Remote start install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey everyone.
I've been looking around on the Internet and have seen a lot of people already have the wiring for the factory remote start. So basically it's plug and play. Has anyone had any experience with this? Just wondering what models and trim levels have all the wiring already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atincup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Also interested in this. And is a new key fob or programming necessary?

OP
OP
Ktstull

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Also interested in this. And is a new key fob or programming necessary?

For the Mopar one it is. I know that for a fact. It should come with two fobs

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need more info on this, I talked to the dealer about this and cant remember if he said it was possible on the later years 14/15 that maybe could but the 09-12's couldn't cause the modules needed are not installed in a non remote start vehicle... Still trying to find an answer if it is possible on the 09-12, and whats different on the 13'- up

OP
OP
Ktstull

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I need more info on this, I talked to the dealer about this and cant remember if he said it was possible on the later years 14/15 that maybe could but the 09-12's couldn't cause the modules needed are not installed in a non remote start vehicle... Still trying to find an answer if it is possible on the 09-12, and whats different on the 13'- up

What info do you need, I'll see what I can find!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to see if it can just be flashed and what keyfob to order

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ktstull

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Looking to see if it can just be flashed and what keyfob to order

I know you have to install the modules, but I'm not sure if you have to install the wiring, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Also the package comes with two of the correct fobs.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you have to install the modules, but I'm not sure if you have to install the wiring, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Also the package comes with two of the correct fobs.

Let me know if you find anything out and what modules are needed also, its the one thing I really wish I had on my truck and would rather keep that stuff OEM parts than aftermarket remote start

OP
OP
Ktstull

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Let me know if you find anything out and what modules are needed also, its the one thing I really wish I had on my truck and would rather keep that stuff OEM parts than aftermarket remote start

Same here, and if all the wires are already ran so I don't have to pull my headliner, I'd like to do it myself

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The oem remote start on 2013+ is not exactly plug and play.
You have to pull apart the back seat area (on a crew) to remove and replace the RF module with one compatible with remote start for one and have the new fobs programmed to the new rf module

I was planning on doing it myself but with the dealer flash and time to schedule it I ended up working out a deal via the parts clerk to package it with my rear hitch install (free) and let them do both.

I will post the directions link for the kit shortly...

---------------------------------------

Here's my file link for the 2013 Kit (not sure if its the same for 2013-2016)...

K6861642 2013 Ram 1500 Remote Start Install.pdf

Additional Details: Complete Kit, same as production. Must have Keyless (GXM) and Immobilizer (GXX). Must not have Keyless Go (GX4), Proximity Keyless (GXD) or Air Suspension (SER)
Disclosure(s): Dealer Scan Tool required for activation.
Remote Start (XBM) can ONLY be installed on vehicles that have the following factory options: -- Automatic Transmission -- Remote Keyless Entry

EDIT:
There are 3 or 4 different remote start options for 2016 trucks. Go to this dealer parts and accessories link, select year and go to "Audio/Video and Electronics", scroll to remote start options and click details for each. You can find a link to download the directions for each kit. (I'm not sure they have the available kit options correct for the 2016 trucks (vs 2019-2012).

Edit 2:
Looking at the compatibility list of the 2015 Trucks, the 2 available kits show: 2011 - 2016 Ram 1500 & 2011 - 2017 Ram 2500.
- Both kits (82214054 and 82214424) have the exact same directions dated 7/28/15 (K6861642) ... a newer version of my directions linked at the top. Not sure what the difference is between the two.

EDIT 3:
Here's what was installed in my 2013 Truck per the work order:
- OEM Remote Start, P/N: 82213587 (appears to be only 2013 compatible??)

Remote Start PN's Per the AllMoparParts site (Preferred Vendor - PM Benny on RamForum)

Attachments

• 2013-2016 Ram Remote Start PNs.jpg
    2013-2016 Ram Remote Start PNs.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ktstull

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The oem remote start on 2013+ is not exactly plug and play.
You have to pull apart the back seat area (on a crew) to remove and replace the RF module with one compatible with remote start for one.

I was planning on doing it myself but with the dealer flash and time to schedule it I ended up working out a deal via the parts clerk to package it with my rear hitch install (free) and let them do both.

I will post the directions link for the kit shortly...

