Replace Right front stub axle Seal - - How To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This weekend I tacked my right front axle seal. it had been dripping a bit so it was time to make the necessary repairs. I am NOT a pro, but I do have the tools and stupidity to tackle just about anything. This was a pretty easy job. I should have taken more photos.

1. Jack the front end up and put jackstands underneath.
2. Remove right front tire and wheel.
3. Loosen and remove the Upper ball joint nut
4. separate the Upper ball joint to allow the steering knuckle to move outward.
2015-01-11090856.jpg

5. Using a pry bar, loosen the axle from the stub shaft. you will need to pop it to get it past the retainer clip.
2014-12-06112811.jpg

6. once you have it loose, it will slide on off. Support the now loose end of the axle so it does not hang or bind on the CV joints. I put the Ball Joint back together loosely here to keep it all supported.
7. Remove the two bolts on the seal assembly.
8. you will need to now pry the assembly out. I used a thin screwdriver and tapped it in. it will bend the flanges, but this is now trash so dont worry about it. Once out, you can then remove and clean up your stub axle
IMG_20170203_170715.jpg

IMG_20170203_170729.jpg

IMG_20170203_170738.jpg

9. clean up the housing area where the seal was.
10. to finish, insert the stub in to the housing. then place the seal around the stub. Insert the two bolts so that you can keep it lined up.
11. you will need to tap the seal in. use a large socket on an extension to press it in. be sure it goes on the metal and not the rubber. I didnt have one large enough so I just ently tightened each bolt a bit back and forth. when they were tight, I used the end of the extension to tap the other corners flush.
12. install the axle making sure it goes over the locking clip and is firm in place (seperate the ball joint first if you put it back together)
13. tighten ball joint back up.
14. install tire and wheel and then remove yoru safety stands.
15. top off the differential with the appropriate fluid.