Turn Signal Camera Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mcheath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Driver's side.

This is a little tricky as you have to get around the parking brake assembly.

Remove the same parts from the passenger side and pull the grommet out.

I had to pull the Christmas tree fastener by the brake assembly.
attachment.php

Here's the route I followed into the cab. Came out below the parking brake assembly. I simply used a box knife and cut a small slit in the bottom of the grommet and then fed the wire through it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• rps20150702_115330_933.jpg
    rps20150702_115330_933.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 727
  • rps20150702_115359_713.jpg
    rps20150702_115359_713.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 880
OP
OP
M

mcheath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to pull the wire up above the parking brake assembly so that it never gets caught and messed up.

I ran a wire coat hanger down where I wanted to pull the wire up to, taped the wire on, and pulled it up. The arrows show the top and bottom of the coat hanger wire where I slid it through. Taped the camera wire onto the bottom of the coat hanger wire and pulled it up.
attachment.php

Here's the camera wire now above all the parking brake assembly. I then simply routed it inwards and reattached it to my harness.
Where the wire comes up is circled in red.
attachment.php

Attachments

• rps20150702_115423_537.jpg
    rps20150702_115423_537.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 736
  • rps20150702_115445_181.jpg
    rps20150702_115445_181.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 755
OP
OP
M

mcheath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Final look at the new install all buttoned up. Much cleaner. Shoutout to SitKneelBend again for the idea.:favorites13:

Circled in red where the wire goes through the grommet.
attachment.php

Attachments

• rps20150702_115509_070.jpg
    rps20150702_115509_070.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 681
OP
OP
M

mcheath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
one more question- I am putting in all new door speakers at the same time, so the panels will be off. I am freaked the hell out about popping that mirror off. Can I drill the hole from below and snake the wire into the truck you think? from that triangle piece where the power from the mirrors goes thru?

I don't know how you route that wire through the mirror assembly without taking the mirror itself off, and then disassembling the whole mirror housing.

Pulling the mirror off was scary, but the WD40 on the pressure points made it easy. I've gone out once more to add some glue on the cameras where they come inside the housing and popped the mirrors off in seconds, it gets easier with practice.

And they still work fine. But use the WD 40!

As for drilling in a painted housing, I don't know what will happen.

m4mckeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
:peace: Nice Job love the write up!!!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Once again great write up. I wouldn't have tackled this myself without your initial steps.

You make a good point about the parking brake area. I initially tried to go up with the wires but it was getting lost somewhere in there. There appear to be several layers of metal when coming through the drivers side with the easiest path being down as you illustrated.

Great work mcheath!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DocHoliday

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, got the whole kit you specified, but I have a red wire with my yellow that is going to my lock pick and then I have a red and black 12V set of wires ? plus my camera feed. Can you tell me where the red wire with the yellow goes? does that go into the lock pick power camera wire? or do I used the red and black set for the lock pick power and ground, so then what does that red wire do?

OP
OP
M

mcheath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think, if I'm following you correctly, that having that 12v yellow and 12v red camera wire are confusing. They both do the exact same thing, offer 12v power for a camera. That confused me as well, why not label them all the same I thought?

So you can use any of the camera power connections for cameras, orange, red, yellow etc. One is labeled "reverse cam" and I used that for that, but the ones labeled "additional camera power", "12v ACC output" and "12v constant" I wired up for my mirror and front cameras.

sgalligan04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
wow!! awesome write up, i wish i had the smarts and ability to do this. :word:

DocHoliday

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a little more help- my question was on the camera wires, I got the lock pick wires down, thanks to you and the labels.
my cameras have one red wire coming out of them at the very end by the yellow RCA. Then they have a red and black wire set coming out closer up towards the camera. These are exactly what you said to order, so whats up with the 2 red wires> can I just tap the red hot into the lock pick and use the yellow RCA or do I need that other red and black combo set ? my point is the red and black don't go the whole way, they stop about half way down and then only a red wire and a yellow RCA are at the end of my cable.

thank you for your helpl

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
a little more help- my question was on the camera wires, I got the lock pick wires down, thanks to you and the labels.
my cameras have one red wire coming out of them at the very end by the yellow RCA. Then they have a red and black wire set coming out closer up towards the camera. These are exactly what you said to order, so whats up with the 2 red wires> can I just tap the red hot into the lock pick and use the yellow RCA or do I need that other red and black combo set ? my point is the red and black don't go the whole way, they stop about half way down and then only a red wire and a yellow RCA are at the end of my cable.

thank you for your helpl
I would imagine red is hot and red/black is ground. Can you take a picture and post it?

