Permanently Close you recirc door FOREVER!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Motomech

Motomech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hear ya. I don't smoke and I have lots of dirt roads around here and it brings in the dust big time I wish we had a filtration system for our cabs.

I wonder if there is a way to block off the "Air intake" from the outside?????
Then just reach in and take the door out completely?

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have an honest question I have always wondered. Why the hell would you smoke in a $40000 plus vehicle I am just curious because I know when I buy used I would not buy a vehicle that had ever been smoked in since I am very allergic and basically have insane senses. I can smell someone smoking on the freeway haha. I always wonder why people do this so I just want to hear answers maybe should be in its own thread.

$miley

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're careful when smoking in a vehicle, like I am, you won't know. No recirculating air, one window slightly cracked. The air and smoke only has one place to go...out the window closest to me.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear ya. I don't smoke and I have lots of dirt roads around here and it brings in the dust big time I wish we had a filtration system for our cabs.

I wonder if there is a way to block off the "Air intake" from the outside?????
Then just reach in and take the door out completely?

Genos Garage offers a cabin filter type deal that attaches to the cowl of our trucks...

'03-'09 Dodge Ram Interior Air Filter Kit-Geno's Garage

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
If you're careful when smoking in a vehicle, like I am, you won't know. No recirculating air, one window slightly cracked. The air and smoke only has one place to go...out the window closest to me.

so you're telling me that if I were to smell your truck I wouldn't smell cigarettes? I'm going to call BS on that.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I smoke in my $400k house so why not in a $40k truck? Why not smoke in your truck if you want to?

You can do what ever you want I am just asking why you would it completely destroys it. I would never buy your house or your truck after it was smoked in and I am sure there are many others who are the same. It was a fair question as I have always wondered why a person would want to wreck something they worked hard to get. Sorry if I offended someone by asking.

$miley

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I won't say that you, as a nonsmoker wouldn't be able to tell. But my truck doesn't reek of it like people who leave the recirculate on and/or the windows closed.

OP
OP
Motomech

Motomech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sorry to disagree, but I can always tell.

One of my first jobs 30 years ago was working for Enterprise RAC and one of the nasty colateral duties was trying to get the stink back out of abused rentals.

I know all the commercial agents used to hide it and I can always smell a smoker's car on a used car lot.

No matter how careful you think you are, the damage done to your sense of smell and taste by smoking them cowboy killers means you probably can't smell the consequences, but the rest of us usually can--especially those of us who really hate the smell of tobacco smoke.

It's your truck to do with as you choose, but don't kid yourself that the smell isn't there.

I'm with Smiley, I hate following a smoker with their window open when I'm driving behind them because I can smell it and don't want it sucked into my ventilation--I'd rather follow a diesel with fouled injectors than the Marlborough Man.

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I smoke in my $400k house so why not in a $40k truck? Why not smoke in your truck if you want to?
it is your choice to do so, because it is still a reasonably free country.

Its also a lot of gallons of KILZ to hide that nicotine stain when you go to sell and want to get all $400K back out of that home.

Flashback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to disagree, but I can always tell.

One of my first jobs 30 years ago was working for Enterprise RAC and one of the nasty colateral duties was trying to get the stink back out of abused rentals.

I know all the commercial agents used to hide it and I can always smell a smoker's car on a used car lot.

No matter how careful you think you are, the damage done to your sense of smell and taste by smoking them cowboy killers means you probably can't smell the consequences, but the rest of us usually can--especially those of us who really hate the smell of tobacco smoke.

It's your truck to do with as you choose, but don't kid yourself that the smell isn't there.

I'm with Smiley, I hate following a smoker with their window open when I'm driving behind them because I can smell it and don't want it sucked into my ventilation--I'd rather follow a diesel with fouled injectors than the Marlborough Man.

I tested your theory on rental cars and always being able to tell the smokers cars. I rent cars regularly for business. Always through the same company. They tried to charge me once for smoking in the car. I hadn't. They said that they saw me smoking but not in the car and that they assumed I had smoked in it. I hadn't. Next time through the same office I purposely didn't smoke in it, sprayed some junk air freshener in it, turned it in. They tried to charge me for smoking in the car. Their reasoning was I had sprayed air freshener to hide smoking in the car and they smelled the air freshener. I hadn't smoked in the car. The next time I turned in a car at that office I purposely got out of the car, lit up a cigarette and blew all my smoke towards the open window. As the manager came up to check it in I told him to go ahead and try charging me for smoking in the car again. He didn't. I now get a deeper discount out of that office and I smoke in every damn car I rent from there. If you think you can prove that I smoke in any rental car I drive your welcome to try but it is a bet I'll take.

Oh and they switched me to trucks or jeeps, had a 2012 Ram last time. Brought one of their cars back, it only had 56 miles total on it, covered in mud.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Smoking in someone else's car is just wrong that is my opinion though.

I could smell if anyone smoked in my vehicles I can smell it no matter what. Do what you want in your own ride I was just curious why people do it that's all.

$miley

Flashback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, would never smoke in someone else's car. However, rentals aren't someone else's car.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That is like stealing from a corporation and saying it is no big deal since they are so big and "not people."

If you owned the rental car company I bet you would feel different.

$miley

OP
OP
Motomech

Motomech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sooooooo anybody have any pictures or "How to" on how to get to the intake under the cowl? I think it may be better than taking apart the whole dash.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I tested your theory on rental cars and always being able to tell the smokers cars. I rent cars regularly for business. Always through the same company. They tried to charge me once for smoking in the car. I hadn't. They said that they saw me smoking but not in the car and that they assumed I had smoked in it. I hadn't. Next time through the same office I purposely didn't smoke in it, sprayed some junk air freshener in it, turned it in. They tried to charge me for smoking in the car. Their reasoning was I had sprayed air freshener to hide smoking in the car and they smelled the air freshener. I hadn't smoked in the car. The next time I turned in a car at that office I purposely got out of the car, lit up a cigarette and blew all my smoke towards the open window. As the manager came up to check it in I told him to go ahead and try charging me for smoking in the car again. He didn't. I now get a deeper discount out of that office and I smoke in every damn car I rent from there. If you think you can prove that I smoke in any rental car I drive your welcome to try but it is a bet I'll take.

Oh and they switched me to trucks or jeeps, had a 2012 Ram last time. Brought one of their cars back, it only had 56 miles total on it, covered in mud.

I didn't say I could PROVE it; I said I could always tell a smoker's car on a used car lot.