MSD Coil replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snakepitt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone replaced the stock coil on plug units with the MSD or similar aftermarket coil on plug? The MSD Street Force units are reported to put out up to or over 48,000 volts, much higher than the stock OEM units. Since I am doing a spark plug change shortly (121000 miles and I will be the first to ever change these plugs) I figured that the extra spark energy will also provide additional power and efficiency.
Thoughts?????

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly I doubt you'll see any performance increase with them. I definitely don't believe it will justify the cost. Those are mainly a final touch to a heavily modified engine. They'll probably show no or next to no gains on a stock or lightly modded engine.

But yes you definitely need to get new plugs in there. At your mileage, you should be on your 5th set by now. There probably isn't much left to the ones in there now.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The MSD coils don't perform any better than stock coils. We've taken stock coils up to 1400rwhp in the cars and they're the exact same coil used in the truck, they provide more than enough voltage to run these engines even with forced induction. The only reason to run a higher voltage coil on these engines is so you can increase your plug gap on colder plugs for big shots of nitrous or to prevent blow out under boost. Right now the only plugs I would even try are the Sultans of Spark plugs, all other aftermarket plugs put out more voltage but start failing a LOT sooner which is fine if it's a race only engine, but not good for a daily driver.