Plasti-Dipping DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I pulled this from another forum I belong to (It is my write up not and does not belong to someone else) in hopes of helping others on here. Bit of a guide on how to do the job yourself. Please note the videos do not belong to me personally they are on youtube and are meant to be a visual to go along with the guide. Also note this write-up can be applied very much the same to plasti-dipping other components on your vehicle such as your grille, bumpers, or antenna.

First I'll start off with a how to on Plasti-Dipping the stock aluminum wheels.

Supplies Needed:

Plasti-Dip.jpg

2 Spray Cans Plasti-Dip (Black) (Find at Home Depot, Menards, Ace Hardware, CarQuest)

eagle1.jpg

1 Bottle Eagle 1 Aluminum Wheel Cleaner (Any automotive store, found mine at CarQuest)

1 Microfiber Towel or Soft Rag

1 Roll of Masking Tape

Tools Needed:

1. Tire Iron
2. Jack

Time Required: Approximately 45 Minutes to 1 Hour Per Wheel

Alright so once you've got all of your stuff together get ready to get to work. It obviously doesn't matter what order you go in. If you have a big enough jack you can jack up one side of your vehicle and do two wheels at a time to save a ton of time. I just used the scissor jack that came with my truck so it was a bit more tedious doing one wheel at a time.

First you should remove whichever wheel you are planning on doing first. Once you have the wheel completely off it's time to lay it down and to clean the wheel to make it free of any dust, dirt, grime, or debris. This is where the wheel cleaner and rag or towel comes in. Spray the wheel down thoroughly and use the rag to wipe the wheel completely clean of any kind of grime. Once the wheel is completely clean and dry you can move on the masking off the back of the wheel.

Use your masking tape to mask off anything you don't want to plasti-dip. the holes in the wheels, the center cap, etc... Once you have this all done you are ready to get to spraying. Get your can of Plasti-Dip and shake it for a good minute to a minute and a half. Once it's ready you are ready to begin spraying. Remember Plasti-Dip is forgiving so if you make a mistake you can let it dry, peel it off, and respray but it doesn't run very much if at all so you shouldn't really have any mistakes.

Begin spraying with the nozzle about 4" from the surface of the wheel. Make sure you are applying an even coat. Don't stay in one area for too long. With the first coat just make sure you are coating the entire wheel pretty evenly using a nice side to side motion. Once you've applied one even coat, step away and let the plasti-dip dry for approximately 10-15 minutes. Once the time has elapsed you may apply a second coat in the same manner as the first. Make sure you are covering the harder to reach spots and applying a good even coat. Again don't stay in one area for too long, use a nice side to side or back and forth motion when coating the wheel.

Let the second coat dry and then apply your third coat in the same fashion. You may do a fourth if you feel it necessary but I did three on mine. Let the last coat dry for approximately 20 minutes or so. Check the wheel to make sure it is dry. If it looks wet then let the wheel dry longer as needed. Once it looks completely dry and satisfactorily coated then place the wheel back onto the vehicle.

This process is the same for all wheels. So I won't go into any more detail. Don't be worried about overspray on your tires you can peel it off or rub it off with a rag, and a little bit of elbow grease. Likely it will come off on it's own as tires expand and contract with different temperatures. If you made a mistake you can simply peel the Plasti-Dip off by working at the edge of it with your fingernails. For good measure don't wash your vehicle for 24 to 48 hours after doing this. Give the plasti-dip time to completely dry and if possible leave your vehicle in the sunlight.

For reference a couple of youtube videos. One showing how to apply and one showing how to remove plasti-dip.

How to Plasti Dip your Rims! - YouTube

Plasti Dip Removal - YouTube

PLASTI-DIPPING/PAINTING THE GRILLE EMBLEM

Supplies Needed:

1 Can Plasti-Dip Spray Black (Or use leftovers from doing wheels)
1 Can Spray Paint of Your Choice

Time Required: Approximately 1 Hour or Longer

Alright this is another relatively simple job that can make your truck stand out a little bit. The Grille emblem is very easy to remove. Simply pop your hood and you can reach down and get at it through the space where the hood latches. There are about 4-5 tabs that you just need to unlatch so the emblem can come out.

The emblem itself is two pieces. The black background is one piece and the Ram's head and border are one piece. There are two little tabs on the inside of the black background piece that hold it together with the Ram head. It takes a little work to get it apart and be careful not to be too rough and break the tabs. The black piece has obviously lines where it folds towards the center so use your thumbs to push the piece out carefully from the front part of the emblem.

Once you have the two pieces separated you are ready to prep them. Make sure you clean both pieces throughly. I used some dish soap and water.

You do not need to sand for Plasti Dip. Simply put the Ram's head piece down on some old newspapers and coat it in the same fashion you did the wheels. Do a few layers allowing drying time between each layer. Make sure not to be overly ambitious and overcoat it. Make sure it is completely dry before handling the piece. If you need to move it while it's still kind of wet pick up from underneath the edges.

If you are painting the background section you have a couple of options. If you are planning on painting it to match your truck you will likely need to lightly sand the plastic surface so your paint can adhere to it. If you are going to paint it another color Krylon makes a gloss plastic paint that does not require sanding.

keyboard_krylon.jpg

The Krylon Paint can be purchased from Wal-Mart. The actually name is Krylon Fusion. It is a gloss paint that is meant to be adhered to plastic surfaces and requires no sanding.

dupli.jpg

If you would like to match the color of your truck try Duplicolor Perfect Match for your background. You will need to sand with regular paint.

