Bedliner diy roll on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bedliner diy roll on
I had seen videos of this being applied and thought I'd give it a shot to help do some preventative maintenance. In the bed o had dents and major and minor scratches. I understand it's a truck but I wanted it to look good still. It's still a long way from a beater truck. It also had some rust spots that I wanted to take care of before it was too late.
Herculiner was the major name that stuck out to me. People at the local parts shop swore by it. Reviews weren't too bad.
The kit contents-
One Gallon of Herculiner Ready-to-use Protective Coating
Application Brush for Tight Spots and Corners
Two Rollers for Easy/Even Application
One Roller Handle
Abrasive Pad to Prepare Truck Bed
Covers (1) 6 Ft. Truck bed (Quart can addition necessary for 8ft truck bed liner)
Instructions were really good and explained every step. And with some help from forum members here, everything went smooth. With the kit it included a scruff pad but thankfully I had a sander with 150 grit and that was extremely faster than a scrub pad you would use by hand, especially with a large surface area as a truck bed.
I started out with my tailgate first to see how it would turn out. After the first layer I really liked it so I started preparing my bed.
ca625823e8a4f84dcafdbddc9d4fb21f.jpgd7ffbe04f014610d8d34b5453d0df167.jpg4c0dcdc7c62e9746f4fc161fea5281c9.jpg
Started out cleaning the truck bed. I have dirt, twigs, chains and a gas jug and a lot more misc crap in it on the daily. The chains and gas jug had started to take off the first layer of paint. Needed to take care of that before rust started to set in.
Taping off would be the MOST important part of this entire project. I only taped the border for the side rails. I spent an hour just to make sure it was as straight as an arrow. I should of also taped under my side rails where my led strips are so I could have had a clean finish but I'm not too worried about it since no one looks up at that area anyway.
I took the sander to every surface I could get into. Using all sorts of weird angles since the sander didn't fit into the grooves. That'd be too easy if it did haha.
fc8bfa14620b7c9efb34ff0c50c7c4fb.jpg
After getting off all the dust, it was finally time to start putting down the first layer. As stated in instructions, I started out covering the corners first. Over globbing them and then evening them out with the roller. I did the sides, rails, and front first. Then did the bed floor.
b98dd2343c95ea03fb0c04517414b96b.jpg
So this is when I messed up. In the instructions, it states to let it sit for about 1-4 hours before applying second coat. But to apply the second coat within 24 hours of first coat. So I let it sit over night and was going to apply the second coat when I get off work, approximately 18 hours later. So I posted a picture of what I had done so far and a fellow forum member states that it bonds the two layers better if you apply it when it was still sticky and not dried. I got home from work and busted my ass to try and complete in time and I believe if I was an hour later I would have had to start over with sanding the first layer.
Number 9 in the instruction states, 'Apply a second coat of HERCULINER to the taped seam just before the first coat dries. This will enable the tape to be removed without tearing. If tape sticks to HERCULINER, run a razor along the taped edge. 'This is where I messed up again. I didn't take the trim tape until the second layer of paint was dried! Terrible! Don't do this! My liner didn't tear too bad, it could of been way worse. But in the same breath, I really am kicking myself for not paying more attention to detail and taking it off when I was supposed to, after I applied my second coat, making sure it wasn't going to run. Now every time I look at the mini jagged marks....it serves as a reminder.
I let it dry over night and drive it to work the next, after checking it wasn't sticky.
Only thing I would suggest differently would be to get similar rollers but not foam ones. I got about 20% of the way though my second coat when the roller started to fall apart. I can see little pieces of the roller now in my final coat and had to pull them off while it was still wet. Not a big deal but just tedious. I was home alone so I couldn't run into town with my wife's car to get a replacement.
During my application, I had perfect weather. Sunny and 75. I did my tail gate in my garage but there's not nearly enough room for my truck to fit. So I did it during the day and hoped leaves or the neighborhood cats wouldn't get in and walk over the wet bedliner. No problems at all thankfully.
I still have to do the top of my tailgate but that'll be sometime soon.
If you have any questions feel free to ask! This was my first time with this material. I made some mistakes but we'll see if they have long term effects.
So now, after whoever reads this, they know a little more for what to look out for.

For the final product
95956487cf178ff491fcfd59a062e336.jpgaf195b352d1db86f01141439a3815908.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
akennedyusmc

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this three months ago. It's held up pretty good. For the cost, it works. I really wish I would have just gotten a mat or plastic bedliner instead. I used my truck to help move some heavy items like book shelfs and boxes and when we got them in the truck, we had to slide it and it started to scratch the bedliner on my tailgate. It's just not as heavy duty as my old trucks plastic bedliner.

Jamesq87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That was my issue with the diy. My truck came with line x and its been great. I have no idea how much they want though

OP
OP
akennedyusmc

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember correctly they asked 400-500. I didn't ask but a buddy of mine did for his truck. Knowing that I said naw I can do that on my own lol. Does yours scratch off easily with heavy materials?

