Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 15 2500 diesel should I put factory remote start in or aftermarket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
After market would be cheaper and you would gain some extra features depending on model, factory would look cleaner though.

OP
OP
C

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can do the install easy but time consuming just have wonder how reliable the one from eBay is I think guy is Doug selling it

OP
OP
C

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The deal is sold on eBay lots people here are using them just not sure about diesels

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would only go oem to make sure it works as it should. wont have issues with wait to start or high idle or anything. Gas engines can turn and burn.

christophepalmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aftermarket, better range, price and operation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

christophepalmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to mention run times up to 60 minutes

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
theres a lot of bad information being thrown around in here.....

After market would be cheaper and you would gain some extra features depending on model, factory would look cleaner though.

yes to the the first part. dont see how having an aftermarket remote start is going to look any different though.

I can do the install easy but time consuming just have wonder how reliable the one from eBay is I think guy is Doug selling it

the most time consuming part of the install is the programming. you should be able to have everything installed and functional within a half hour though. Doug is a good guy. ive purchased 3 units from him over the years. no complaints.

I would be careful with ebay electronics.

its not knock off crap. its made by DEI, just sold by a guy on ebay. no worries there.

I would only go oem to make sure it works as it should. wont have issues with wait to start or high idle or anything. Gas engines can turn and burn.

the aftermarket perfected diesel remote starts long before it was ever a factory option. again, not a concern.

Aftermarket, better range, price and operation.

range is the same if using your factory remote. if you install an RF kit or smart start, then yes, you can get extended range.

only gripe about aftermarket is no dedicated remote start button on the key fob. you hit the lock button 3x. it annoyed me a bit at first, but now i dont even think about it. aftermarket is much cheaper and is expandable. i have no regrets with going aftermarket.

OP
OP
C

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok anyone have a link to diesel remote start by dei and doug

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It should be the same thing gas or diesel. Only difference is in the programming. Just send doug a message with your truck info and he'll set you up with what you need.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok will do I like read from people like you that actually have the thing

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not to mention run times up to 60 minutes

I don't see this as a positive feature. Idling shouldn't be used to warm a motor. It should be used as little as possible actually. If you're in warm climates then it'll low idle and would be ready to go once the oil is up to pressure anyway. I wouldn't want to high idle my truck for longer than the OEM 15 minute shutoff. If it isn't being driven before that then why is it even running?

theres a lot of bad information being thrown around in here.....

the aftermarket perfected diesel remote starts long before it was ever a factory option. again, not a concern.

only gripe about aftermarket is no dedicated remote start button on the key fob. you hit the lock button 3x. it annoyed me a bit at first, but now i dont even think about it. aftermarket is much cheaper and is expandable. i have no regrets with going aftermarket.

Spoken like a true salesman.

The "perfected" aftermarket has a programmable timer of up to 90 seconds for diesels. That timer is set for every time the truck starts regardless of ambient temp. Above 60 my truck starts right away as it should and lately it has been waiting to start. It has different countdowns for the outside temp and it starts when it should. If you guess and set the wait time on aftermarket for 30 seconds but it only needs 15 seconds there is time there when the heater grid is off and the intake horn could cool off again causing a cold start.

I read the whole description on eBay and there was no mention of the remote start being disabled if the hood is unlatched. Hopefully it's that smart but would be the deal breaker alone for me.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Spoken like a true salesman.

The "perfected" aftermarket has a programmable timer of up to 90 seconds for diesels. That timer is set for every time the truck starts regardless of ambient temp. Above 60 my truck starts right away as it should and lately it has been waiting to start. It has different countdowns for the outside temp and it starts when it should. If you guess and set the wait time on aftermarket for 30 seconds but it only needs 15 seconds there is time there when the heater grid is off and the intake horn could cool off again causing a cold start.

I read the whole description on eBay and there was no mention of the remote start being disabled if the hood is unlatched. Hopefully it's that smart but would be the deal breaker alone for me.

not a salesman at all, just would rather not see false information being thrown around by people with no actual experience of the product.

its been a while since i programmed mine but im pretty sure you can set the diesel delay to either be a preset time or triggered by the wait to start light.

you have the option of wiring it to the stock hood latch, using the supplied hood pin switch, or not at all. same goes for the parking lights, wire that in if you choose. these are not plug and play, but the wiring diagrams and pin locations are given to you should you choose.

tons of other settings you can program as well like heated seats turn on below certain temps, turbo cool down timer, etc.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
While more expensive, going the OEM route is the path of least resistance if you should ever have a problem with a starting issue of any kind.

90% of the problems with aftermarket is the installation and how much attention to detail the installer took to properly installing it.

Lastly, if you ever take it in to any dealership during warranty or any place after warranty for a start issue, they are either gonna charge you a premium for the aftermarket start system being installed or not touch it at all. With an OEM system, they can troubleshoot it properly rather than try and decipher how an aftermarket setup was installed.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
While more expensive, going the OEM route is the path of least resistance if you should ever have a problem with a starting issue of any kind.

90% of the problems with aftermarket is the installation and how much attention to detail the installer took to properly installing it.

Lastly, if you ever take it in to any dealership during warranty or any place after warranty for a start issue, they are either gonna charge you a premium for the aftermarket start system being installed or not touch it at all. With an OEM system, they can troubleshoot it properly rather than try and decipher how an aftermarket setup was installed.
The systems are almost entirely plug and play and fool proof. you actually dont have to splice or tap into any wires for the remote start to fuction in itself with the use of t-harnesses. if your truck was to ever have a no start condition, its takes about 10 mins to remove the aftermarket unit to 'rule' that out as the cause. if the issue is in fact the aftermarket unit, the dealer is unlikely to be able to toubleshoot or fix it. you would have to reach out to the retailer or a DEI installer for help with that.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Juanpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The reason I don’t have after market is because I don’t want to have to many bulky fobs , my truck is a 2011 and the key fob is already to big, and having a after market will be more key fobs to have

atc250r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The most common aftermarket ones use the stock remote. Press lock button 3 times rapidly for remote start to activate. No extra fobs.

Mrmagoolin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The most common aftermarket ones use the stock remote. Press lock button 3 times rapidly for remote start to activate. No extra fobs.
This is true, but the range on the stock remotes leaves a lot to be desired. Plus you can do other things with the aftermarket one. I do hate having to have two remotes but not enough to give up the aftermarket.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

atc250r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Understood but I was just informing Juanpa that an aftermarket remote start doesn't mean you must have an additional remote. ;)