For thoes who want to upgrade rear gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well I am a do it yourself kinda guy. If I can help it a rather not ever have to bring my truck into the shop because I love working on my truck and get great satisfaction from doing something myself. Gears was something I planned on sending to the shop but after watching this video I think that with a little bit of help I may be able to get it done myself. This is on a f150 but our trucks shouldnt be much different. This guys has some pretty cools videos on youtube just thought I would show this one to you guys

Rear Differential Gear Swap on Ford F-150 - YouTube

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The general principles will be the same for most any diff.

I tried to setup gears myself. It was quite a pain.
After much battling (I think we set it 6 times to get the pattern right) we buttoned it all up.

During the break in period, something felt funny, got under there and had a TON of pinion slop. I guess during all the fun, I managed to get a nasty burr on the pinion threads, enough that I was able to torque it without it even being fully seated.

Needless to say, I destroyed the pinion bearings in the process. Thankfully the gears were ok. I had a shop take it apart and 'fix' it. I won't screw with gears ever again.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
This makes me think I can do this myself. And I might this spring.....hmmmmm. wonder if the front is much different?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This makes me think I can do this myself. And I might this spring.....hmmmmm. wonder if the front is much different?

front is slightly more involved because of the half shafts etc.
Anything is possible.;)