Light Rust fix DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boatsandhoes1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well i decided to tackle some of the small rust issues that my truck had over the past few days in the tailgate area. The supplies i used are listed below:
-Sharp flat screwdriver
-wire brush cup on grinder
-blue masking tape
-old newspaper (for masking, not reading)
-150 grit sand paper
-400 grit sand paper
-Duplicolor Primer-filler (grey)
-Duplicolor color match Chrysler flame red
-Rustoleum Clear coat (stated it was good for metal or wood and a superb sealant, since the rust was somewhat out of sight i didn't worry about miscolor issues)
After wire wheeling:
w2kn4i.jpg
2ujhuv8.jpg
After sanding, cleaning, and priming:
o8rskn.jpg
24lucti.jpg
After first coat of Duplicolor color match "flame red"
2lksnww.jpg
The paint cap... For some reason i thought a pic was necessary lol
w05pix.jpg
More coats..
qoakcm.jpg
n356vp.jpg
Partially wire wheeled rust on back panel of truck box (not sure if it has a name):
2dw7zuc.jpg
25t82on.jpg
10s69p5.jpg
A little sanding and a few coats of primer...
29e3m7b.jpg
Painted "flame red" and eventually clear coated...
i5cbv8.jpg
Also clear coated the tailgate lip and removed the tape:
1539ssz.jpg
I am really happy with the duplicolor paint and primer. This is my first real post on the forum so i hope all of the pictures show up!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Looks great!
I've had pretty goo luck with duplicolor products as well such as the perfect match paint

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That looks really good! I have the same issue on the lip of my gate also and need to do this.... welcome!

OP
OP
boatsandhoes1

boatsandhoes1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies everyone! Yeah it really happy with how it turned out. This was my first time using filler primer and i really like it. Wish Wisconsin didn't use salt! :flipthebird:

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at fixing some rust at the bottom of my driver door, going to do same method as you. Should I take a wire wheel brush attachment to the drill and go to town on the rust to get it all off?

What did you clean the door with first before primer? Also did you sand between coats? Thankfully this rust is at bottom of door where its not seen so it doesn't need to be a 100% professional but I want it to still look good!