Hemi Throttle body Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Throttle Body Cleaning
Dodge Ram 5.7 Liter

Difficulty level: Easy - Moderate

Tools Required: (I happen to have an aftermarket CAI. If you have the Stock HEMI breather hat, you will need the necessary tools to remove it as well)
- #2 Flathead Screwdriver
- 1/4" Ratchet
- 1/4" extension
- 8mm socket (1/4)
- 5/16th Socket (1/4) or equivalent Nut-driver
- 3 Cans of Brake Cleaner (DO NOT USE Throttle Body Cleaner!!!!!!!!!!)
- Several Clean Shop Towels (Lint Free)
- 1 Toothbrush or similar sized non-abrasive scrub brush

You’ll be intimately cleaning the throttle body, that on this particular truck is actuated via Electronic Throttle Control (Drive by Wire). EXTREME CARE must be taken to avoid damaging any electronics, sensors, etc. This isn’t meant to scare you, just to warn you. As you will see, this is very easy to do if you are well armed with cleaner and know how to use a screw driver.

Step 1: Determining what you will need to remove the Intake

Take a minute to thoroughly look over your intake system. Make note of all your sensors, Wires, retention brackets, etc, and make certain you have the appropriate tools.

Step 2: Removing the intake from the throttle body
Most of us have aftermarket intakes so it will vary from truck to truck, if you have the OEM Hemi hat then its just a few bolts holding it down. Use common sense and determine what steps will be necessary to remove enough of the air-box system so that you have easy access to the throttle body.

Step 3: Removing the CAI Tube from Throttle Body

BEFORE you go yanking the top of your engine apart. Make note of a couple of connectors you need to remove to avoid damage.

FIRST (in my case) was the easiest. I simply used a flathead screwdriver to "break the seal" of a Vacuum line attached to my CAI and was able to pull it free with very little effort.

Step 3: Removing the CAI Tube from Throttle Body

The next thing to watch out for is the Intake Air Temperature Sensor, Commonly referred to as the IAT. Special care should be taken because this sensor is VERY fragile.

In My case, and in most others, you will probably not have to physically remove this sensor from your CAI Tube / Hemi Hat. You will likely be able to simply unplug it.

If you have ever worked on anything with a motor, you should be able to figure this out. Depress the Locking key and wiggle the IAT Sensor harness plug from the sensor

Step 3: Removing the CAI Tube From Throttle Body

Go ahead and take a second to look closely and make sure everything is disconnected and the entire intake system free.

***NOTE: If you have loosened all the bolts and left them in their proper holes, PLEASE go ahead and take them ALL out before you attempt to pull the intake system off the top of the engine. THE LAST THING you want is to drop a nut or bolt into the throttle body / Intake.

Now, gently remove the remainder of your intake. It would be a good idea to have a partner watching closely as you do this because forgotten items still attached will quickly be noticed by that extra pair of eyes.

Step 4: Removing the Throttle Body

Once the Throttle Body opening is secured, go ahead and look around your work area and secure all loose dangling harness connectors that we have removed to this point. Once we start the next step, you’re going to need all of your hands and those loose dangling wires just get in the way.

If your Throttle Body is a "Drive By Wire system, you will find somewhere, a harness plug that supplies current for the motor and other essential signals passed from the computer tot he T-Body.

On HEMI's, this plug is located on top, in the front of the T-Body.

***NOTE: This connector doesn't work like ones you may be used to. You DO NOT push the tab to remove the plug, you will use a screw driver to pull the tab slightly away from the connector (to the rear of the plug) and this will unlock it, allowing you to remove the T-Body harness plug.

Again, Make sure you tuck the Harness Connector out of the way.

The Next step is to identify the Bolts we need to remove to physically take the throttle body OFF of the intake manifold.

On The HEMI, You will fine VERY easily which they are. There are four 8mm bolts located at each corner of the T-Body and they face forward. You cant miss them. They have been painted GREEN:

Using a 1/4" Ratchet, attach a 6" extension and an 8mm Socket.

Loosen AND REMOVE the bolts one at a time using a criss-cross pattern. Top-Right, Bottom-Left, Top-Left, Bottom-Right.

These Intakes are plastic and you want to keep the torque stress on the intake as even as possible to avoid any possibility of over stressing one particular area, resulting in a possible crack in the intake.

Once you have all four bolts removed, the throttle body will literally fall into your hand:

Step 5: Cleaning the Throttle Body

For this, USE BRAKE CLEANER

Once again, DO NOT USE THROTTLE BODY CLEANER! Not even the MOPAR BRAND. Based on the TSB that I did this after, even THEY say to use BRAKE CLEANER ONLY because it evaporates fast, and wont damage the sensitive sensors and electronics on board the T-Body

Do yourself a HUGE favor and grab 4 cans. I used three completely and a 4th would have been nice.

Also Get a Tooth brush handy because you will need it, I assure you!

Last but most important, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT SAFETY GLASSES

1.Grab the T-Body and hold it with actuator motor UP so the cleaner has less chance of soaking the electronics.

2. Hold the T-Body as far away from your body as possible and start blasting. The majority of the Coking will wash right away.