Spray the background the same way you did the Ram's head. Allow time for the paint to properly dry and when everything is dry put the pieces back together and reinstall you're newly painted emblem back into your grille.

The Pros of Plasti Dip:
Can be taken through the car wash.
Protects the wheels form road grime, and salt during the winter.
Nice matte black finish.
Very forgiving.
Easy to Remove.
Cheap.

The Cons:
Can get chipped by rocks.

Other Products:

Plasti-Dip Enhancers:

Plasti-Dip also makes Enhancers. These are spray on applications that can add a metallic flake like finish to your plasti-dip application. They also make a product called "Glossifier" that can be used to add a gloss finish to your application. They are a matter of preference. I have been unable to find these products at any local store. I highly recommend ordering them from www.dipyourcar.com. You can get anything you need from them.

I've actually had about 4 people ask me if I powder coated my wheels. Seems not very many people where I am locally have heard of Plasti-Dip and it can't be too shabby if it's being mistaken for a good powder coating job.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Looks good

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I'm wanting to use plasti kote spray for badges, emblems and front billet grille. Does this stuff stay on any better? Don't want it scratching or coming off as easily as plasti dip

OP
OP
shibby927

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm wanting to use plasti kote spray for badges, emblems and front billet grille. Does this stuff stay on any better? Don't want it scratching or coming off as easily as plasti dip

Sorry for the late response. Not sure on plasti kote. I used Krylon Fusion on the background of my front grille emblem and it's been through two winters now without an issue. If plasti kote is the same kind of product as Krylon Fusion I'm sure it would probably work depending on what it is that you're trying to paint with it.

NITROUSCHRIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
good write up for sure! i didnt even know this product existed!

SIDE NOTE: Did anyone watch the guys videos that did the wheels on his jeep? THEN watch his vid explaining the bullet hole! LOL!

syco killer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9l
So this stuff stays on pretty well? No chipping and stuff? And will it stay on the plastic part of my bumpers?(flexible)

hemipowerv8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have done this for a couple of years...my current Ram grille is holding up well as are the badges...also did the wheels on my Challenger and the mirrors and door handles...
Leaves a rubberized coating and if applied properly it will hold up for quite a while...and if not it's EASY to repair...at home...cheap.

OP
OP
shibby927

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It holds up rather well. I finally caught a chip on my front grille emblem. Not sure if it was from the car wash or from a rock hitting it but either way it's lasted probably about a year and a half. My truck sits outside year round and goes through the car wash during the winter time and occasionally during the Summer. Wouldn't take me anytime to peel it and respray it either.

The beauty of Plastidip is that you can always try it and if you don't like it just peel it off.

dgilbert189

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Had a f150 untill 2 weeks ago and I plastic dipped my rims. I used about a can on eack rim and did the insides as well as the outsides. Received many compliments on them and made the truck look awsome. Just bought my Ram and plan on blacking out the entire thing. The site mentioned is fantastic. will post some pics when done.

OP
OP
shibby927

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Had a f150 untill 2 weeks ago and I plastic dipped my rims. I used about a can on eack rim and did the insides as well as the outsides. Received many compliments on them and made the truck look awsome. Just bought my Ram and plan on blacking out the entire thing. The site mentioned is fantastic. will post some pics when done.

Cool I'd be interested in seeing your finished product!

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great write up. Been consisting this. Thanks

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice thread! I'd like to say that I've had my wheels dipped for about a year now. They still look great and only have little chips on the edges from normal wear.

I'd like to add that I spray on a fairly heavy first coat, then normal coats after. I found by doing this and letting them dry in direct sun really eliminates any bubbles or rough texture. Cleaning the wheels thoroughly is super important because if there is any dirt or brake dust you will see it mess up the texture of the plasti dip.

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
This is an awesome write up. I have been considering getting black wheels for my truck but I may just try this and make sure I like the look first and save some money in the process!

yarosig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 SO cummins
I don't know how all of you can stand to degrade your vehicles with such a low grade gimmick product. I've used this product, and will state this product is absolute crap that easily comes off anything that is not rusted metal.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know how all of you can stand to degrade your vehicles with such a low grade gimmick product. I've used this product, and will state this product is absolute crap that easily comes off anything that is not rusted metal.

worked fine on my rims and emblems - rims lasted over a year a the badges are still going strong... and I pressure wash my truck.

Some ppl are too lazy to do the proper prep work, usually the ones to complain that the product is crap too.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

mopars89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very nice I will be doing this to my wheels this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xevayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have thought about doing this to my Ram but not sure if I want to give it a permanent paint or plasti dip. I'd be basically painting the front bumper, rear bumper, rims, and grille.

OP
OP
shibby927

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have thought about doing this to my Ram but not sure if I want to give it a permanent paint or plasti dip. I'd be basically painting the front bumper, rear bumper, rims, and grille.

Nice thing about plasti dip is that you can use it to test the waters to see if you want something more permanent in the future. It's very forgiving and can be easily removed, and it's dirt cheap to top it off. I recommend trying the dip first. See if you like the look. If you like it with the dip enough you can just keep that, or you have your baseline for what you want it to look like more permanently.