Parts recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EDJFA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2002 quad cab 2WD that needs an inspection. It's completely stock for now. But, it needs some new parts to pass.

Mechanic gave me a list with parts/labor costs:

Belt - $81 parts $50 labor
Lower Ball Joint both sides - $128 per side parts $393 labor
Outer Tie Rod Ends - $76 per side parts $$119 labor
Alignment - $90

$506 in parts and $650+ for labor.

I've been on Rock Auto to look up parts prices and they're way lower than what I'm being quoted. My mechanic gets his parts from NAPA and even on their site I can't seem to make the numbers add up. So, I think I'd be getting screwed on the parts.

My thought is to order the parts and either do the jobs myself or have them install them.

So, is there a preference here on brands? Is Moog better than Mevotech? Those two seem to be the ones I see mentioned.

Seems to me I can buy the best parts, the right tools, and maybe some extra stuff for my garage if I choose to tackle this myself and still save myself some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
IDK about Mevotech other than it seems like it's a boutique brand. Moog is fine.

Sheesh; they want to charge $50 for the serpentine belt? All it takes is a 3/8" ratchet to take tension off the idler and probably five minutes removal/install on top of ~$50.00 Gates belt. The place I use charges $50.00 for an alignment.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MOOG....when I did both my upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends I went with MOOG. They come with fittings so you can self grease every oil change. I did try Mevotech for there sway bar links because I heard they were good too, but after several times of receiving a part bent I gave up. Now that could of been just one mess up I ironically kept getting but that crap strays me away lol.

I love rockauto, but if you were looking for it fast to receive meaning that day cross reference if advance auto is same in price. Sometimes rockauto is cheaper, but if you can't wait a couple days then advance is good. Plus with advance you can do it online, Google coupon code for 20% off and select pick up option at your local store, and as soon as you submit and pay just drive up and get it lol.

Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would stick to Moog if possible.

For the belt I would say DIY, the ball joints will depend on what tools you have available. I have a ball joint press so have no problem with doing that myself. Tie rods are also something that you can do with minimal tools.

Unless you are willing to buy an alignment rack, I would say bring it to a shop that knows what they are doing. This really affects how your truck handles.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Beware that some shop will not install parts you provide. Make sure you ask your mechanic about ordering your own for him to install.

The belt I would definitely change myself, it is almost no more complicated than changing a light bulb.

The alignment price seems a bit on the high side, but he may be sub-contracting to another shop if he doesn't have a alignment rig adding the time to and from the alignment shop + adding his cut on top.

As for the other parts, he is on the pricey side. If your intent is to keep the vehicle for a little while, definitely use MOOG, especially on the Lower Ball Joints as they are a problem part on many pickup and MOOG as a proven track record of better reliability. If your intent is to pass inspection and short-mid term let go of the truck, then pay the least you can to pass inspection as you would not be the one benefiting from the additional cost/longevity of the parts.

Also if your mechanic won't install parts you order yourself, maybe another mechanic would be willing to do so, and potentially at a cheaper price. I believe it is worth shopping around for both parts and service.

Hope this helps