Leveling 02-05 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
You can level your 02-05 ram 4x4 1 of two ways.
1st is just cranking your keys
2nd is to buy indexed keys and swap them

No matter which way you do it measure all corners and write it down before you start. Main thing to also remember is these torsion bars have ALOT of pressure on them and you need to respect them.

Doing it the first way it to just crank the keys like this.

1. Place the vehicle on a level concrete or asphalt surface.

2. Put the transmission in Park or 1st gear (manual transmissions) & chock the rear tires.

3. Raise the front of the vehicle using a jack. Raise it enough to completely unload the front suspension. Place a jack stand under each frame rail just behind the lower control arms for the front suspension. Ease the frame down on to the stands, but leave a slight load on the jack as a
safety precaution.

4. Verify the front tires are off the ground & that the suspension is unloaded, or at full extension of travel.

5. Locate the torsion bar crossmember. There is a bolt on each side of the crossmember that adjusts the torsion bar preload. Spray with lube.

6.Mark a socket with a straight line going vertical and slide it onto the bolt. Turn it normaly a half a turn for a 1/4 of an inch. Do both sides the same

7. Lower the vehicle to the floor, manually bounce the front of the vehicle several times enough to settle the suspension. I drove to foward and reverse getting hard on the brakes to bounce it.

8. Measure the ride height on each side. Adjust bolts as needed till leveled and sitting correct side to side and front to back.

Doing it the second way which is putting index keys in them do this.
(Company should also supply directions, key is to use the correct clamp due to the pressure)

1. Place the vehicle on a level concrete or asphalt surface.

2. Put the transmission in Park or 1st gear (manual transmissions) & chock the rear tires.

3. Raise the front of the vehicle using a jack. Raise it enough to completely unload the front suspension. Place a jack stand under each frame rail just behind the lower control arms for the front suspension. Ease the frame down on to the stands, but leave a slight load on the jack as a
safety precaution.

4. Verify the front tires are off the ground & that the suspension is unloaded, or at full extension of travel.

5. Locate the torsion bar crossmember. There is a bolt on each side of the crossmember that adjusts the torsion bar preload. Measure or mark the exposed length of the adjuster bolt for reference during re-assembly.

6. Position the appropriate torsion bar puller tool on the crossmember. Be sure the top of the puller tool engages the recess present in most crossmembers. Also be sure the lower end of the puller
tool engages a recess on the torsion key near the adjuster bolt.

7. Using extreme caution, tighten the puller tool enough to take the load off the adjuster bolt. Remove the adjuster bolt & nut block, then unload the puller tool.

8. Note the orientation of the torsion bar key in relation to the end of the torsion bar. Slide the torsion bar forward, out of the torsion bar crossmember, & set the factory torsion bar key aside. It ts not necessary to remove the torsion bars from the vehicle. Note: The torsion key should
slide easily off the end of the torsion bar. However, depending on the age & use of the vehicle, rust & road debris may prevent easy removal. The installer can use a variety of methods to separate the torsion key if it is “stuck”, but using heat is not recommended.

9. Place the new torsion key in the torsion bar crossmember, matching the same orientation as the original key. Slide the torsion bar back through the crossmember & into the torsion key.

10. Using the same precautions & procedures that were used during removal, load the torsion bar enough to install the nut block using the appropriate puller tool. Place the nut block back in the crossmember & start the adjuster bolt. Tighten the adjuster bolt to the same exposed length
noted during disassembly. Unload the removal tool.

11. Lower the vehicle to the floor, manually bounce the front of the vehicle several times enough to
settle the suspension.

12. Measure the ride height on each side. To raise the height, tighten the torsion bar adjuster bolt (with vehicle off the ground), to lower ride height, lessen the adjuster bolt.

Last step of both ways is to get the front end aligned back up due to the camber will be way off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Any questions feel free to ask I have done it both ways

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good write up. I just cranked my bars...been that way for two years and no issues.

OP
OP
K

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The wifes 05 has been cranked for 2 years I had keys on mine (04) for a year. I think keys felt tighter to me and needed shocks where hers didnt.

ol'red02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So are you saying that by just cranking the bars you could get away with just an alignment and no new shocks? Or is it a must on the shocks?

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Good right up...

I'm going to throw a help full hint out there. My torsion bar was stuck were it connects with the lower control arm (its an 03, been there for awhile) and I couldnt move the torsion bar enough to remove the old keys.

What I did to get the torsion bar lose was pull down on the torsion bar(down as in towards the ground), then beat on the end were the torsion key goes(kinda like hammering a nail). The sucker came lose with a couple hits.

Not trying to steel your thunder, I just know I had a problem with this

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So are you saying that by just cranking the bars you could get away with just an alignment and no new shocks? Or is it a must on the shocks?

Depends on how far you crank it...if you go 2" - 2.5" I recomend getting new shocks. Or you can get the shock extenders

ol'red02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
great thanks, by the way great looking truck. I got an 02 same color as yours and looking to do that same black and red theme

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Have had keys on for 2 years but eventually want to get around to some 0-4 inch Lift Rancho's to pair up with whats on the back. Good write up wrt adjustements Kenneth.

OP
OP
K

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yep Braydon is right you can get away with stock shocks, I will add in the alignment part, thank you for the reminder on that guys.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
nice write up.

ruff84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can you rent a torsion bar puller at the autoparts store.

Thinking about doing my lowering kit tomorrow and the only thing i am worried about are those damn keys.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't remember for certain, but I think you can...I just cranked my bars so I didn't have to worry about getting the old ones out.

OP
OP
K

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Andy soak the keys. The stock keys came off mine pretty easy, the index ones took alill more loving to get on and off.

ruff84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Going to soak them tonight, hopefully get the drop kit installed tomorrow and then track on Saturday.

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
so you have to have the truck aligned after doing this correct?

also does anyone have pictures of where the bolts are on the torsion bars?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Find the keys and you will see 2 x Bolts (1 each side) that threads into a small half circle camber type piece that touches upwards into the curve built into the inboard part of the key.

I found that the Drivers side Bolt needed to be turned in (Up) more than the Passenger side and took quite a few adjustments till I got all 4 corners just right.

As For Tools I bought an OTC Ball Joint service Kit that works awesome for this job and for doing Lower Ball Joints as well. The adapter Piece needed for the clamp was provided in the Ready-Lift Key set along with 2 cool stickers. I found the ride to be better afterwards and especially when matched up with rear HD 4/1 Ride springs.

Once again, Nice write-up. You can get away without an alignement if everything is serviceable as my tire wear stayed normal but 100% agree that it should be done, just waiting to change my front shocks soon and will be putting some different alloys on Saturday. .............................Sorry Babbling on here. Rake is Guay unless you need it to tow. Leveling a Truck is Like a Proud Soldier Marching with his head held high and not staring at his feet as he walks.