oil filter change hint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After making a complete mess the first time changing the oil filter in my truck, I looked around to see what I might have to avoid the mess.
What I found works perfect is an old 6" dia 3" deep saucepan with handle.

First loosen the filter to hand tight, but not so loose it leaks, then slide the pan in below it with the handle towards the front and it will nearly align itself, by laying on the hydraulic lines ( steering I think, cant remember at the moment) and leaves enough room to get your hand in there to loosen the filter till it drops into the pan. Let is sit till it stops dripping, then just slide it out.

I have a lift, which makes it even easier but I think It would work fine laying on the ground.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
or put a plastic grocery or ziploc bag around the filter and just spin it off. Some of us have installed remote oil filters to get away from dealing with the filter on the block, mine's super convenient and is right on the frame rail.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always just drilled or punched a hole in the bottom to drain it before removing it. Small funnel to the drain pan. Worked every time:)

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Rupert , you have electronic sterring .

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I do. if that's a question.
I know I do, if that's a hint.
My comment was written as I wasn't 100% sure the pan was laying on the steering hoses at the time I wrote the post.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just changed my oil for the first time since owning my truck. It's super easy but man was it a mess changing the oil filter. Oil went everywhere!

vwboomer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just changed my oil for the first time since owning my truck. It's super easy but man was it a mess changing the oil filter. Oil went everywhere!

Did my first oil change Friday night. Most of the oil went down my arm :naughty:

I had the benefit of a friend with a lift, so it wasn't too bad to get at and clean up. With where it's located, I can see how laying on the ground it would be tough to get at and get the leverage to break it loose.

Juanpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a mess the first time, but the second time I put a shop towel on the steering wrap it around and the oil just slide on to the oil pan on the floor, worked pretty good, those blue shop towels are pretty good absorbing oil, I’m gonna try the ziplock bag next time and see how that works for me,

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took an old redline bottle and cut it diagonally from top to bottom. Slip it under filter, unscrew filter and drop into the trough that's created, oil drains out if top of bottle into drain pan. Don't spill a drop.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Biggest problem with some of these methods is that the oil filter gets extremely difficult to turn once the oil leaks
on it.....

Hexxus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your truck not have the small black "funnel" device that is under the filter? When I perform a filter swap, I crack the filter and the oil falls down onto a ramp and that runs down further in front of the truck where you can actually put a catch pan. I tried to google for images but no luck.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Must be a big difference from the gen3 to the gen4 trucks because I definately don't have anything like that
on my 2016 lol!

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a PIG Form-a-Funnel, draped over the steering rack, and a Walmart bag around the filter. There's not much room though. The Form-a-Funnel is very handy. I've had one for years. They aren't that cheap.

https://formafunnel.com/

ChargerX3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea it suck on a 17 4x4 truck. Might have to get a bag.

Hexxus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Must be a big difference from the gen3 to the gen4 trucks because I definately don't have anything like that
on my 2016 lol!

hqdefault.jpg

You can see the thing I was talking about in this image here.

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did mine for the first time and aside from getting the filter loose I didn't have much of a mess. I used a strap wrench to loosen the filter with very little room to move. My older truck with the smaller V8 was much more convenient, it had a drip stray that let the oil run away to a convenient location to run into a drain pan.