Tailgate light bar installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray0214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im trying to install a tailgate light bar on my 2010 ram 1500 and have a few issues. First of all if anyone out there has installed on how did yo not cover up the access hole for the spare tire? Next is the wiring. The light bar comes with a typical flat 4 plug 4 wire harness with the typical green, yellow, brown, white and one other white for backup lights. The factory mounted light plug on the truck has seven wires coming from back of plug. Red..black.. Brown.. Green.. White w/red stripe.. White w/orange strike .. White with w/green stripe. Does anyone know which wires from 4 wire harness(plus white backup light wire) go to what wires on truck harness. I know i can just plug the light bar into the plug but I don't want it showing or taking up the 4 pin plug. Any help is appreciated

clutchmaster2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im trying to install a tailgate light bar on my 2010 ram 1500 and have a few issues. First of all if anyone out there has installed on how did yo not cover up the access hole for the spare tire? Next is the wiring. The light bar comes with a typical flat 4 plug 4 wire harness with the typical green, yellow, brown, white and one other white for backup lights. The factory mounted light plug on the truck has seven wires coming from back of plug. Red..black.. Brown.. Green.. White w/red stripe.. White w/orange strike .. White with w/green stripe. Does anyone know which wires from 4 wire harness(plus white backup light wire) go to what wires on truck harness. I know i can just plug the light bar into the plug but I don't want it showing or taking up the 4 pin plug. Any help is appreciated

I've installed two of them so far on the Gen 4 trucks. First off, I don't think there is a way around installing it without partially blocking the spare tire access hole. I just installed the light strip slightly above it to where you can still access the spare tire and not hit the light strip.

Second, after you wire in the reverse wire, I would try to locate a wiring diagram for the trailer plug. From looking on the outside of the trailer harness as it is hooked up to the truck, the lower left is ground, the left most (vertical)connector is for left turn/stop. The right most (vertical) connector is for right turn/ stop. The top left connector is for your tail lights. Once you identify which connector corresponds to which lighting function, wire it up accordingly. I always solder and heat shrink.

Tims RT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 R/T RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is an old thread, but you can buy these or I stopped by a Custom truck shop and told them what I needed he made me one for 20 bucks. Install took 2 minuets and looks clean
71b-sAY2TlL__SL1500_.jpg