Borla Exhaust on a 2008 Dodge Ram Crew Cab - 5.7 Liter Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobKnoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Fellow Ram Owners,

I am new to the board but I wanted to share my experience installing a Borla Cat-Back system on my 2008 Dodge Ram Crew Cab with a 5.7 Liter Hemi. The system I installed was Borla Part Number 140187.

I think it’s worth noting that I did explore some of the other brands when looking into aftermarket exhaust systems but everything I read, and what I know about Borla, made it an easy choice for me. They use 100% T-304 Stainless Steel (the good stuff!) throughout the system and I knew the fitment was going to be perfect, which it was. The sound is incredible… no drone at any RPM and it’s got an aggressive sound under acceleration and it’s very quiet when you’re just cruising. And one of best parts is the roar to life when you start the vehicle. It reminds you that you made the right choice, not to mention they have a Million-Mile warranty.

Just so you can hear the idle different between the two, below is a quick video of what my truck sounded like stock at idle (truck was cold so idle was a little high):

https://youtu.be/Tzmc2dkjNos

Another great thing about this system was that it came with great, detailed instructions with photos straight from Borla. Everything, to include the tool list, was extremely accurate. They even knew where I was going to struggle with removing part of the old exhaust.
This is my how-to sequence of what I did to remove and install the old exhaust:
1. Jack vehicle up on level ground and support on jack stands for a little added work room. Make sure to check stability before getting under vehicle.
2. Loosen all old clamps (3) with 15mm deep socket or wrench.
3. Remove rear section of exhaust (over the rear axle) being careful to support old parts when removing the rubber hangers
4. Remove the muffler (be careful, it’s heavy and a little awkward.
5. Try to remove front pipe section. This was challenging for me because Dodge uses a round clamp that crimped the pipe to the Y-section so even by loosening the clamp, the pipe didn’t want to come off. I ended up cutting a small groove into the old pipe with a die grinder and bending it a little to get it off. No harm was done to the Y-pipe that remains on the truck.

Here is a photo of both systems, side-by-side.

Borla%20and%20Stock%20Exhaust%20Side-By-Side.jpg

I’ll admit that an old rusty exhaust looks pretty bad against a brand new, stainless system but it’s worth noting that Borla takes a lot of pride in the finish of their entire system, not just the chrome tips. The stainless pipe they use shines so well that it looks polished but isn't ... and the welds are beefy with no indication that they will ever leak or fail.

This is the order that I installed the new system. Their instructions remind you not to tighten the clamps until the end for fine tuning and that was a good recommendation, although very little adjustment needed to be done. The fitment was nearly perfect and very, very clean. The only adjustment I really did was lining up the two dual exhaust tips to ensure they were about ½ inch below my rear bumper.

1. Slide on front muffler assembly and attach hanger
2. Slide on muffler
3. Install Collector assembly (section that goes over the rear axle and splits the exhaust for rear tail pipe assemblies.
4. Install right tail pipe assembly
5. Install left tail pipe hanger bracket (provided by Borla) below leaf-spring assembly (15mm socket)
6. Install left tail pipe assembly
7. Going from front to rear, double check alignment and torque all clamps to 32-35 ft. lbs.

Once installed, wipe the tips down and marvel at the new look of your Ram:

Borla%20Exhaust%20Installed.jpg

Borla%20Tip%20Close%20Up%20Photo.jpg

Here’s a video of the system under the vehicle while it was still on jack stands:

https://youtu.be/5apNAhHEfpM

Here’s the video of the exhaust idle of the new system.

https://youtu.be/veaXLM8DYik

Thanks for reading my write up and throw down any comments or questions you might have about this how-to.

Dat_HEMI_Tho

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 1500 SLT 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
Awesome write up! Just curious, how do people respond to it? Does the noise turn heads pretty fast?