Looking for some help (lighting)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
Request #1
My truck does not seem to have any lights at all for the floor. I would like to install some really nice LED's that will illuminate when the doors are opened, but I have no clue how to wire them, so I am asking for help. I know that some of you guys are really good with things like this.

Request #2
I would also like to install some lights in the bed that will either come on when I turn on the rear cargo light or by flicking a switch. I read that I can wire them into the trailer wiring and add a switch. I know that LED's don't draw much power so would it actually be ok to wire them? and if so how do I fuse them.

I would VERY much appreciate any tips, detailed how to, or pictures showing me how to update my old truck.

Thanks in advance!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the footwell lighting you could just tap into the dome light circuit. Depending on how many/what type of lights you are adding in the bed, you may need to use a relay. But personally I would just tie it into the cargo light. If you use a relay for this, use the cargo light circuit to trigger the relay and fuse it as close to the power source as possible.

I'm not sure of the easiest locations to tap into these wires, dome light would be in the headlight switch but as for the cargo light, it'll also be in that headlight switch assembly but there is probably a closer location to the bed that you can get it from.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Already done this... unfortunately I don't have my truck till next week so I can't get you pics, but I can get you a parts list and where to mount and find wire to tap. It's fairly simple, but I have a decent amount of OCD when I do wiring so it has to be just right for me.

Sent From 1 of Many Samsung Devices

OP
OP
Egress

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
For the footwell lighting you could just tap into the dome light circuit. Depending on how many/what type of lights you are adding in the bed, you may need to use a relay. But personally I would just tie it into the cargo light. If you use a relay for this, use the cargo light circuit to trigger the relay and fuse it as close to the power source as possible.

I'm not sure of the easiest locations to tap into these wires, dome light would be in the headlight switch but as for the cargo light, it'll also be in that headlight switch assembly but there is probably a closer location to the bed that you can get it from.

Thanks Justin, i'll look into tapping into the dome light, I should be able to remove the rubber from the top of the door jam enough to allow me to run a wire above the headliner down to the floor. Thank you for the idea.

Already done this... unfortunately I don't have my truck till next week so I can't get you pics, but I can get you a parts list and where to mount and find wire to tap. It's fairly simple, but I have a decent amount of OCD when I do wiring so it has to be just right for me.

Silver, that would be awesome! no rush, but I would really appreciate whatever you can send my way.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Thanks Justin, i'll look into tapping into the dome light, I should be able to remove the rubber from the top of the door jam enough to allow me to run a wire above the headliner down to the floor. Thank you for the idea.

Silver, that would be awesome! no rush, but I would really appreciate whatever you can send my way.
I'll get everything together

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would like to know also!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Here's waterproof LED strip roll for the bed lights, I haven't run mine yet, but I'll put them under the rail down each side.
http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-TM...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

You need to get this tape as well because the adhesive on the back of the strip LED's aren't that great. Make sure you clean and prep good before you stick em' so they stay.
http://www.amazon.com/Scor-Tape-1-2...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Here's the foot-well light's that (Razrman328) and I put in our trucks.
http://www.amazon.com/KAWELL-Univer...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

You can get this wiring to power the bed and foot-well lighting.
http://www.amazon.com/WYZM-20awg-Ex...mr3&keywords=2+wire+braided+positive+negative

I solder all my joints so I won't include crimps, but if you don't have that great of soldering skills then waterproof butt connectors can be used. I'll have to get pics of the wire to tap, but I have to get my truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Egress

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
Thanks Silver, I have ordered all the items, I really appreciate the help

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Thanks Silver, I have ordered all the items, I really appreciate the help

No problem - the wire you're looking to tap into is )yellow w/ blue stripe). You might be able to get to it in the main harness plug on the driver floorboard up at the top left, but if you can't find it or it's to hard to access you can tap it on the A-pillar like I did.

Hot Ducer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I want to write the foot well lights to run any time the truck is running, could I just wire some of these LEDs to the light switch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
So I want to write the foot well lights to run any time the truck is running, could I just wire some of these LEDs to the light switch?

It'll only work off the hot feeding the switch if you want them do run like that. However, I've been doing some research into the empty sockets one finds within the wiring. SEE THIS POST about a potential source. The wires to the small pins seem to all be hot when the ignition is switched. So if you want footwell lights all the time, that may work for your purposes. From what I gather, some of those small pins would power lighted vanity mirrors. I think you have an SLT from what I saw in a previous thread, so some might be in use. With just a couple of LEDs, I doubt it would demand too much from the circuit.

Hot Ducer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great, thanks.