Floor shifter in gear chime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Last year I installed a TCI FastGate floor shifter. I like it but I have a concern about not having a shifter lock ie I can leave it in gear and turn off the ignition key and walk away with it still in gear. Meaning it can simply roll away. I'm pretty careful with it, but I can see a day my wife will say "let me borrow your truck"and there lays the problem. So I got to thinking about using the "Key in the ignition chime" to alert the driver that the ignition is off and the shifter is still in gear. Went out this morning and tore it apart and here is what I found. The LightBlue wire going to the ignition switch is the "key in the switch sense" wire coming from the Instruntment Cluster. Simply the key left in the switch grounds the sensor wire. With the ignition turned off the sensor wire becomes active and will sound the chime if grounded. I connect the sensor wire to a micro switch on the shifter to sound the chime if the shifter isn't in PARK when the ign is turned off. Is not a mechanical stop, but I think far better than not having any indicator at all.

img2013041700057.jpg

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems like a good idea. Did you ever think of a mechanical stop of some sort?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Does the shifter bypass the P/N start function when it goes off the colum? I rode real quick with you in it but never got to ask you the list of questions I had running through my head.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Seems like a good idea. Did you ever think of a mechanical stop of some sort?
I did but couldn't come up with a workable solution. My thought was to use the ign key solenoid since the wiring is already there.

whats up greg!? how ya been man?
Doing good, busy

Does the shifter bypass the P/N start function when it goes off the colum? I rode real quick with you in it but never got to ask you the list of questions I had running through my head.

No Ken the P/N are still the only position the engine will start in and the dash gear position indicator still functions. I haven't done much since seeing you last. The 2nd cheapest mod out there for a 03 is the 6.1 SRT IAT sensor, this is the extended one that is placed out in the air stream. $4 from the dealer. Smoothed out my tune some and lowered the arming point for the wtr/****. I got to get busy and install the stage III VB for the 3rd. Almost forgot upped the fuel pressure to 58psi. The old girl likes to show her legs.. Runs smooth with no codes.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Luckily don't have a problem with mine and won't start if not in park or n, but never forgot to ever not shift outta drive when i'm done.....lol, however with my Jeep i sometimes forget to turn it off when i get out as it has the push start thingy.

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont know much about the transmission linkage on our trucks but i thought it was electrical and curious how you guys installed a cable floor shifter...