DIY: Torque Converter Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a quick tutorial on installing a Torque Converter. The vehicle shown is a 2004 Ram 2500 Hemi 2WD. The install should be very similar to most other Rams as well.

Step One: Gather all required parts, supplies, and tools. Having access to a lift is highly advised. Some things you will need: Torque Converter, at least 17 quarts of ATF +4, tranny filter kit, RTV sealant, impact wrench/sockets, swivel adapter, a really long extension (i used a 36"), socket/wrench sets, torx drivers/bits, transmission jack, screw drivers, and a buddy or two to help.

Step Two: Get your truck up on the lift. Get it high enough so you can stand underneath it and work comfortably.

Step Three: Remove Drive Shaft. This was very easy. It can be accomplished by removing the 4 bolts that hold it onto the rear axle, then sliding it out of the transmission. (I am not positive, but this could be different for 4WD or half ton trucks)

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Step Four: Drain Fluid from pan. (this step is optional. you can install a new converter without changing the fluid. this is totally up to you though) Having a drain plug helps tremendously. If you aren't fortunate enough to have one, then loosen up the pan until you can drop one corner and begin pouring the fluid out.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Step Five: Get your exhaust out of the way. I chose to totally remove my exhaust so I would have as much room to work as possible. To do this, just remove the 4 bolts attaching your Y pipe to your headers, then slide it off all the hangers. This is optional though.

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Step Six: Remove all electrical connections, fluid lines, and dip stick tube. You can mark the wires with tape and a marker if you need to, but its pretty obvious which connecter goes where when reassembling. Next loosen the fluid lines that send and receive from the tranny cooler. just loosen the smaller nut with a wrench, and slide the tube out. (note, these will leak fluid). To take the dip stick off of the tranny, you will need to take two bolts out, one holding the tube above the pan, and the other holding it to the bell housing.

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

Step Seven: Remove Starter. It is attached to the bell housing on the driver's side. it is held in by two bolts. remove it, and secure it out of the way. I zip tied it to the frame.

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

Step 8: Remove the "structural dust cover" between the engine oil pan, and transmission. this will give you a little bit of access to remove the 4 bolts attaching the torque converter to the fly wheel. Then, using a large screw driver, or something of the sort, spin the fly wheel so you can take off each bolt. Or alternately, you could use a large ratchet, and spin the crank bolt to rotate the fly wheel.

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Step 9: Support tranny with a tranny jack, and remove both cross members. This is fairly self explanatory, if you cannot figure this out, you probably should not be doing this procedure. It helps having an impact wrench to remove the cross members.

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

Step 10: Unbolt tranny from the engine. You are going to need a very long extension to do this. I used a 36" extension.

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070-1.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073-1.jpg

Step 11: Slide tranny back and out. Hopefully your tranny jack is on wheels.

DSC_0074.jpg

Step 12: Slide off your stock torque converter. Watch out though, its pretty heavy for its size, and its going to leak fluid everywhere.

DSC_0080.jpg

Step 13: Fill your new torque converter with a few quarts of fluid (I used 2) It goes in very slowly, so its going to take a while. I found that pouring in fluid, then spinning the converter helped the process move along a little quicker.

DSC_0081-1.jpg

Step 14: Slide your new torque converter onto the input shaft. You will need spin the converter while sliding it on to make sure it lines up with and goes onto both sets of splines. Once it is all the way in, it should be about a half of an inch in from the edge of the bell housing. You can measure this with a straight edge across the housing and a ruler.

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0167-1.jpg

Step 15: Repeat all steps in reverse order to reinstall tranny.

Step 16: Fill up transmission with fluid through the dip stick tube.

Also, here is a PDF of a very nice manual for the 545RFE transmission. This will come in very handy if you are going to do anything with the transmission. MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

And if you need further explanation, or more detailed pics of any step, please let me know.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
how long did that take you john ?

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great write up. Thanks.

I'll be doing this with the truck on the ground, but I can sit up undernetah mine so I'm hoping that helps.

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great write up. Thanks.

I'll be doing this with the truck on the ground, but I can sit up undernetah mine so I'm hoping that helps.

wow, you are more brave than me. good luck. maybe you can drive up onto 4 of those little ramp things?

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll be taking the tcase off, that's easy enough. I'll throw a couple ratchet straps around the tranny and jack so it won't fall off.

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be taking the tcase off, that's easy enough. I'll throw a couple ratchet straps around the tranny and jack so it won't fall off.

sounds like a solid plan. just make sure your jack has good enough wheels to roll on with that much weight. you will only need to slide it back a foot or two. you should have plenty of room under there.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
you may also consider building a platform to go between the jack and tranny so the weight is a little more balanced. the trannies are really unstable, especially when the only contact point is the 4x4 plate of the jack.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Hey Guys, this was the DIY I had seen before but didn't want to ask. I plan to install my TC next weekend and although mines a 1500 and got the tranfer case too, I think I am good to go. Just got to double check the exhaust routing as my Y-Pipe does come apart and is clamped where it crosses the tranny area. I haven't pulled off a tranny since 1987 but remember I did it while crawling underneath and using a jack (Ford C6 off a Cleveland) anyways it looks like I got a hoist lined up at the Base Auto Club and a Chevy Big-Block dude named Cpl Mike to help out for extra muscle, if required. Just don't know if they got a stand for the tranny support part. Thanks Oldirty.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Roger That!

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: Just to let you Guys know I put up some Pics in an Album Called Torque Converter Install (13 July 10), You may also have seen em come up on the Random Pics for the Forum.

nzornes44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
just to wake up an old DIY thread from way back, just wanted OP (oldirtyjohn) here to know i used this DIY 3 weeks ago in my auto hobby shop on base on my TC install on a 4wd and pretty spot on brother dropped the front drive shaft with the trans and that was about the only difference. thanks again, who would have known 2 years later you would still be teachin :)

Jersey ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RonJon '06 suggested I take a look at this thread to help in replacing my rear main seal. Now I'm thinking about throwing in a new TC! Great write up, 7 years later and still teaching!