03 dodge 5.9 cummins into an 07 dodge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcberry05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have a 2003 that my brother wrecked. just to much cosmetic damage that i am looking at doing and engine swap and maybe a tranny swap into another 3rd gen. what do i need to do. im assuming the wiring harness for any other 3rd gen will be the same. will the ecu?

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
You'll have to swap the engine harness and the ECU from the cummins Ram for sure. Possibly a few other electrical things as well. The exhaust is a given. Since you have the entire truck to pick parts from it should be easily doable.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
07 use a different canbus then 03
Itll be harder then just switching everything over

OP
OP
D

dcberry05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
what will be harder exactly? i can swap whatever i need to over. it would definitely be nice to be able to swap over to anything 03 or newer, especially newer, that has a blown engine. it would definitely be cheaper than buying another truck that runs or repairing the damage to my current truck because theres just to mush damage to the truck.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like Stangshcky12 said the 07 will have a lot of canbus controlled stuff in it where as the 03s didn't. So I'm not quite sure how you'll get everything to work going from a non canbus truck to a canbus one. Canbus is such a pain in the ass if one little thing isn't perfect the truck will lose its mind I promise you lol. Canbus has its finger in everything. You may be able to physically put the motor and trans in the 07, but it probably will have no headlights, taillights, radio, gauge cluster, hvac , power anything, etc. In fact the ignition on an 07 is canbus I believe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dcberry05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok I get what your saying. Is 07 when they started that. Cus I'm just trying to figure out what I can and can't put it in.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What do you have in your '07?

If you are putting in a CTD into another CTD, then it simplifies things.

Where you may hit a snag is in regards to some of the sensors where you may end up not being able to install some of the required sensors on the older block.

If you are swapping the CTD into a Gasser then the above previous comments definitely apply as to the required parts swap and the complexity of the hole thing.

It may come all the way up to the point where you have to swap the cabin internal harnesses and instrument cluster from the '03 into the '07...

Good luck with that one...

darrollr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I am in the same boat. I have an 07 5.9 cummins mega cab with a blown motor and an 03 5.9 with perfect motor low miles in totaled truck. I want to put the 03 motor in my 07 truck but don't know how to make it work with the canbus system. Can anyone please help?