OEM tailgate camera quick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bootlegfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I read through a lot of the DIY thread but my 16 Tradesman has a locking tailgate just no camera. I bought the OEM camera setup and so far from the tailgate up to the engine bay (I didn't look any further) it APPEARS to have the wiring already there...so I installed the tailgate latch and have an appointment on Friday to have the sales code added. I didn't see a reason to tear my dash apart if it seems the wiring is already there. I sounded like a few people experienced this am I correct? I figure if it doesn't work after Friday, I'll revisit installing the harness that came with the kit.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Mine 14 3500 tradesman was prewired, I installed the handle, camera, small camera jumper. I had the flash done and all worked as it should.

OP
OP
B

bootlegfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Great, thank you. I'm crossing my fingers.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 14 1500 Tradesman was not prewired. I did the install with jeepguys harness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yanclanman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would make sense that it is pre-wired. From a manufacturing standpoint, they would just have to put in 1 wiring harness

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It would make sense that it is pre-wired. From a manufacturing standpoint, they would just have to put in 1 wiring harness
You would think so but there have been several of us who were missing the chassis wiring between the tailgate and the cab, and then the inner cab to the back of the radio. It's actually more common than having it pre-wired.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
In my case it's even weirder not only was it prewired but it was prewired right into the headunit. This is especially odd since my truck came with an RA1 radio and the RA1 radios do not have the ability to display the backup cam, normally an RA1 equipped truck would display the backup cam in the rear view mirror.