By now you have seen that Brake cleaner is some SERIOUSLY good stuff The Coking should be stripping off and pouring out of the T-body with every squirt
When you can see that your spraying is no longer doing much Good, Its time to get the brush out...

Spray a little, Brush a little, Spray a little, Brush a little.

I have heard that you DO NOT want to press open the butterfly valve. Personally, I threw caution to the wind and pushed it almost fully open and using spraying and brushing, cleaned it spotless. The Butterfly is spring loaded and will close back just fine. Keep at it until it is clean...

Once your done, allow it to sit and dry. REMEMBER, Keep the Motor Side of the TB facing UP at all time. Better to be safe than sorry.

Step 6: Reassemble in Reverse Order

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
This helped a lot. Kinda got carried away, just wanted to detail the engine bay, then the wheel wells came out, and then the air box, then decided to go ahead and do the throttle body because it was right there. Only took me a part of a can of brake cleaner. Less gunk I guess. But everything else was right on the spot. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Enjoy the better throttle response bud, they get pretty dirty sometimes.

dlog247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i cleaned my throttle body today after i got done my check engine light came on all the cables are hooked back up and i did a leak test and did not see any bubbles . what else should i do? i have a 09 dodge ram hemi all stock. i decide to clean it out because when i drive it sounds bouged down here and there.

OP
OP
K

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
By chance have you pulled the code to see what it is?

dlog247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
p0113 intake air temperature circuit high input. i bought a canobd2 diagnostic and reset it so far the light has went away. the engine sill has bogged down sound but not as much before i cleaned it out o well putting a cold air intake after i get my tax return next year.

OP
OP
K

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Double check the sensor in the intake to make sure its clipped all the way. Your also an 09S so you might not have the same sensor that the older 5.7s have. If you do and removed the whole sensor it could either not be all the way in or possibly broken when pushing back in the grommet.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck's gonna be hitting 50k soon, prolly a good time to do this. This writeup will come in very handy.

Wishmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very helpfull post!!

Once every 3 days the ETC light comes flashing on, so hopefully cleaning the tb will solve this problem!!

Greetz,
Marc

OP
OP
K

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
^Give it a try, if it continues you are gonna need to just get a replacement TB.

04hemi_bRand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New to the forums and new to "do it yourself auto mechanics".

Great write up here as I was having some trouble with rough running and idling as well as a lurching or cutting out feeling while driving at times. Cleaning my TB seems to have helped quite a bit although it seemed worse at first. Found some info on the reset process (disconnect the battery for at least 10 seconds and then turning key to on until the lights on the dash went out on another post) and it seems a lot better but the Hemi just isn't quite right yet. Plugs and wires this weekend!

LCC Chrome Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Newbie here

Greetings Dodge Gods :)

I am wondering if a good cleaning of the Throttle Body would eliminate the problem I am experiencing. The rig starts fine in the morning, or when it's sat awhile in the cold. But when she runs for awhile or its hot I have a hard time starting. It will turn over fine, it just wont catch, until I depress the pedal, maybe even pump it once or twice. Just wondering (I know it couldn't hurt) if a good throttle cleaning is the ticket or does this sound like another problem to any of you guys? I am running a bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner on this tank right now, was thinking injectors, or maybe even fuel pump, but I don't even have 100k yet. Any suggestions would be stellar.

Cheers

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.

Cleaning the throttle body always helps :D

indybp57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram Quad Cab 2WD
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To eliminate the risk of dousing an electronic component with cleaning fluid I would recommend saturating a soft cloth and wiping it out. Its just as effective and uses a lot less cleaner. Wear a set of gloves and safety glasses. A set of cheap hemastats is a good tool to get down in the throat. Most of the buildup will be on the manifold side of the throttle plate.

NHDuckHunter8003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 5.9
Great write up! I just did it on my 04 and I'm assuming the previous owner had never touched it because it was wicked gummed up. The engine light is on now and I've double checked to make sure all the wires are plugged in so I'm going now to get the codes pulled.

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Oh geez..All these lights coming on is scaring me out of doing my TB....lol

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Oh Okay. I thought the same concept applied, guess that just for disassembling? :D So I shouldnt have AS MANY worries? What Electronics are in ours, I still want to be weary and not damage anything. And isnt the IAT sensor built into out TB? Correct me if I am wrong please :)

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh Okay. I thought the same concept applied, guess that just for disassembling? :D So I shouldnt have AS MANY worries? What Electronics are in ours, I still want to be weary and not damage anything. And isnt the IAT sensor built into out TB? Correct me if I am wrong please :)

There are no electronics built into the 02-07 4.7 engines, they are all servicable parts that can simply be unbolted and removed prior to cleaning. They include the throttle position sensor and idle air control valve. When you go to clean yours, simply take them off the throttle body.

indybp57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram Quad Cab 2WD
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh geez..All these lights coming on is scaring me out of doing my TB....lol

Saturate a rag with cleaner and use a little elbow grease instead of blasting the crap out of the TB and everything will be fine. Wear some latex gloves and safety glasses because the cleaner really burns.