Tailgate Light Bar Install 02-05 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
"Recon White Lightning" Tailgate Light Bar is what I have.
First off removed the tailgate it will make your life easier.

Theres these small tabs with screws holding them together. Those tabs have adhesive backing to them. Remove those tabs and screws but keep the washer. You'll need new longer screws and nuts.

Placed a piece of thin wood down across top tailgate then laid down the light bar set it back and use some black tape to mark the location of the tailgate bar. Make sure its centered, If you have a helper have them hold the light bar if not just tape it down with some duct tape.
Then use a small drill bit, sorry I don't recall the exact size.
IMG_5050-2_zps7b3949ba.jpg

Start screwing the holes in through the plastic piece but don't go all the way in, just enough to mark the exact spots for each one on the metal. Once you've done that remove the light bar and drill the holes all the way in.

Place the light bar back use the original washer then put the screw through the hole place the nut in the back and start tightening and repeat. In the video you'll see the back part.

Heres a quick video to on how to wire up the back up lights.
[yt]iY9ZfuwM8hY[/yt]

I hope this helps some of you guys and gals.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I never had good luck with those at all. First one I ever had some dirtbag in Houston TX stole it off my truck. Second one went bad within a week of me installing it. Have not stuck one on my dodge and truthfully do not plan on it. They are nice but the headaches I went through are not worth it.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
I'd heat shrink those t-taps. The elements are horrible on them and the wires.

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I never had good luck with those at all. First one I ever had some dirtbag in Houston TX stole it off my truck. Second one went bad within a week of me installing it. Have not stuck one on my dodge and truthfully do not plan on it. They are nice but the headaches I went through are not worth it.

Thats why I bolted these on. And I understand about theft. My truck was stolen but I got it back and somebody try to steal my first aftermarket projector headlights which I loved but destroyed since they didn't understand they are bolted on.

And the quality of these Recons are way better than my first cheap set I bought on amazon.

I'd heat shrink those t-taps. The elements are horrible on them and the wires.

heat shrink those t-taps? How do you do this?