starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pantherCat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have had a 2005 ram 1500 for a little over a year now. Since I bought it, every once in a while (like 2 once every 2 months), i go to start the truck it cranks for like 3 seconds. Sounds pirfectly healthy just needs to crank for a long time.

This a couple months ago I cought the command start taking 2 attempts to start the truck(cranks for like 2 seconds then takes a 2 second break and trys again) I started watching after that and it was taking 2 trys more of the time then not. After 2 weeks or so this problem went away.

Right around the same time when i found that when i started the truck it would begin to crank very slowly for a second and then speed up and crank normal. By slowly I mean the truck would crank the way it should when it's -40°F / -40°C but it was only 32°F / 0°C. This problem has gone away since then.

My command start has been sending me low voltage alert texts every once and a while aswell. My code reader shows the voltage start at 12 volts immediately after I shut the engine off. It then makes its way down to 10.9 or so over 5 minutes.

I took my battery to get tested and they said it's functioning better then it should have off the self a year ago.

Today I started my truck up, healthy crank for 3 seconds. I then filled the tank and went threw the car wash. Parked on a streat a few minutes later. I had only been gone for a minute and When I came back to start my truck the ignition turned on but all I got was a click. Tryed a few times, same thing. Tried a few minutes later and it started fine.

-intermittent lengthy crank time(past year and a half)
-slow dying cranking(for 4 weeks 3 months ago)
-low voltage alerts(this winter)
-doesn't crank at all, just clicks(today)

If anyone can help me out that would be awsome. I am so confused.