vehicle 911 error a few months after ra4 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i upgraded my 2014 express from a ra2 to a ra4 about 4 months ago. It has been working fine up until the last 3 weeks or so.

Basically I have two issues that seem to be related. I get a message 2-3 times a week about the vehicle 911 phone needing service.

I originally purchased the purple 911 connector (its basically just a resistor). I checked the resistor with a meter and its fine. I also replaced the resistor just to be safe, but I received the message today even after swapping the resistor and verifying the new one was also working with a meter.

Prior to the 911 error i was noticing that my clock (which is set to gps sync) sometime randomly freezes and the clock will not progress until i shut the vehicle off and back on.

Recently the two seem to occur around the same time. I will get the 911 error and then within a few minutes the clock stops.

Its possible that the unit is just bad i guess but it works fine otherwise and worked fine for a few months leading up to this. My uconnect shows a 3g signal so despite not having an account for my car/vin there does seem to be some sort of a connection, I was curious if there was possibly an update.

The only other thing i know of is that when i originally installed the radio it had an active xm account, that went in-active a few weeks later after i called to inquire about traffic info. I think they shut me down as a result of that call when i basically told them i got the unit from a junk yard and the info they had on file was wrong.

If they went a step further (ie some kind of blacklist) than just putting me on a inactive account could that in any way cause this?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The 911 phone works off of sprint's cellular network and has nothing to do with Sirius. The clock works off the government gps satellites and again has nothing to do with Sirius. I renewed my subscription on my radio when it ran out and they renewed it and let me keep the additional 4 years free travelink on my account, and I also told them it was a boneyard radio. I wonder if your Sat trial just ran out, not that they disabled it and blacklisted you. Sound like an issue with the unit or you dummy load antenna or perhaps puck antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OP, I am currently experiencing the same thing as you, started a few weeks ago with one small difference, my SXM kicked back on (for free)...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, I am currently experiencing the same thing as you, started a few weeks ago with one small difference, my SXM kicked back on (for free)...

I am hearing that there was a mini update pushed in order to make way for the 17.11.07 update. Without a true cell connection I cannot be sure we were even capable of receiving this update, but maybe they changed something on their systems that makes our cars less compatible with just the 911 resistor?

I am considering getting a shark fin antenna and just temporarily hooking it up to the radio to see if it makes any difference. I have a quad cab and do not plan on taking the whole interrior apart. I asked in another thread about the possibility of installing the shark fin either under the dash out of the way or possibly in the engine bay. I would rather do that. Not sure how how bad the reception would be or if it would even work, only interested in getting that latest update to fix the clock..

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am hearing that there was a mini update pushed in order to make way for the 17.11.07 update. Without a true cell connection I cannot be sure we were even capable of receiving this update, but maybe they changed something on their systems that makes our cars less compatible with just the 911 resistor?

I am considering getting a shark fin antenna and just temporarily hooking it up to the radio to see if it makes any difference. I have a quad cab and do not plan on taking the whole interrior apart. I asked in another thread about the possibility of installing the shark fin either under the dash out of the way or possibly in the engine bay. I would rather do that. Not sure how how bad the reception would be or if it would even work, only interested in getting that latest update to fix the clock..
I've speculated there was a pre-update update, but I have yet to hear it confirmed. My symptoms are quite similar to yours...

Timothy Schuman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I have been having the same 911 error in my 2014 Ram 2500 along with the radio not coming on right away. The dealer tried 3 time to install the current update before it took. They also said the the unit it toast?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They had a problem about this and Ram says they corrected the problem with a update sent to the units and as for the 911 problem that only works if you subscribe to u connect and pay but also it will go through your cell phone if linked with the blue tooth seems these radio,s are not worth the money they cost when new too many software updates and then the dealer will give hard time to update anything they want money but its Rams software not ours