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk

I've got a 2013 1500 Quad SLT
Do you think the only stuff I would have to do is replace the module behind the backseat? Is there a way to tell if the wiring is already there?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here, and if all the wires are already ran so I don't have to pull my headliner, I'd like to do it myself

You will still need the Fobs flashed to the truck I do know that. I'm not 100% on your year but what he was telling me was that the pin connectors weren't there on my year so it's not possible but I'm a little skeptical of that and he wasn't 100% sure himself

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Links and info added to my previous post 10.

Edit: also added the PN's for each year per AllMoparParts.com

Last edited:

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just ordered the Mopar kit for my 2015. Was planning on doing the install this weekend but while reading through the instructions I see that once I install the RF Module behind the rear seat the truck won't start bc the keys currently in use won't be recognized? Kind of makes it hard for this thing to be installed DIY? Something to know up front..

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys should look into the DBall remote start. Its about 80bucks, takes 10 minutes and uses your current remote. Have it in my ram and the wifes wrangler.

XpressKit DBall2 with bypass module.

You take the ignition harness and plug it into the kit then the kit has a harness that plugs into the ignition.

To start you use your remote and hit the lock button 3 times.

Last edited:

boywithatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i had it installed on my 2016 tradesman with a standard key not a key with buttons. in the directions it says that the vehicle needs to be flashed before the rfh module is pluged in so if you install it your self you can install the hood latch the antena and wire everything in but do not plug in the rfh module till you take it to a dealer they flash it then plug it in and bam keyless and remote start on a 13 and newer 1500

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i had it installed on my 2016 tradesman with a standard key not a key with buttons. in the directions it says that the vehicle needs to be flashed before the rfh module is pluged in so if you install it your self you can install the hood latch the antena and wire everything in but do not plug in the rfh module till you take it to a dealer they flash it then plug it in and bam keyless and remote start on a 13 and newer 1500

That sounds the plan, I did all the installation just left the rear seat out with old RF still hooked up and the new one installed just not hooked up. Hood latch was easy but putting the pin in the BCU harness was a little difficult, not much room up in there.. Headed to the dealership first thing in the morning.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You guys should look into the DBall remote start. Its about 80bucks, takes 10 minutes and uses your current remote. Have it in my ram and the wifes wrangler.

XpressKit DBall2 with bypass module.

You take the ignition harness and plug it into the kit then the kit has a harness that plugs into the ignition.

To start you use your remote and hit the lock button 3 times.

Had this on the Journey we just traded in this spring. Worked great and installed myself in about 5min. Journey was an absolute POS but the remote start worked every time.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
In installed the Mopar remote start kit and had it flashed by the dealer. The only thing you have to make sure you do is keep the RF hub module unplugged until the dealer is ready to do the flash. It's all in the instructions.

Check to see if the wiring is there by the hood latch. Mine wasn't so I had to run it into the cab and splice into the BCM. If you aren't comfortable doing it then I would definitely have the dealer install.

I was quoted over 600 for the dealer to install the unit due to the labor cost @ 130/hr. I ended up driving it to them with the back bench seat removed and everything ready to go. The new RF hub was installed and the old one was zip tied in place so all they had to do was start the process, swap the plug from one hub to the other and it was done. Got it home and put the truck back together.

I did it the same time I put on tow mirrors and backup camera kit (also included splicing into the PCM under the hood). They charged me the $130 to flash in all of the codes.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In installed the Mopar remote start kit and had it flashed by the dealer. The only thing you have to make sure you do is keep the RF hub module unplugged until the dealer is ready to do the flash. It's all in the instructions.

Check to see if the wiring is there by the hood latch. Mine wasn't so I had to run it into the cab and splice into the BCM. If you aren't comfortable doing it then I would definitely have the dealer install.

I was quoted over 600 for the dealer to install the unit due to the labor cost @ 130/hr. I ended up driving it to them with the back bench seat removed and everything ready to go. The new RF hub was installed and the old one was zip tied in place so all they had to do was start the process, swap the plug from one hub to the other and it was done. Got it home and put the truck back together.

I did it the same time I put on tow mirrors and backup camera kit (also included splicing into the PCM under the hood). They charged me the $130 to flash in all of the codes.

That's exactly what I did, completed the install minus hooking up the new RF module, drove to the dealership and paid my $50 to have it flashed. Got home and put the back seat back in.

Mine didn't have the wiring in place for the hood latch but the kit I ordered came with it. I had to run the wire thru the firewall and into pin 11 on the BCM. Like I posted earlier, not much room under the dash fishing that wire but otherwise a simple,clean install.

Upper glove box and console are next up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye