Opinions on Backup Camera Harness In the Works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
CuylerTech,

Any plans to come up with a harness to add factory fogs to a truck without them (provided one buys the lights, switch, and replacement bumper)?
My SLT didn't come with fogs. I recall you over in this thread once...

Adding foglights to 2013+ tradesman/slt http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=72043

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Mike do you have the fog light plug on your truck now? its a grey square connector under the driver headlight, if you do then it wouldnt be hard, if you dont then I could build a harness that would go to the PDM and be activated by the sales code..

Non fog light trucks don't have any wiring provisions for fogs. Unlike the 09-12 trucks there is no kit and no complete jumper harness to add factory fogs. So having a 2nd "jumper" would make for a more factory install. All that is needed is the 2 female pins to go into the pdc connection, 3 lengths 16 or 18" of wire (L/R fog a short section to tie the 2 grounds into 1, and 1 ground wire) and the male end (if I remember right) to connect into the available factory fog light jumper

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Mike do you have the fog light plug on your truck now? its a grey square connector under the driver headlight, if you do then it wouldnt be hard, if you dont then I could build a harness that would go to the PDM and be activated by the sales code..
I will have to check and get back to you. Hopefully this week.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your luck like I was you may win a gift certificate!

3692b4afd9ccfe7a588603ba65c9d4ea.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed the OEM Backup Camera kit , that kit requires 2ea cut and solder spliced wires and the rest is plug n play.
I'm not sure what the harness connections kit requires ....
Maybe CuylerTech with the Harness connection will chime in on this if he's still subscribed to this thread .

Brodys2015Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok...because I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with the backup camera in the rearview mirror...ra1 radio currently...but looking to upgrade to ra2....or better..or aftermarket..and would love to have the image from the OEM rearview camera projected on the rearview mirror and the radio I decide to upgrade to..simultaneously. Thanks.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh , well if you go to the RA2 , 3 , 4 THEN simply go to www.harness-connection.us. and get the harness for 2013+ mirror to radio harness that's simple !

I'd say go straight to the RA4 8.4 AN the harness connection also sells the conversion harness for that upgrade RA1 TO RA4 .
If you go aftermarket, I'm not sure how you get the factory back up cam to display in the radio , I've only delta with OEM radios and back up cams .

I'd stay OEM ...JMO...

Hope this helps.and good luck to you Sir and have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year !

Last edited:

Brodys2015Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OEM backup camera

Thanks. I'm leaning towards upgraded OEM radio...with the addition of the EVIC/VR buttons on steering wheel...I found a stand alone Mic on Amazon...I'm just looking for plug and play and no trips to the dealership...because they say it's impossible to change OEM radios in the 2015 Ram. THANKS and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks. I'm leaning towards upgraded OEM radio...with the addition of the EVIC/VR buttons on steering wheel...I found a stand alone Mic on Amazon...I'm just looking for plug and play and no trips to the dealership...because they say it's impossible to change OEM radios in the 2015 Ram. THANKS and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Here's what most will agree that you should consider ...

- find a used steering wheel with all the needed buttons already in it to swap out vs buying the parts piece by piece.
- find an upgraded mirror with the microphones in it (oem function and all that without splicing) May need an additional harness for $50 or less.
- You can upgrade as is from the RA1 to the RA2 (plug n play & working Bluetooth) but the mirror w/mics and steering wheel audio/phone buttons will make it complete.
- You will want the upgraded wheel & microphone if you decide to go straight to an RA4/8.4AN/VP4-NA Nav Radio.

You can get the parts from a salvage yard ie Schram or similar, eBay, harness-connection.us, or a RAM oem parts house like AllMoparParts.com

Other useful 8.4 AN/VP4 NA/RA4 related thread links from my FW thread:
- Cgeorgemo's: DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install
Easy mod to add steering wheel controls to 2013+ steering wheels.

- Cptwing's: Installing OEM backup cam
Useful thread for installing the official RAM backup camera kits.

- Getupkid's: DIY 5.0 to 8.4 Navigation upgrade
This is where the mod originally began on this forum (vs Z). Hundreds of pages.