DocHoliday

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what did you use? did you use the other red wire by the RCA connector? its actually a trigger wire for backup camera systems to tell it its in reverse, and to come on. But I didn't need it to make the camera come on, so how diyou wire yours?

Ruiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Subscribed for future reference.

Thanks for the write up, my cameras are on order. Should be in at the end of the month. Perfect project to work on while my gate mural is getting painted. Keeps my mind off that.

2013megacab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Thanks for the excellent writeup. I had no idea the capability for all these cameras existed. I would like to add a link to a camera in the rear of my travel trailer for when towing. Currently I use a wireless webcam and a router in the trailer and a tablet in the truck. The front camera would be great. I am always afraid I'm going to hit something when parking the truck, but when I get out I am two feet from the car in front of me.

Are these camera inputs available with the 2013 8.4AN radio? IF so and the truck has to be programmed, what options are associated with which cameras? I'm thinking I could use the cargo camera to connect the trailer camera. I have read that when the option is enabled a button appears on the radio screen. What turns on the front camera, another button?

Thanks!,

Al

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the excellent writeup. I had no idea the capability for all these cameras existed. I would like to add a link to a camera in the rear of my travel trailer for when towing. Currently I use a wireless webcam and a router in the trailer and a tablet in the truck. The front camera would be great. I am always afraid I'm going to hit something when parking the truck, but when I get out I am two feet from the car in front of me.

Are these camera inputs available with the 2013 8.4AN radio? IF so and the truck has to be programmed, what options are associated with which cameras? I'm thinking I could use the cargo camera to connect the trailer camera. I have read that when the option is enabled a button appears on the radio screen. What turns on the front camera, another button?

Thanks!,

Al
The additional cameras can be added by the use of additional hardware/software interfaces that utilizes the radio's built in backup camera feature and hijacks the signal fed to the display. Two manufacturers currently provide systems to add additional cameras for the 8.4 radios (1) UConnect Lockpick Air v2 from Coastal Electronics and (2) The RAX Jailbreak from Customtronix.

2013megacab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The additional cameras can be added by the use of additional hardware/software interfaces that utilizes the radio's built in backup camera feature and hijacks the signal fed to the display. Two manufacturers currently provide systems to add additional cameras for the 8.4 radios (1) UConnect Lockpick Air v2 from Coastal Electronics and (2) The RAX Jailbreak from Customtronix.

Thanks SitKneelBend. I thought some posts I had seen here referred to a factory option cargo camera that mounted in the high mounted stop light/bed light and turning on some option code would enable it. If so, then I could figure out how to get a video signal from my trailer cam and route it to the connector for the cargo cam.

Al

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks SitKneelBend. I thought some posts I had seen here referred to a factory option cargo camera that mounted in the high mounted stop light/bed light and turning on some option code would enable it. If so, then I could figure out how to get a video signal from my trailer cam and route it to the connector for the cargo cam.

Al
I pulled the camera input pins from jeepguy's old thread and listed them for those that want all 3 inputs with the CustomTronix Jailbreak....
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=980192

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

DocHoliday

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hi guys, I need some help, my ******* got the mirror off - camera installed and now on the drivers side I cannot get the mirror back on. I thought I could turn the mirror motor up, and then hook in the bottom parts and then turn it down...but the mirror motor wont turn! i hear it, wrrrrrr every so quietly, but the square mirror flange will not turn. I am lost. the mirror popped right off, no issues, and then i didn't even remove the casing, i came in thru the bottom with the drill and the mirror, boom done. and now the mirror will not turn for me to re-install. the passenger mirror which i didn't remove still works fine. Help!

OP
OP
M

mcheath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm, not sure what's happened. Perhaps the mount for the mirror on the motor is stuck from being moved up or down too far. Have you tired moving it by hand?

DocHoliday

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep, moved it too far, broke out of the carriage, tried to push it back in, pulled the sides away and slid it back in, now it doesn't even work, no sound, no nothing - need a new one! anyone got a new one, used one, mirror assembly?