Double Din Stereo Conversion Mod (Image Heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyrenSkywolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 - Hedman Shorties - K&N CAI
We wanted to upgrade our stock stereo (with a broken 6-disc) w/Infinity in our '03, and we already had a double din, so I decided to modify to fit. We would have purchased a modified bezel, but we are poor enough as it is, so I decided to do it myself. Cost me about $5 after an Amazon gift card we had (about $30 overall), which included the wiring and antenna adapters.

RadioMod01_zps0afcedb3.jpg
Stock Stereo

RadioMod02_zpsbcccb879.jpg
The necessary wiring test to make sure it all works.
*Note: If you have the Infinity system on '03 or older, you should NOT need a "special" harness. The standard harness wires it right up. '04 and newer you will need it. You do need the antenna adapter, of course, because Dodge is messed up like that.

RadioMod03_zps7ba13bb0.jpg
Arrows denote the areas cut. The plastic braces need to be cut down as well, as shown, to allow the stereo to fit in. Used a Dremel with a cutting disc for the front cut, and slowly cut the rest with a hacksaw blade in hand.

RadioMod04_zpsf2525e57.jpg
There is a spot in each corner up top that needs to be cut as well. They don't quite allow double dins otherwise.

RadioMod05_zpsb8ea32d4.jpg
Test fitting the stereo with my custom brackets.

I forgot to take pictures of the bezel removal from the dash piece. There are several methods. I went with drilling out the plastic rivets. Try to do just enough to break the rivets, because you can use screws and washers to reconnect a lot of them. I drilled a tad too deep on quite a few of them, but was able to connect it using screws/washers on about a 1/3 of them. Liberal amounts of cement on the rest of the areas sufficed.

RadioMod06_zps0d03969b.jpg
Test fitting the bezel for general fit.

I got so into getting it trimmed up, I didn't take pictures. Pretty much trim up and down to fit, then square the corners off. Work up to the cross member at the top of the dash piece that the bezel fits on (look at previous picture above stereo), and then work down to fit. I used a Dremel cutting disc to rough cut, making sure to leave plenty of space for mishaps or melting. I then worked it down using a combination of a Dremel sanding barrel and a Stanley knife.

I then sanded down the surface using a hand block with various grit. I used 80 grit for a start, but most was a 180 grit, with something around 300 for final. Takes a while, but you want it pretty smooth for the vinyl. You don't need completely smooth, but you need to remove at least 1/2 the height of the texture. It gives more area for vinyl grip, and to keep it from showing up on the outside of the vinyl.

RadioMod07_zpsa2038582.jpg
Clamping on a piece of ABS. I cut pieces to fit up to the stereo, then cut pieces for underneath as a brace, and used liberal amounts of cement. They aren't going anywhere. You can see that the other side is on already.

RadioMod08_zps3e8e72fd.jpg
Sanding almost done. Make sure to get it even and flush, or it will show up later! Regardless of my final pictures, mine is not perfect because of this (the lighting in the pictures helped hide it). I will eventually redo the covering on mine. Take a piece of paper and a pencil, hold the paper flat against where you worked, and run the pencil back and forth over your modified area to find bad spots. Fix. Repeat until none show up.

RadioMod09_zps83d36e35.jpg
Vinyl laid onto the bezel. Lots of patience helps here. Most prefer a heat gun, but a hair dryer works just fine for this. Very carefully cut the backing paper in the center from left to right, tearing it if need be. Fold it in half, and start from the center, slowly pressing it onto the bezel towards the bottom, then up to the top, peeling the backing away a bit at a time. If you hit any areas that don't line up well, use heat and stretch (very important at the bottom and top). Using this method will provide you with a smooth finish. When you stretch with heat, hold in place until it cools and maintains the shape. Use plenty of heat and patience to fit around the outside edges. Remember to trim up around areas that will reconnect with the dash piece.

RadioMod10_zps9ee5e970.jpg
Carefully cut out the openings, leaving at least 1/2" overlap. You can trim down from there as needed. You will use a lot of heat and stretching to form around edges here. If you get a couple spots that don't quite want to curve around to the backside, it's ok, because the heater/4wd/stereo will hold them in place and it won't be noticeable. Just keep that in mind when installing it.

RadioMod11_zps82e3f931.jpg
The vinyl all done. When doing the stereo section, cut diagonally almost to the corners, leaving just a little bit to stretch with heat around the corner. The rest will fold around to the backside.

RadioMod12_zps146566d1.jpg
The final product. I also put vinyl on the accent pieces on the sides of the dash piece while I was at it, and I consider it a great improvement over the dull black that they were.

Well, there you have it. I don't recommend doing this unless you trust your modification skills. I used to spend countless hours building model cars, and love woodworking when I can, so I'm used to the sort of thing. If you are in doubt, I recommend purchasing one already modified. Weedahoe does good work (look up the name on Youtube if curious). I would have just gone through him in a heartbeat if I had the money.

The one thing I would like to change, which I may do if I redo the vinyl, is above the stereo. The curve comes out a little too much for me (not shown in the pictures). I am debating doing some hardcore sanding to flatten it out a bit more. I may take a picture of it and post it if anyone wants a visual of what I am talking about.

Questions? Comments? Critiques?

Litenyaup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great I wanted to do that to my 02 but never got to it. I now have an 11 with factory nav

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
very nice mod!! I can tell in a couple pics the vertical line of the added piece of plastic. but once in the truck not as noticeable.

If you do pull it, use some bondo to make it a nice smooth piece, prime and then re vinyl.

Great work and great write up!!

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Awesome write-up!

It looks great!

serialize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
That turned out really nice!
The fit looks perfect and probably better then if you both some of the stuff (they never fit quite right).
I'm buying a used RAM and will probably do something similar and will refer to your thread. Thanks ! :)

EOD_Tex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice write up. I did a changeout and got the bezel replaced once, I like how you adapted yours

MasterMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Metra has made us a dash kit to do double dins without permanently modifying the original trim. Just Amazon a 95-6522b.

natedog74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Metra has made us a dash kit to do double dins without permanently modifying the original trim. Just Amazon a 95-6522b.

I really wish they would do the same for 06-08 :(

joepenguin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the detailed instructions!
I installed a double din in my 03 2500 QC using your pics and the replacement bezel.
Joe

OP
OP
SyrenSkywolf

SyrenSkywolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 - Hedman Shorties - K&N CAI
Been ages, been busy. My apologies for resurrecting.

That aftermarket bezel? 1: It wasn't really around when I did this mod. You usually had to pay for someone to mod your original. 2: Being broke at the time, aside from a $25 Amazon gift card, cost me $17 of that $25, which included the antenna adapter, less than $13 without. The rest was all labor.

@Joe Glad it helped!