- Indaram's: DIY - OEM 5.0 Radio to 8.4 Radio Upgrade
This thread summarizes the useful links, schematics, and parts needed for conversion of trucks with either the 7 speed fan or 4 speed fan (vs. digging through the original thread for the details).

- Uconnect Software update site (if you have a valid model year VIN that matches the model year of your radio).
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLASH THE WRONG YEAR FIRMWARE TO INCORRECT YEAR RADIOS!

- Frobozz's: Hacking Uconnect 8.4A and 8.4AN
Useful reference from the Dodge Cummins Diesel forum about getting into various modes, i.e.

Edit:
- How To: 13-14 premium cluster upgrade

You can add the factory mirror and harness. It's all plug and play. The manual dimming rearview mirror with mic is part# 6810284AA you can find them for around 50.00 at a wrecking yard. I recommend car-part.com. the harness is part # 6817293AE. This is around 25.00 from a dealer. The harness runs to the right and then to a plug behind your passenger side A pillar. This is a simple install. You can also add the phone switch to you steering wheel foe hands free calling but I am not sure what the part number us for that. There is no dealer code needed just plug it in and you are done. I think there is a,write up in the 4th gen D.I.Y

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol most dealerships techs don't deal with upgrades to orignal OEM equipt. They say a lot of things are impossible LOL they just don't know any better. The factory schools they send their Star techs to only cover troubleshooting and repair of Original equipment based on the vehicles Vin #. Not OEM upgrades and aftermarket add ons.

With that said the Radios in the 2013+ Ram's are certinly upgradable many here and abroad have done this and many From the RA1 3.0 to the RA4 8.4 AN.

REFERENCE MPGRIMM2's post above with all those great links he has consolidated for you in one post , that is a wealth of info , and all you will need to confidently complete the upgrade .

You mentioned above that you want to install an aftermarket microphone in lui of the OEM mirror with microphones so you could keep your back up camera on the mirror and also install the www.harness-connection.us harness kit to the radio So you ultimately would have the BU Cam displayed in both the radio and mirror simultaneously. ...That sounds really cool ! I would say it would work so long as the video signal is strong enough to feed two separate devices ?? I have not seen that done . If you do this PLEASE POST your results !

Also the aftermarket microphone kits have been poor quality for most , do good reserch befor pulling the trigger on a mic . Make sure of good reviews from Ram owners with the same mic setup . I read one guy was happy with a brandmotion mic ...

OP
OP
C

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Lol most dealerships techs don't deal with upgrades to orignal OEM equipt. They say a lot of things are impossible LOL they just don't know any better. The factory schools they send their Star techs to only cover troubleshooting and repair of Original equipment based on the vehicles Vin #. Not OEM upgrades and aftermarket add ons.

With that said the Radios in the 2013+ Ram's are certinly upgradable many here and abroad have done this and many From the RA1 3.0 to the RA4 8.4 AN.

REFERENCE MPGRIMM2's post above with all those great links he has consolidated for you in one post , that is a wealth of info , and all you will need to confidently complete the upgrade .

You mentioned above that you want to install an aftermarket microphone in lui of the OEM mirror with microphones so you could keep your back up camera on the mirror and also install the www.harness-connection.us harness kit to the radio So you ultimately would have the BU Cam displayed in both the radio and mirror simultaneously. ...That sounds really cool ! I would say it would work so long as the video signal is strong enough to feed two separate devices ?? I have not seen that done . If you do this PLEASE POST your results !

Also the aftermarket microphone kits have been poor quality for most , do good reserch befor pulling the trigger on a mic . Make sure of good reviews from Ram owners with the same mic setup . I read one guy was happy with a brandmotion mic ...

Rlk your high beam harnesses are in the mail. I'll pm over tracking once I'm back at the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you sir ! I can't wait to install !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It was hard to judge how long they need to be since I don't have a OEM bumper so I just make them longer then I think they need to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem, I'll trim to suit the install on my OEM bumper or just keep.a service loop. Either way I'll let you know what the finished product length should be for manufacturing purposes.
I plan to do a write up with photos in the 4th Gen audio and electronics section here . Keep your eyes open for it !

And thanks again sir !

On another note I'll also be installing my O/H console with compass/ Homelink soon and I'll let you know via P.M. what I'll need harness wise .

www.harness-connection.us ROCKS !