Loooking for a Tail Tint DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Has anyone done a video of a tail tint using the VHT stuff or actual tint film? I want them to be darker but not blacked out and have a mirror finish.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have not done a vid but have done them on mine 1 remove tail light and clean then wet sand with 1000-2000 apply the coats of vht heres were it gets tricky i applied 3 light coats if you want them dark apply 4-5 coats. Wet sand again then (heres where you get the mirrored finish) compound them and put some balls behind rub them hard. Opps wait like 10-15 mins between coats of vht then after last coat before you wet sand let dry for about 4-8 hours once you apply about 4-6 coats of clear let that dry 4 hours before wet sanding do this and they will come out like glass.

DSC01356.jpg

DSC01355.jpg

No orange peel no runs look like black factory tail lights and after i wax them you can see your reflection in them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
How bright are the lights when you hit the brakes? That looks a little darker than I would like to go. I think I would want a shade lighter or would want to add some LEDs to make them brighter.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
When you hit the lights day or night its like the black is not there ill get some shots of it tomorrow

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw a vid somewhere, but honestly can remember if it was on here or one of the "others" that broke it down step by step

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found this one, go to youtube and search how to tint dodge ram tail lights. There is another one but it sounds like the dudes on speed because he well..... sped it up for time

[Yt]HFkh1y_aniE[/yt]

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Gee kinda what i said to do lol let them dry longer then an hour BELIVE ME let them dry longer

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
When you hit the lights day or night its like the black is not there ill get some shots of it tomorrow

Definitely curious how they look lit up like you have them, they look real nice but I dont want them to the point that you cant see them during the day. Driving behind someone the other day and they had thiers blacked out to the point that when they stepped on the brake you could barely see a red dot and I absolutely hated driving behind the guy. So if I do this, I want the lights to be able to be seen day or night.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Gee kinda what i said to do lol let them dry longer then an hour BELIVE ME let them dry longer

Definitely, believe him!! I only let mine sit for an hour before moving on...mine turned out more of a flat look..which is fine for my truck, but if you want them to shine let them sit longer and use more compound.

I also used 5 coats on mine..........yeah don't go that dark.

This is the video I followed - all came out well except for mine didn't come out very glossy. Let it dry longer and you should get the look you want.

HOW TO TINT YOUR TAIL LIGHTS WITH VHT NITESHADES (VIDEO 1 OF 2) - YouTube

HOW TO TINT YOUR TAIL LIGHTS WITH VHT NITESHADES (VIDEO 2 OF 2) - YouTube

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Definitely, believe him!! I only let mine sit for an hour before moving on...mine turned out more of a flat look..which is fine for my truck, but if you want them to shine let them sit longer and use more compound.

I also used 5 coats on mine..........yeah don't go that dark.

This is the video I followed - all came out well except for mine didn't come out very glossy. Let it dry longer and you should get the look you want.

HOW TO TINT YOUR TAIL LIGHTS WITH VHT NITESHADES (VIDEO 1 OF 2) - YouTube

HOW TO TINT YOUR TAIL LIGHTS WITH VHT NITESHADES (VIDEO 2 OF 2) - YouTube

LOL mine are by no means dark must be the angle when i hit the breaks its like they are normal did the tails the 3rd brake and the puddle lights.

Ya thats the vid i used i remember the rubbing it like its fri night part

Last edited:

NJDodger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Be sure to test and get a feel for the flow of VHT before you hit the lights. Surface prep is very important. The initial light sanding will make sure it doesnt bead up when you spray it. Dont rush it. Do several light coats. Make sure you apply it evenly. Any heavy spots WILL show up when the lights are on. It is very easy.

Sent from V-Tac Inc. Mobile Command Post.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
See its the angle so even when you go light they look dark at certain angles
100_7483.jpg

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes take your time and any f ups can be wet sanded out ill get some of it with the break lights on since my wonderful g/f took my truck to work today (sure its all washed and waxed )

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
After seeing yours Walt it makes me want to redo mine. Mine really came out darker than I wanted.

Ryan best advice is watch that video those videos a couple times to get the main idea. When we say light coats, we really mean it. I only sprayed in one direction and made one sweep for each coat, starting with the sides and working my way across the lens.

NJDodger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
After seeing yours Walt it makes me want to redo mine. Mine really came out darker than I wanted.

Ryan best advice is watch that video those videos a couple times to get the main idea. When we say light coats, we really mean it. I only sprayed in one direction and made one sweep for each coat, starting with the sides and working my way across the lens.

Definitely pay attention to the spray overlap and the contours of the light. Although it is easy to do yourself it's not as easy as a solid color since you need very consistant coverage. Mine arent too dark and it took 3 or 4 coats to get there. And then 3 more coats of clear.

Sent from V-Tac Inc. Mobile Command Post.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ya when i did my puddle lights i wanted them black to match the truck i did 5 coats and you can't see crap through them but wth do i need little stupid light on my mirrors anyway lol .