How To Install OEM footwell lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Ouch. Really like this simple OEM mod but over $20 to ship a $41 kit is not on my list of things to do.

KoryJJohnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Engine
6.4L
Someone mentioned that there is also a spot to add them for the backseat? If so where?

Thanks

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Someone mentioned that there is also a spot to add them for the backseat? If so where?

Thanks

From what I've been able to tell most trucks aren't wired for the backseat. Plus installing the actual light is a little more involved as they go underneath the bottom cushion, towards the front.

dmullen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Couple of quick questions...I just got my kit (thanks TwistedJake)...driver's side was a breeze.

I need to remove the passenger side kickpanel to find the harness for that side?

What's the best way to remove the plastic Christmas tree clips without tearing them up?

Last edited:

dmullen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Found the plug on the passenger side... It was tucked away to the side...

Which side? Towards the center or towards the passenger door? I still haven't found the passenger side one yet (2014 Express). I removed the glove box and it looks like I can just cut the small hole for the LED from above without removing the carpet panel. I just have to find the wire harness!:banghead:

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Which side? Towards the center or towards the passenger door? I still haven't found the passenger side one yet (2014 Express). I removed the glove box and it looks like I can just cut the small hole for the LED from above without removing the carpet panel. I just have to find the wire harness!:banghead:

Mine was right next to the heater/air box closer to the right side of the truck. It was taped to another wire.

dmullen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Mine was right next to the heater/air box closer to the right side of the truck. It was taped to another wire.

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about down low near the kick panel or looking thru the glove box which I have removed? This is frustrating, can't find a stupid harness.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about down low near the kick panel or looking thru the glove box which I have removed? This is frustrating, can't find a stupid harness.

Mine was behind the lower glove box just behind the upper glove box towards the right side.

motley1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for write up and the idea! I just put mine in today and it couldn't have been easier. It's ridiculous that the harnesses are just dangling there useless when I'm sure they could have put the lights in standard for almost no money.

motley1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I would try removing the carpeted piece underneath the lower glove box. The 3 plastic screw things were brutal to get out. I bought a trim tool that the guy on Wheeler Dealers uses. It looks like a pair of scissors and when you squeeze the handle, it pops those clips or trim out easily. Once I got those clips off the carpet piece came out and the harness dropped down right in front of me. I didn't have to look for it at all.

dmullen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I would try removing the carpeted piece underneath the lower glove box. The 3 plastic screw things were brutal to get out. I bought a trim tool that the guy on Wheeler Dealers uses. It looks like a pair of scissors and when you squeeze the handle, it pops those clips or trim out easily. Once I got those clips off the carpet piece came out and the harness dropped down right in front of me. I didn't have to look for it at all.

That did it, thanks a bunch man.

Last edited:

motley1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem, it's amazing Dodge didn't make that standard since the harnesses are just hanging there and the light set up couldn't have cost them more than a few bucks to make.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No problem, it's amazing Dodge didn't make that standard since the harnesses are just hanging there and the light set up couldn't have cost them more than a few bucks to make.
Everything can't be standard, we'd all have the same truck if there were no optional packages. And it wouldn't make sense to manufacture 6 different wiring harnesses for little things like lights and switches.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's marketing. If all the little goodies were standard on all trims they couldn't up sell customers on the higher trims. They include the plugs/wiring to save themselves manufacturing money and not having to keep track of many different harness part numbers.

rthorsten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I finally got the fix for all of your 09-12 guys who want the oem look. I am just waiting for the parts to come in. I have one question can someone look at there harness and tell me if with the tab facing up which wire is the yellow/white. The left of the right. Or does it matter which wire is positive or negative?

Crank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you order the I/Panel-Instrument Panel Closeout (Part #68165861AD) it comes with clips and a footwell light already installed with a tiny bezel holding the light on to the panel. This is if your under dash did not originally come with this finishing piece as was the case with my 2012.

Does anyone know if all 2013's had this part? I don't have my truck here to see whether it has the closeout installed or not, but I have a 2013 2500 tradesman.