OP
OP
akennedyusmc

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah man lol I remember not sanding too thoroughly in some areas and it's starting to come up there too. Like near the edge of the bed cap where I was careful not to sand too far down

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I did this three months ago. It's held up pretty good. For the cost, it works. I really wish I would have just gotten a mat or plastic bedliner instead. I used my truck to help move some heavy items like book shelfs and boxes and when we got them in the truck, we had to slide it and it started to scratch the bedliner on my tailgate. It's just not as heavy duty as my old trucks plastic bedliner.

Does it scratch easy or dig up at all

4.7 v8
Hi flow cat/flowmaster exhaust
7 inch lift/5 inch lift
20 inch falken wildpeak at3/33's

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I really want to do this to mines but seeing all the flaking occasionally and sometimes I take heavy housework to the dump I just don't want it to fall apart down the road

4.7 v8
7 inch lift/5 inch lift

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I used Herculiner when I got my first Ram (2G). It looks good and is easy to apply, but it doesn't hold up well. I had my 3G done professionally and it's held up well. It is now at the point where it's thinning and flaking. I had a plastic bedliner in the Ford I had prior to the 2G Ram. Honestly, it is the superior method to prevent bed damage, at the expense of paint damage.

Jamesq87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I remember correctly they asked 400-500. I didn't ask but a buddy of mine did for his truck. Knowing that I said naw I can do that on my own lol. Does yours scratch off easily with heavy materials?

Mine is still intact. I don't haul a ton but I've dragged dressers and stuff across when I moved. My uncle has hauled gravel before I got it. If you get the line x, I don't think you will regret it.

OP
OP
akennedyusmc

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it scratch easy or dig up at all

4.7 v8
7 inch lift/5 inch lift

I do dump trips, help people move, haul lumber for my old man and a lot of other random chores around the house. Only the wood and dressers and such sliding has dug/scratch the liner.

Mine is still intact. I don't haul a ton but I've dragged dressers and stuff across when I moved. My uncle has hauled gravel before I got it. If you get the line x, I don't think you will regret it.

I'm a cheap skate and it was hard to pay nearly $100 lol. It looked good for the first 2 weeks but where I'm at it's super dusty from multiple harvest seasons and it just sits and collects dust. Thinking about getting a mat from a friends new horse trailer and cutting it to size.

I used Herculiner when I got my first Ram (2G). It looks good and is easy to apply, but it doesn't hold up well. I had my 3G done professionally and it's held up well. It is now at the point where it's thinning and flaking. I had a plastic bedliner in the Ford I had prior to the 2G Ram. Honestly, it is the superior method to prevent bed damage, at the expense of paint damage.

Agreed. To late now lol

I really want to do this to mines but seeing all the flaking occasionally and sometimes I take heavy housework to the dump I just don't want it to fall apart down the road

4.7 v8
7 inch lift/5 inch lift

Time will definitely tell. Lol

04yfz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Where did you get those LED lights? Are they just some universal LED strips?

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used herculiner multiple times.

Bed of a yamaha Viking
Flatbed of my old chevy firewood truck
Floor pans of same chevy.
Just did rocker panels on my 2017 Ram.

It's always worked excellent for me.

OP
OP
akennedyusmc

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you get those LED lights? Are they just some universal LED strips?

They are just some led strip off amazon. These are water proof too. They worked great. I'm getting ready to do this with my new truck too!

My new truck came with line x and it is way better I think. The diy was textured really rough. But hey that's what you get when you're a cheap ass lol.

OP
OP
akennedyusmc

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
after doing 3 DYI and having my Line-x now, ill never DYI again. Line-x is guaranteed for life, looks better and not worth the $-time savings for me

I agree with you 100%. No way I'm getting all messy again. That **** didn't come off for days it felt like

Geer hed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I've used this a couple times and am very pleased with it. I found though putting on two or three coats works best. I even used this on the entire outside of my 82 CJ-7, so I wouldn't worry about scratching it when plowing or going through the woods. It held up very well I thought.

There is good and bad to any bed protection. The plastic slide in liners get very slippery and let stuff slide around in side the bed, The DIY liners or the paid for spray in liners can get damaged, especially when you use them for actual work.

Another one you can use that I have actually been impressed with is Dupli-color truck bed coating. It doesn't go on as thick but it holds up remarkably well for a spray. We used it on brackets for the rear bumper that we made for our 2013 Ram 4500 work truck and they still look the same as the day we put them on. If nothing else it works for a touch up, unless you paint the inside of the bed.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I've already purchased the Hurcules product and am just waiting for decent weather to get started. I don't plan on hauling anything but the fiver with it so I shouldn't have any wear issues. What you guys have shown looks really good----thanks for the pics!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Highly recommend using a cheap spray gun.. makes a fast even job of it.