1996 bearing seal replace DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i dont have any pictures for this, but was pretty simple. done on a 1996 ram on the passenger side.
take the wheel off and drum brake cover off.
1: need to take the rear differential cap off and let the fluid drain.
2: need to take the axle out. which i also have a DIY on that
http://www.ramforum.com/f77/1996-axle-replace-8709/
3: once the axle is out you can see the seal and the bearring behind that. the seal should comeout very easy. to get the bearring out just need a bearing puller. it only took us about 5 pulls to get it out. some said it would take a good hour for it to pop out though.
4:clean out where the seal is and we put a little lube so itll slide in easy
5: we used a big socket to push the bearing in. make sure whatever you may use covers the outside of the bearing. if it is touching the part that actually moves you can damage the bearing. push it all the way to the end and it is done.
6: now you have to put the seal in. we had a lot of trouble getting it to go in straight. and ended up bending the cheapo one. and then got the metal one. i had the idea of using Cclamps to get it in. one was placed at 12oclock, 3 oclock and 9 oclock. and with a small hammer hit the 6oclock. very slowly and twisted the clamps in at the same time so it went in nice and easy and straight. once it was 3/4 in we took the clamps off and hit it with a small hammer the rest of the way. hitting it on every side. you just want the seal to be a little flush with the rearend we hit the very end of the seal so when it also it the rearend the sound was different and we knew when to stop.

and just put it back together and your done!
if you have any questions just post them up and i will try to answer them the best i can

Also this is on a 1996 ram 1500. could be different on other years and models. i am not responsible for an damages or injuries you may encounter. this is just how we did it. it went in fine for us but can be different with other people and truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45