnetically pulls the contact inside to connect pins 87 and 30 together.

That brings up another point. Pins 87 and 30 are also interchangeable. It's like a simple light switch and doesn't matter which way current flows through it. There are some situations where you need normally open and normally closed contacts to be used together and then it does matter, but for this type of installation, it makes no difference.

I'll work on a revised wiring diagram today that might help everyone a little more.

Divi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heres a diagram that works, it pretty much shows what myoung stated but in diagram form.

396_720845827440_1612702770_n.jpg

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here's the diagram I created. Keep in mind that the relays can be installed anywhere. Rather than run large gauge wiring into the cab for the relays, you can run a smaller gauge wire from the switch panel to under the hood (or where ever your lights or loads are installed). These are the blue, green, yellow, and purple wires on the diagram.

SwitchPackWiring_zpsbd752d0e.jpg

Last edited:

Ruiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
That's perfect.

Thanks. But you said above that Aux 1 goes to pin 3 yet on your diagram Load 1 is to pin 4. So load 2 is Aux 1?

I'll be using your diagram as reference and I hope that it can be useful to everyone else. Maybe put it as an OEM relay sticky.

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry, I forgot that pins 3-6 aren't in order for Aux 1-4. The diagram is correct.

Jking2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does anybody have a photo of this switch panel installed?? I've never heard of this before.

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No problem! I like the panel better than having aftermarket switches scattered around the cab.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No problem! I like the panel better than having aftermarket switches scattered around the cab.

much cleaner install, where would one find this panel cheap?

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Links are in the first post.