OEM CHMSL / Install 2016 ram w/ 8.4 nav

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MACOTAC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMMINS
I have looked searched and googled around with no direct answer. I have a 2016 3500 Laramie with 8.4 nav radio.

I see in other posts the CHMSL (cargo camera) has been install on 2012-2014 models using some sort of jail break system, due to the issues with the electronics for those years and no wire harnesses from the factory.

I would like to know if it has been attempted on a 2016 model due to the fact the radio system can add apps easier via dealership. Also, has anyone checked to see if the wiring in a 2016 for the CHMSL could possibly already be there from factory?

I was able to add the OEM LED cargo lights to my truck due to the fact the OEM wiring was already in place. Just needed the dealer to flash the computer to recognize them.

So does the 2016's have the wires already there to install a CHMSL?

Will the dealership just be able to flash the radio system to recognize the camera without aftermarket software?

THANKS

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have looked searched and googled around with no direct answer. I have a 2016 3500 Laramie with 8.4 nav radio.

I see in other posts the CHMSL (cargo camera) has been install on 2012-2014 models using some sort of jail break system, due to the issues with the electronics for those years and no wire harnesses from the factory.

I would like to know if it has been attempted on a 2016 model due to the fact the radio system can add apps easier via dealership. Also, has anyone checked to see if the wiring in a 2016 for the CHMSL could possibly already be there from factory?

I was able to add the OEM LED cargo lights to my truck due to the fact the OEM wiring was already in place. Just needed the dealer to flash the computer to recognize them.

So does the 2016's have the wires already there to install a CHMSL?

Will the dealership just be able to flash the radio system to recognize the camera without aftermarket software?

THANKS

Most likely No, did you see them when you installed the CHMSL? There is a separate harness for the camera with either a white or gray twist lock connector, which plugs into the camera, the only way to know for sure is to remove the CHMSL the first place to look. Do you have the OEM CHMSL and did you install it or did the dealer?

OP
OP
MACOTAC

MACOTAC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMMINS
I DO NOT have the CHMSL light installed on my truck. I have the stock center brake light.

I was wondering if anyone with a 2016 or new truck has installed the CHMSL on their truck and did it successfully with out having to run the cable and use a jail break software?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You might want to refer to what you're looking to install as a "cargo cam". CHMSL (center high mounted stop lamp) is just the name for the third brake light. So, what you have stock is a CHMSL and the part with the camera is also a CHMSL. The dealer will probably get confused if you just refer to the cargo camera as a CHMSL.

That said, it's very unlikely you have the wiring for the camera already. Chrysler generally doesn't like running wiring for options that aren't installed unless it's part of a harness that's already there. As cptwing says, your best bet is to just pull the CHMSL out and look for a round 6 pin connector that's not connected to anything.

Whether or not the dealer can enable it or depends on whether FCA exposes the option to them in the DealerCONNECT system. There is nothing unique to the 16 radio when it comes to allowing the dealer to add anything. The dealer can't add apps to it just like they can't on the earlier ones. The only difference as it relates to the cargo cam is that the 16 radio supports both a cargo cam and backup cam on the radio screen. That means that if the dealer is able to add the option code to your BCM, the radio will provide the ability to show both cameras. Earlier radios only allowed one camera, so even if the truck came with the cargo cam from the factory you could only see it on the radio and the backup cam was shown on the mirror.

I'd call your dealer and ask if the cargo cam is available as a dealer installed option on DealerCONNECT for your VIN and then you can figure out where to go from there.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Currently unless they changed things, the CHMSL camera harness is part of the headliner and the only way as stupid as it sounds to get a factory CHMSL harness is to replace or buy a new headliner for north of $700.00.
As OOR/T stated it would have to have been an available option code on your truck through Dealerconnect.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I added the cargo cam to my 2016 2500 Tradesman. The wiring was not present for it. Since you have a 3500 Laramie, it may be there, you will have to check for sure. The code was not available on my truck, but it is a tradesman. Since you have a Laramie, I bet the code will be available. Your best bet would to go to the service department at your dealer, with your VIN and ask if the "LPD" Cargo Cam sales code is listed as an option to be added to your VIN. If the dealer half knows what they are doing, they will be able to tell you if its available.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the factory back-up cam in the tailgate handle you can not have both cams on the 8.4 (unless something has changed). This is why trucks with both the back-up cam is usually viewed in the mirror.

DocHoliday

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the nav has 4 inputs for 4 cameras. it should not matter what camera you have. The ODB genie specially activates the cargo camera on the specified pins for the cargo camera.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45