DIY: McGaughy's 2/4 Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is for the McGaughy's 2/4 drop with spindles & flip kit.

Sorry I didn't take pics but this should help some at least :D

The rear:

-Take off wheels.
-Undo the bolts for the U-Bolts, and leaf springs on both sides. You can remove the -Ubolts. But don't try to take the bolts out for the leaf springs, there is too much tension on them.
-Put jackstands underneath your axle as low to the ground as you can go.
-Find a spot to jack up the body, ie: rear bumper, hitch
-Jack up the body of the truck as far as you can, this should take most of the tension off the leaf springs and shackle bolts so that you can knock the loose bolts out.
-If you can, put a jackstand under the body of the truck to keep it at that maximum height.
-Once you removed all bolts, you should be able to pull out the leafsprings and shackles.
-Simply put the leaf springs under the axle now and put the bolts in to hold them and your new shackles in place, don't tighten them yet. You can also put your leafspring perch on now and try to snug up the Ubolts. I welded my perches on instead of leavin them sittin there.
-Once you get that all done, slowly let down on the body, until it's completely down and there is weight on the axle again. Now, you can tighten up all your bolts.
-Now, just jack up on the axle, and put your wheels back on.
::: That should cover it all, unless I missed a step but you get the overall idea :::

For the front:
-Take off wheels.
-Then, you will need to take your caliper off the rotor, and set it up on the upper control arm.
-Take off your rotor and set it aside. You'll need to use a ball joint press of some sort to get the upper ball joint off without messin it up, unless you want to buy new ones.
-Then, just unbolt the 3 bolts or so that hold the stock spindle in place.
-Before puttin the new spindles on, put some grease in the center holes
-Put the new spindle on and put everything back together.

This will help for the rear: McGaughy's Dodge Ram SRT Lowering Kit - Leaf Springs - Truckin' Magazine

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Kristin, I suggest you go a head and remove the OEM bump to get some axle travel. I ran mine for a couple of weeks without bumps and it doesn't hit often unless you have some really bad roads to deal with.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
defdo the front you will wear out the inside of your tires if you dont

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score