>$20 security tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
For the price of a switch you can install a hidden starter interrupt switch. Coming from the ign switch is a yellow wire, this energies the starter relay. Simply put something like a rocker switch inline and with the switch in the off position the starter won't crank.

Here is another that I didn't think of but someone shared that is a security method for emergency vehicles. As I'm sure everyone knows you have to step on the brake to move the shift lever out of PARK. The brake switch has three sets of contacts. I'm taking this from memory so double check. But there is one set that is normally closed going to the Instrument Cluster to deactivate the cruise/brake lights, the second is normally open and activates the third light which opeates separately for some reason and the third set which is normally open is a brake position sense going to the PCM. This wire releases the shifter lock allowing lever movement. Installing a hidden switch would lock the lever until both the switch and brake was pushed at the same time.

I don't know how effective this mod is but to my thinking it isn't good to have a hot air (gases) pulled into the intake tube (CAI) and may help keep the TB clean. So I plugged the fitting on the inlet tube and bought a small filter and attached it direcrly to the oil fill tube.

img2013040700051.jpg

Good luck

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Yeah I have something similar to this, its a little rfid unit that only allows the car to be started when the unit is in the car... unfortunately for me the company no longer exists, if anything happens... I'm screwed and have to get a whole new system from a diff company

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Yeah I have something similar to this, its a little rfid unit that only allows the car to be started when the unit is in the car... unfortunately for me the company no longer exists, if anything happens... I'm screwed and have to get a whole new system from a diff company

Thats an excellent idea which I really hadn't considered with the oem ignition. But I was planning on removing my door handles at some point and thought of going completely keyless using a token to activate the electric doors and push button ignition.

well done..

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Disregard my post
Swype-n from my Galaxy Note

Say brother, you didn't expect to see me over here..... it's been awhile.

You know what I think about the @#$% DSP.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Its all good. I just removed it as i dont think i really matches you scenario/setup

My truck is parked for long durations now so i removed my custom tune and the truck now does not even crank over, it just clicks. Then when i take the Pumpkin for a ride i just reload the custom tune back on and she is purring just fine.

Cheap theft deterrent if you truck only runs with a custom tune.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
if the truck only clicks on ignition... thats a dead battery. I have had the same problem with my moms gmc and we replaced the battery and it was all good. they tested the battery and it was a bad cell, couldnt charge to save it, had to get a new one. I dont know if this is the same as your scenario but thats what we had to dI

jsmith180601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Re: >$20 security tricks

Would a momentary switch work or does it have to be a regular spst switch

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

jsmith180601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

And how many amps would be necisarry

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep an eye on the filter. i have one on mine too and underneath is all oily now. i got a longer piece of tube and re routed it up next to the brake booster. good ideas for security though. Does the starter need constant voltage? was thinking a pressure switch under the carpet would be cool and not have to open and close the hood to flip the switch?

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L

if the truck only clicks on ignition... thats a dead battery. I have had the same problem with my moms gmc and we replaced the battery and it was all good. they tested the battery and it was a bad cell, couldnt charge to save it, had to get a new one. I dont know if this is the same as your scenario but thats what we had to dI

Nothing wrong with the battery. Its due to removing the custom tune.

Swype-n from my Galaxy Note

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
All my switches are in the cab. A momentary switch under the carpet would work.

C.Carmichael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For the price of a switch you can install a hidden starter interrupt switch. Coming from the ign switch is a yellow wire, this energies the starter relay. Simply put something like a rocker switch inline and with the switch in the off position the starter won't crank.

Here is another that I didn't think of but someone shared that is a security method for emergency vehicles. As I'm sure everyone knows you have to step on the brake to move the shift lever out of PARK. The brake switch has three sets of contacts. I'm taking this from memory so double check. But there is one set that is normally closed going to the Instrument Cluster to deactivate the cruise/brake lights, the second is normally open and activates the third light which opeates separately for some reason and the third set which is normally open is a brake position sense going to the PCM. This wire releases the shifter lock allowing lever movement. Installing a hidden switch would lock the lever until both the switch and brake was pushed at the same time.

I don't know how effective this mod is but to my thinking it isn't good to have a hot air (gases) pulled into the intake tube (CAI) and may help keep the TB clean. So I plugged the fitting on the inlet tube and bought a small filter and attached it direcrly to the oil fill tube.

img2013040700051.jpg

Good luck

I don't know where you are located, but in ontario Canada, it is highly illegal to use those filters for that application... May be worth looking into local laws...

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I don't know where you are located, but in ontario Canada, it is highly illegal to use those filters for that application... May be worth looking into local laws...

I think you will find that many mods are technically illegal in one state or another. Canada has DDL requirement where the lower 48 doesn't as a example. I have dual cats on a 03, no doubt technically illegal, it passes inspection, so I'll call it all good.

C.Carmichael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Fair enough. Just thought I would point it out incase :) I like your idea for the ign interlock switch

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Although the security mods you made are good for pre 2006 trucks they are pretty useless on the 206 and beyond years. All Dodge Trucks from 2006 (and maybe earlier not sure though I got a 2007 and a 2006) you must have a programmed key to start and drive your truck. You can start your truck with a key made by WalMart, but the engine will shut off as soon as you try to move the truck. And from the dealership if you use a non programmed key in your truck 3 times you will have to have your keys reprogrammed to your truck or it will not do anything at all. Found that out the hard way.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Although the security mods you made are good for pre 2006 trucks they are pretty useless on the 206 and beyond years. All Dodge Trucks from 2006 (and maybe earlier not sure though I got a 2007 and a 2006) you must have a programmed key to start and drive your truck. You can start your truck with a key made by WalMart, but the engine will shut off as soon as you try to move the truck. And from the dealership if you use a non programmed key in your truck 3 times you will have to have your keys reprogrammed to your truck or it will not do anything at all. Found that out the hard way.

Doesn't sound all that convenient. :sad72:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GOnna add a bit of information for all of us. If you have the GREY ignition key, then you have the programmed key design, and using any other key other than a grey one 3 times will cause you to have to go to the dealership and have your truck reprogrammed for your keys.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha screw that, that's why my current truck is my 2nd '03

I have an early 05 that I recently bought. It does not have the grey keys. Not exactly sure just when they switched to using programmed keys but it must have been in the 05 year. But my 07 my wifes 08 and the 07 I am redoing for my daughter all have the grey programmed keys. I will be glad when the dealership finishes my wifes repairs (she is getting a new Hemi to replace her fied 4.7l), then I can restart getting the 07 quad cab done for my daughters upcoming 16th B-Day. :Get him!: