1995 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Temp Sensor Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
Alright guys. Need some quick help. So I just bought a ram and it would bog down at about 1500 rpms and wouldn't go any higher when it was in drive or in reverse. But in neutral it would hit the rev limiter without a problem. Long story short, after many different things, I found that the transmission fluid temp sensor was not plugged in and couldnt be plugged in because the tranny lines had been replaced by lines that didnt have a port for the sensor to be plugged in. Because of this, the cpu thought the tranny was overheating and put the engine in low power. I just bought a 1000 ohm resistor and my simple question is, how do I tie the resistor into the plug so the pcu thinks the tranny is fine. Theres 4 different ports I could solder the resistor into but I dont know which ones to tie into. Any help? Thanks a lot guys.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Limp mode no such thing for these trucks. As for that sensor it will not affect your truck's performance at all, most just delete that sensor like the po did to your truck. Sounds more like you have a plugged cat converter if you have one.

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
My mechanic plugged his reader into the truck and said that it was throwing a code for over heating transmission. And I already cut the cat off. It's breathing as it should. The limp mode is the only thing it could be.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes it will show a cel but thats it, most just live with it. As I posted no limp mode.

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
I can live with code but I can't live with the 1500 rpm limit. Any ideas on what else it could be?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
As per start with a comp test, then a fuel psi test 1995 is 39 psi @ the rail. Have you pulled any sparkplugs to see what shape they are in, checked the dizzy cap? Read the plenum sticky?

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
No I haven't done any of that. I'm only 19. I'm new to all of this

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Ok that's fine and Welcome to the world of mech work :). Are you going to try and do this work yourself? One thing you will most deff need is the factory service manual (see link below).

http://www.ramforum.com/f77/2nd_gen_service_manual-986/

Edit to add link; http://www.ramforum.com/f61/plenum_gasket_what_where_what_should_i_do_about_*info*-37635/

I would start with the compression test (about $30 for a tester) around an hour's work if all goes well. Before you do the test get a new dizzy cap and rotor, 10 plain copper core spark-plugs, new spark-plug wire set. Do NOT open any of the parts until you do the comp test, once the test is done and the numbers show up in the right range you can then install the new parts. If the numbers suck (under 120 psi or more than a 5% difference between them) you can still return the new parts.

If it's going into the shop ask for them to perform the comp test when you are present, have them show you what the comp test gauge is showing for each jug. As per if the test numbers show good get a tune-up done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
Thanks a lot. Ill be sure to get back to you once I do a compression test. Im currently in college and have three exams this week. So I might not get to it right away. I have a lot more ahead of me. But is there anyway I can contact you personally? Im also new to this forum. Im not too sure how it works.

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
Alright thanks a lot. Ill give the compression test a try. Not sure when ill get to it yet though. Im currently going to college and have 3 exams this week. Im going to be quite busy. Is there any way I can contact you directly? Im new to this forum too and not too sure hoe everything works.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 5 Speed
You should go to your nearest auto store (which is Advance Auto for me) and pick up a Haynes Manual for your truck. Trust me it comes in handy if you diy.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
hayden if you left click on their name next to their post then it shoud give the option to send private message

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Alright thanks a lot. Ill give the compression test a try. Not sure when ill get to it yet though. Im currently going to college and have 3 exams this week. Im going to be quite busy. Is there any way I can contact you directly? Im new to this forum too and not too sure hoe everything works.

Pm sent