DIY: Tranny Line Pressure Booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a DIY on how to make/wire in a tranny line pressure booster. This is very similar to a power wire, and will increase the line pressure in your tranny giving you slightly firmer shifts. In my case with the Sharadon Stage II tranny/VB, it turned my crazy firm shifts into neck jerking shifts. I like it. I like it a lot. There are a number of different ways you can do this, and there is even a pre-made one sold online ($40+shipping).

Parts used:
5-Pack 2.2k Ohm resistors - $0.99
2x Electrical connectors - $3.98
a foot or so of 16-20awg wire
Heat Shrink tubing - $3.99

IMG_1093.jpg

Tools used:
Wire stripper/crimper
Soldering Iron/solder
Heat gun
Knife

Step One:

Cut two 6" lengths of wire. Strip the ends/tin them. (note, soldering the connections is optional, but highly advised). crimp/solder on the male prongs onto one end of each wire. On the other end of the wires, crimp/solder on the female receptacles and the 2.2k ohm resistor bridging the two wires together. your end result should look like this:

IMG_1095.jpg

Step Two:

Insert female receptacles into female connector.

IMG_1096.jpg

Step Three:

Cut heat shrink tubing to length. Slide over wires and connector. Insert male prongs into male connector.

IMG_1098.jpg

Step Four:

Use heat gun to shrink the tubing. this is what we will be wiring into the line pressure sensor on the tranny.

IMG_1099.jpg

Step Five:

Locate and unplug the line pressure sensor. It is located on the rear passenger side of the tranny.

linepressorsensor2.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

Step Six:

Locate the two wires on the sensor you will be working with. The sensor uses 3 wires, the two that are one on top of the other towards the front of the vehicle are the ones you want. wires 1 and 3 in the following pic.

linepressorsensor.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

Once you have the correct wires, cut them a few inches back from the sensor, and crimp/solder on the male/female prongs.

IMG_1105.jpg

Step Seven:

Slide heat shrink tubing over the wires, and plug them into the male/female connectors. use heat gun to shrink the tubing.

IMG_1107.jpg

thats it! you are all done. now you can plug the resistor connector we made earlier into your new connectors on the sensor. or if you want to take it out, just plug the 2 connectors into each other, and you are back to stock.

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

and here it is, plugged back into the tranny with the resistor in place.

IMG_1110.jpg

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this is an old thread, but lets bring this alive. Its come to my attention that this little mod is pretty beneficial.

This is one of my little projects for tomorrow.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i like the idea, i was always told, its better to have a quick/firm shift instead of the stock smooth shift. heard it a lot easier on the transmission.

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Which transmission is that a 45RFE?

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It works on the 45RFE as well. Not sure if thats whats pictured though.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So is it correct to assume that it would work on the 545RFE as well?
I see online the plug you can purchase for $45 + shipping goes to both trannys. So assuming that the guide is correct this will work for both.

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes it will work on the 545RFE and the 45RFE. pictured is the 545. they are both the same transmissions, just a difference in tuning.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
John, how exactly did you determine was resistance value was needed, slightly curious

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
does this firm up the shifts in every gear? i have an 03 and did the TMR mod but its only good for first-second. would it be good to do this as well?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes.
I did this the other week and like it. Great cheap mod.

badhabit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My First Post!!! Been lurking and started modding my 04 Hemi.. I just went to Radio Shack with the part list and a pic of what i need from this thread. Got the parts and did this mod in 30 min. The shift now is nice and firm. Great cheat mod and amazes me that that little 2.2 OHM resistor does this.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just chiming back in. As expected the shifts smoothed out, they are not as abrupt as they were when I first did this mod. I am very happy with the end result, well worth the time to do this mod.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
Just chiming back in. As expected the shifts smoothed out, they are not as abrupt as they were when I first did this mod. I am very happy with the end result, well worth the time to do this mod.

Why does/did the shifting change characteristics with time? Curious.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
so it still retains some of the higher pressure (once it's learned and smoothed the shifts some) and shift firmness, over the OE configuration of butter-smooth shifting?